BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I don't think We're after Armstrong anyway but I find it hard to think of a scenario whereby his price would go down substantially.

Hold steady if he doesn't particularly  rip up any trees maybe.

Who do you reckon we're after? If it's Gallagher, do you think that's it? I can't work out who else it could be - surely we're not out of options...

2 hours ago, TruRover said:

So apparently we want a new centre half after loaning out Wharton according to the LT. I personally think we are actually covered there even with Wharton gone, but what is the point of loaning out a player which could have been useful in the squad and first team for it to then leave us short in the eyes of TM. Our budget clearly is low so why not save the money from buying a defender if we can just use some of our youth players. Doesn't make sense to me.

This whole thing is odd. The only way I could explain it is if Tony thinks we are close to signing someone we have wanted for a while, either a hotter prospect than Wharton (maybe with a bit more experience) or someone who can challenge Mulgrew and Lenihan, or at least isn't far behind and will provide better backup than the current lot when one of their injury spells kick in. Regardless, I hope it's not at the detriment of our vital need for attackers.

What has really bemused me is Tony's comments in the paper today. We had League 1 loan offers for Wharton, but held off because we needed him for pre season matches!! What the hell? Those matches dont matter, theyre just for fitness. Put one of the other kids in there ffs. Now those League 1 clubs have moved on, and we just throw him out to League 2 as if no other League 1 clubs might want him (they may have assumed he wasn't available yet). All badly handled for me. One of the most inexplicable things Tony has done, the whole situation. I usually find him a lot more sensible and logical.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Agree Paul. 

I think there is bids in for players and its a waiting game. 

Mowbray likes playing wide forwards in his formation/system. Now this might not be your way but it is his way

I don't necessarily think he want's to play that way but beggars can't be choosers and he had to put Antonnson and then Armstrong out there because we'd nobody else.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

I don't think We're after Armstrong anyway but I find it hard to think of a scenario whereby his price would go down substantially.

If their asking price is 3 million, more often than not they will settle for 2-2.5 million. Rare that clubs get their asking price met and don't come down on it.

Just now, bluebruce said:

This whole thing is odd. The only way I could explain it is if Tony thinks we are close to signing someone we have wanted for a while, either a hotter prospect than Wharton (maybe with a bit more experience) or someone who can challenge Mulgrew and Lenihan, or at least isn't far behind and will provide better backup than the current lot when one of their injury spells kick in. Regardless, I hope it's not at the detriment of our vital need for attackers.

What has really bemused me is Tony's comments in the paper today. We had League 1 loan offers for Wharton, but held off because we needed him for pre season matches!! What the hell? Those matches dont matter, theyre just for fitness. Put one of the other kids in there ffs. Now those League 1 clubs have moved on, and we just throw him out to League 2 as if no other League 1 clubs might want him (they may have assumed he wasn't available yet). All badly handled for me. One of the most inexplicable things Tony has done, the whole situation. I usually find him a lot more sensible and logical.

Exactly, a really odd decision. He needs to be playing at a higher level than Lincoln City.

Maybe it’s simple? Lincoln guarantee him the games others wouldn’t? Maybe he likes Lincoln?

I don’t think there is a huge amount of difference between the leagues of im honest, but there’s definitely a difference between a season with 40/50 games, and a season with 3/4 starts and a handful of sub appearances.

• Like 1

If their asking price is 3 million, more often than not they will settle for 2-2.5 million. Rare that clubs get their asking price met and don't come down on it.

I don't think we've got the money. We certainly show no signs of being prepared to spend that sort of money.

Just now, Biz said:

Maybe it’s simple? Lincoln guarantee him the games others wouldn’t? Maybe he likes Lincoln?

I don’t think there is a huge amount of difference between the leagues of im honest, but there’s definitely a difference between a season with 40/50 games, and a season with 3/4 starts and a handful of sub appearances.

No manager can guarantee a player games for very long. You play like a dummy for three or four games on the bounce and you're out, of course this rule doesn't apply to Jason Lowe.

Just now, Ruaney said:

Who do you reckon we're after? If it's Gallagher, do you think that's it? I can't work out who else it could be - surely we're not out of options...

It would appear we might have been after Gallagher on loan but that interest will no longer be live if Southampton can find someone daft enough to fork out 7m on a permanent basis for him.

I don't pretend to have any idea of who we might be after, I just don't see we are necessarily after Armstrong. The fans have made the connection because he was here last season and they liked him whereas the indication from the Club has been that he is out of our price range.

We will probably have at the Club an absolute mountain of information from agents about hundreds of players who are available. We might not quite be on the Z list yet but I'd imagine we are desperately sifting through the X or Y list trying to find someone half decent we can afford.

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:54, callumrovers said:

Keep calm on the Maddison front. Things happening behind the scenes.

any news? I'm pretty sure we aren't in for him but if we are any info regarding what is happening behind the scenes on the deal.

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Exactly. Or more commonly these days the Clubs reach a Compromise of say £2m plus various instalments bringing it up to a max of £3m  with add ons if a myriad of conditions are met.

