BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely, im not in the pack with my pitchfork just yet demanding Mowbray resigns out of principle or any of that nonsense.

My post was more aimed at Chaddy asking why we should overpay for "average" players. I used them examples to show how teams around us have managed to sign players that IMO would have improved us, relatively cheaply. Of course if we sign players like Armstrong who are better, then that point becomes obsolete anyway.

Chaddys theory wouldnt marry up with your theory anyway as I presume Mowbray wouldnt have long term targets that he considered to be average!

Oh yeah, completely agree with you. 

Agree about the targets too. I trust Mowbray to choose the right players and I don’t think he’ll also just panic and sign any players as a last resort either! Hopefully he’ll get who he wants over the line sharpish

22 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

I’m just playing devils advocate here but what if all of Mowbray’s targets are still available and the reason we’ve not got them over the line yet is because we’re still negotiating. 

I mean, the only legit targets I have seen haven’t gone anywhere yet. All these teams signing players Bolton, Wigan etc have signed players that we probably didn’t want.

Not for one minute suggesting we have loads of money but I do think we have money to spend, just trying to do the best deals for the players he wants maybe? I don’t buy into ‘missing out on targets’ this summer. He wants Bauer, Chapman and Armstrong - we’ve known this all summer. And they’ve not gone anywhere! IF they do go somewhere else I’ll get worried but for now I’ll just sit tight and trust the process 

I hope you are right.  I'm a natural sceptic at the best of times and hope it pans out that way.  What bothers me  is that I'm sure both Armstrong and Chapman want to come back.  Ergo, we've had a long time to sort that and neither appears to be any closer than the day they left.  Newcastle have said all along that Armstrong can go so why the hold up?  

IMO we need a signing of Armstrong's ilk through the door in the next few days.  The longer it goes on, the more likely we are to be starting the Championship on the back foot.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

3 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Oh yeah, completely agree with you. 

Agree about the targets too. I trust Mowbray to choose the right players and I don’t think he’ll also just panic and sign any players as a last resort either! Hopefully he’ll get who he wants over the line sharpish

He will be judged when we get to the season and the transfer window ends.

If he is left without the players in the positions that he set out to sign months ago, or hes left with ones below the quality he and we would want. Then I will have little time for any complaints, re budgets, agents, whatever. The examples from other clubs are of a loan, a free and a cheap (6 figure) buy so it shows that there are players out there.

That said, I trust that he will sign who he needs to sign, theres little we can do in the meantime but have hypothetical conversations sadly!

56 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Who is Barrie McKay Chaddy?

I suggest Charles Charlie Charles.  Wand of a foot.

my suggestion. 

since Karanka he has barely used him. so could be very well available to buy. His stats last season were under Warburton which was good enough. 

I think he would improve him. 

37 minutes ago, BiggusMickus said:

Going to Rangers for about £2m.

is he? 

cant see anything online at all

58 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Feels like groundhog day.

Mowbray didnt even do his usual "the markets difficult, agents are difficult, we are spinning different plates, we hope to sign some players soon bla bla bla" interview after the game. It was more, Nuttall needs game time so wed like to loan him out to continue his development but we might have no choice but to keep him.

Whilst I get that we want value for money, the market is what it is and the longer we leave it, the more that clubs will be able to cash in on our growing desperation. There will come a point where it is too late to say "why should we overpay for average players."

Im not too sure I swallow it anyway, I listed a number of players that our direct rivals have signed that would have improved us. Maybe we arent looking hard enough.

Maybe his first target for the striker position which I think is Armstrong in my opinion. Newcastle are tough to deal with Ashley there who is good business man and very good when it comes to getting what fees he wants. So lets say Mowbray is negotiating to get the fee down with some of the money based on appearances and goals. its can be a long negotiations

from the list you posted yes some names but we don't know what the wages, loans fees, agents fees involved so we cant judge or maybe doesn't want them  

24 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I hope you are right.  I'm a natural sceptic at the best of times and hope it pans out that way.  What bothers me  is that I'm sure both Armstrong and Chapman want to come back.  Ergo, we've had a long time to sort that and neither appears to be any closer than the day they left.  Newcastle have said all along that Armstrong can go so why the hold up?  

IMO we need a signing of Armstrong's ilk through the door in the next few days.  The longer it goes on, the more likely we are to be starting the Championship on the back foot.

The only thing I can think of is that we don’t value them at the same price their clubs do. Again, hopefully they’ll work that out and they’ll come through the door - naturally both clubs will budge as the deadline approaches but who knows if they’ll agree.

Agree with Armstrong though. Signing him would get the fans positivity back a bit

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He will be judged when we get to the season and the transfer window ends.

If he is left without the players in the positions that he set out to sign months ago, or hes left with ones below the quality he and we would want. Then I will have little time for any complaints, re budgets, agents, whatever. The examples from other clubs are of a loan, a free and a cheap (6 figure) buy so it shows that there are players out there.

That said, I trust that he will sign who he needs to sign, theres little we can do in the meantime but have hypothetical conversations sadly!

Hopefully these hypothetical conversations will turn in to happy discussions about some decent signings haha!

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe his first target for the striker position which I think is Armstrong in my opinion. Newcastle are tough to deal with Ashley there who is good business man and very good when it comes to getting what fees he wants. So lets say Mowbray is negotiating to get the fee down with some of the money based on appearances and goals. its can be a long negotiations

from the list you posted yes some names but we don't know what the wages, loans fees, agents fees involved so we cant judge or maybe doesn't want them  

Its all theories, maybe weve been haggling for Armstrong, maybe we havent even enquired, we dont know like you said.

All we can do is guess, suggest and hypothesise until the window closes. If our signings are players like Armstrong (permanently!) then we will all be happy. If they are worse than the ones that have gone to similar clubs to ourselves then he will be judged negatively. We all hope it is the former.

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely, im not in the pack with my pitchfork just yet demanding Mowbray resigns out of principle or any of that nonsense.

My post was more aimed at Chaddy asking why we should overpay for "average" players. I used them examples to show how teams around us have managed to sign players that IMO would have improved us, relatively cheaply. Of course if we sign players like Armstrong who are better, then that point becomes obsolete anyway.

Chaddys theory wouldnt marry up with your theory anyway as I presume Mowbray wouldnt have long term targets that he considered to be average!

I don't think many will be wanting Mowbray sacked. If we don't sign anyone worthy of holding down a first team place we all know where the blame will lie.

Three bold names who could be good loan options in terms of what we are looking for who haven't gone out from their clubs yet...

Reiss Nelson (Arsenal), Ademola Lookman (Everton) and Tammy Abraham (Chelsea) could all help solve our pace issues.

Tammy would be a massive step into solving our problems especially if he replicates his Bristol City form.

Edited by RovingRover
Spacing.

Just now, RovingRover said:

Three bold names who could be good loan options in terms of what we are looking for who haven't gone out from their clubs yet...

Reiss Nelson (Arsenal), Ademola Lookman (Everton) and Tammy Abraham (Chelsea) could all help solve our pace issues.

Tammy would be a massive step into solving our problems especially if he replicates his Bristol City form.

Ademola Lookman is being strongly linked with a 20m move to Leipzig. None of them are realistic sadly. Nelson at a push.

A reasonable name:

Brandon Barker- Left Winger with blistering pace. At Man City, lit it up last year at Hibs on loan. Rumoured to be attracting interest from Hull, maybe Loan, maybe transfer. Pace!

I have no problem being Man Citys affiliate bitch.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 2

• Backroom

I think signings like Davenport are the way forward for us, pick up the big boys scraps for pennies and hope they come good and earn us a few million down the line. Also take a punt on some young talents from lower down the leagues. 

Sad state of affairs but it’s where we are - if only Venkys and their puppet masters weren’t incompetent (or greedy in some cases) muppets we’d be looking at buying the 2018 version of Nathan Blake for £25 million or so now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ruaney said:

I’m just playing devils advocate here but what if all of Mowbray’s targets are still available and the reason we’ve not got them over the line yet is because we’re still negotiating. 

I mean, the only legit targets I have seen haven’t gone anywhere yet. All these teams signing players Bolton, Wigan etc have signed players that we probably didn’t want.

Not for one minute suggesting we have loads of money but I do think we have money to spend, just trying to do the best deals for the players he wants maybe? I don’t buy into ‘missing out on targets’ this summer. He wants Bauer, Chapman and Armstrong - we’ve known this all summer. And they’ve not gone anywhere! IF they do go somewhere else I’ll get worried but for now I’ll just sit tight and trust the process 

I'm not convinced we do want Armstrong and Chapman. I'm sure TM made a comment at the start of the summer that Newcastle's demands would probably put him out of our reach and whenever questioned about Chapman he has been lukewarm at best and arguably even rather uncomplimentary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Its all theories, maybe weve been haggling for Armstrong, maybe we havent even enquired, we dont know like you said.

All we can do is guess, suggest and hypothesise until the window closes. If our signings are players like Armstrong (permanently!) then we will all be happy. If they are worse than the ones that have gone to similar clubs to ourselves then he will be judged negatively. We all hope it is the former.

I think Armstrong is a target and someone Mowbray wants. Just my opinion. Only 17 days to go

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think signings like Davenport are the way forward for us, pick up the big boys scraps for pennies and hope they come good and earn us a few million down the line. Also take a punt on some young talents from lower down the leagues. 

Sad state of affairs but it’s where we are - if only Venkys and their puppet masters weren’t incompetent (or greedy in some cases) muppets we’d be looking at buying the 2018 version of Nathan Blake for £25 million or so now!

I agree thats the way forward and I think its Mowbray way aswell. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm not convinced we do want Armstrong and Chapman. I'm sure TM made a comment at the start of the summer that Newcastle's demands would probably put him out of our reach and whenever questioned about Chapman he has been lukewarm at best and arguably even rather uncomplimentary.

Or he saying this to keep cost down. 

I can understand his Chapman's comments

25 minutes ago, Tom said:

Thing is, with the sell-on clauses these clubs can demand, even when offloading their scraps, the chances are we won’t make any money on them anyway.

I’m actually surprised that no-one has yet tried to get the lawyers in to argue that sell-on clauses are an unfair practice akin to third party ownership. Although I suspect it can work both ways, the cards are stacked in favour of the bigger club - no matter which side of the transaction.

Edited by Stuart

17 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agreed. They are easy suggestions because they were here last season. The only reason Mowbray has even discussed them is because journalists have asked him directly about them as they were here last season, therefore its a bit different than asking him about other speculated targets.

Id love Armstrong back but im less than optimistic.

33 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

True.  Although Interesting that Elliot Bennett tweeted a month or so ago that he (Bennet) was trying to get them (Armstrong and Chapman back.)  Tweet was obviously light hearted. However, unlikely to have been made if there wasn't genuine interest-at that stage.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

10 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

This I don't get. There were some useful players in league one.  Most of whom have now been snapped up.  Wonder if TM set his sights too high and subsequently been priced out of the market?

More likely that, with Venkys, money is never available when you need it.