• Moderation Lead
21 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Where is MGP's Countdownometer when it's needed?

Like real money in a fake budget ..... not there.

Please don't encourage him......:rover:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Mowbray doesnt like names out in the press and lets to keep it close house. Only people likely to know who we after are Mowbray, Venus, Harvey, Slivester and Waggott. 

Mowbray met with some players and agents back in May/June and wasnt impress by most. Either due to players wages and agents fees demans, attitude or appearence. 

Just now, Biz said:

Maybe Mowbray trust Cowley to look after him and use him right. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think we've got the money. We certainly show no signs of being prepared to spend that sort of money.

No signs?

Didnt we pay money for Davenport and Rothwell? Oh yeah. 

We will have money to spend. 

The CB situation is an odd one. Our attempt to sign Bauer from Charlton is pretty much the only concrete rumour we've had all summer on potential incomings other than Davenport and Rothwell. It was some time ago and raised one or two eyebrows at the time as it seemed CB was the least of our worries and it seemed we might have some money to play with if paying out for Bauer to be number 3 CB.

Everything has gone quiet on that front and then suddenly we get the new contract for Scott Wharton before he is immediately loaned out to Lincoln for the season. I can understand that move for him, but surely that means that a new CB is imminent?

Unless you're a cynic like me. I ask myself what other reason the club might have for loaning Wharton out for a season when we're short on numbers as it is. e.g. we need to shed some people off the wage bill before incomings are allowed. I raised that as a suspicion last week following the absences of Gladwin, Caddis and Hart. Maybe with Wharton out on loan and a couple of those out the door Mowbray might have some free wages to play with.

2 hours ago, TruRover said:

So apparently we want a new centre half after loaning out Wharton according to the LT. I personally think we are actually covered there even with Wharton gone, but what is the point of loaning out a player which could have been useful in the squad and first team for it to then leave us short in the eyes of TM. Our budget clearly is low so why not save the money from buying a defender if we can just use some of our youth players. Doesn't make sense to me.

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray doesnt like names out in the press and lets to keep it close house. Only people likely to know who we after are Mowbray, Venus, Harvey, Slivester and Waggott. 

Mowbray met with some players and agents back in May/June and wasnt impress by most. Either due to players wages and agents fees demans, attitude or appearence. 

No signs?

Who is Harvey?

17 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Really?....personally think he is 2 million overpriced and as Tyrone said he blew hot and cold in a lower league last season. A run of games where he doesn't play and starts sulking and wants away then his price will plummet. 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

No signs?

I'm not saying any have been leaked out. I was merely asking for opinions - you seem to throw out opinions like this on a daily basis but I got pulled on it when I ask for some ? :)

31 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If Waggott is to be believed he now has decision making abilities on finances. I find that hard to believe. Maybe on how much is spent down at Ewood on maintenance etc. but not on how much we spend on transfer fees.

I wouldn't have thought that either. By way of comparison John Williams had to submit an overall annual budget to the Walker Trust each year including for transfers and had autonomy within that budget.

However if the manager and/Or John thought it would be a good idea to sign a particular player which took us outside the budget he couldn't just authorise it they would have had to go cap in hand to the Trust and would certainly in the latter days no doubt have been knocked back.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Why can’t there be more balanced opinions? All of the communication from the manager suggested he was happy with the budget, knew exactly which players he wanted (based on ability and mentality) and that he wanted to sign them as early as possible.

Other than being unable to get them done early I see no change in that rhetoric. So why are there so many assuming ‘we’re skint’ or ‘we’ve no plan b’ etc? 

TM appears to refuse to settle for players unless they have the right character etc. So maybe, just maybe he doesn’t want Adulkan or Mcmanaman or Wildschut...

I’m getting worried too but surely we need to get to the end of the window before the hysteria kicks in? 

Everybody trusts Mowbray.

Nobody trusts Venkys.

Rhodes and parachute money aside.  They have no form for paying decent transfer fees.  Any signings since have generally been  made on the back of sales.  Yet a decent kitty  is clearly required.

Even Ipswich are shelling out a few bob.  

A bit of hysteria amongst the fans may increase pressure on the board to go back to India cap - in hand.  It may not.  

The squad is toothless and will be straight back down. 

No point getting hysterical once the window is closed.  Nowt can be done then.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 7

“It’s not frustrating. I understand why the deals we’re working on haven’t fallen in to place yet but I’m sure they will.” #Rovers https://t.co/MnKvDoWKXT

Rovers have looked in to the possibility of an Ewood return for Adam Armstrong who scored nine times during a five month loan spell at the end of last season.

Newcastle United are reportedly willing to sell the 21-year-old, who also worked under Mowbray at Coventry City on loan in 2015/16, for a fee in the region of £3million rather than sanction another loan deal.

Armstrong has two years remaining on his Magpies deal, so Rovers would need to come to an compromise over the wage demands of the England youth international should they pursue that deal.

Edited by chaddyrovers

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No signs?

How much money did we have to spend on Davenport and Rothwell Chaddy ? Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention but I don't recall a fee being mentioned.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces