BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As much as I get that the market is inflated and difficult, its no good constantly bleating on about it as if we dont bring in enough that excuse wont help us after the season starts.

Are 50m for Richarlyson, 7m for Gallagher etc, stupidly exaggerated fees? Yes but equally, if youve got anything about you, there are definitely players out there for reasonable fees that have gone elsewhere whilst weve sat on our hands, and there are obviously more out there if we look hard enough, even if I get the impression that Mowbrays budget consists of what he can fish out from down the side of his settee.

Said all along, we have absolutely no pace out wide, meanwhile, Adelakun has joined Bristol City, Gwoin Edwards has joined Ipswich, Wildshut has gone to Bolton on loan, and to a lesser extent, McManaman has gone back to Wigan, all 4 would have walked into our team and thus improved us for very cheap. Im not saying that theres not better out there, dependant on our budget, but them 4 players ive mentioned all went to clubs that id expect to be in the bottom half with us, so why arent we at least competitive. For a bit more, we know Armstrong is unwanted by Newcastle and Maddison has a bargain release clause, them 2 are better than the 4 ive mentioned prior but probably well out of our range.

Great point, I also think we are missing out on obtainable players, esp Edwards. Paul Hurst going from Shrewsbury to manage Ipswich is wasting no time picking up talent from League One. Seems like he is picking up Ellis Harrison (who we were linked with) from Bristol Rovers too. Suprised he hasn't picked up Jon Nolan from his former club yet.

• Like 1

Just now, briansol said:

Our downward spiral started in the summer 2015. After missing out on play-offs again event with Gestede/Rhodes due both scoring 20+,  we had to sell one of them to balance the books. The club chose to keep Rhodes and sell Gestede. Gestede was a much better focal point for our attacks with his ability to keep the ball up. Rhodes is basicly a luxury that a dominiating team can have to stick in the net. 

Rhodes went anyhow in january 2016 and we unravelled with relegation the following season. 

That said, we might be in a better position now with a great manager and decent core of players you can relate too. 

We obviously differ in our views of Rhodes value to Rovers as a player.

He was bought to score goals and did. A failure to get promotion due to our then manager. Indeed it can be strongly argued that Rhodes goals kept us in the Championship.

I hope our transfer activity picks up and TM can pull off a few tricks. I am less than hopeful.

Just now, briansol said:

Great point, I also think we are missing out on obtainable players, esp Edwards. Paul Hurst going from Shrewsbury to manage Ipswich is wasting no time picking up talent from League One. Seems like he is picking up Ellis Harrison (who we were linked with) from Bristol Rovers too. Suprised he hasn't picked up Jon Nolan from his former club yet.

Yep, Ipswich, Bolton and Wigan will all be near the bottom with us youd imagine, and Bristol City will struggle with a very average manager and their best 2 players sold.

Now none of them are necessarily exceptional championship players, but they would definitely have improved us for little cost, and given us direct running and mobility. So there are players out there, and its why I take all the reasons/excuses ive seen, lack of money, agents proving difficult to work with etc with a massive pinch of salt. There are players out there and we are lagging behind.

Just now, briansol said:

This I don't get. There were some useful players in league one.  Most of whom have now been snapped up.  Wonder if TM set his sights too high and subsequently been priced out of the market?

IF we some day would take a look at foreign players I would recommend these three players from the norwegian Eliteserie

https://www.transfermarkt.com/babajide-david-akintola/profil/spieler/353775 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/daouda-karamoko-bamba/profil/spieler/285472

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ohi-omoijuanfo/profil/spieler/169368

All three are young and quick players. And they don't play for the biggest clubs either.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

We obviously differ in our views of Rhodes value to Rovers as a player.

He was bought to score goals and did. A failure to get promotion due to our then manager. Indeed it can be strongly argued that Rhodes goals kept us in the Championship.

I hope our transfer activity picks up and TM can pull off a few tricks. I am less than hopeful.

Rhodes was a tremendous player for us. My point was at that point Gestede would've provided more value to the team than Rhodes, mostly because the rest of the team was poorer than when he first arrived. But you're right that the manager problem was much greater than any player.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Yep, Ipswich, Bolton and Wigan will all be near the bottom with us youd imagine, and Bristol City will struggle with a very average manager and their best 2 players sold.

Now none of them are necessarily exceptional championship players, but they would definitely have improved us for little cost, and given us direct running and mobility. So there are players out there, and its why I take all the reasons/excuses ive seen, lack of money, agents proving difficult to work with etc with a massive pinch of salt. There are players out there and we are lagging behind.

I would prefer to wait for the right players rather than get players in now for the sake of it, as some fans on here want. 

The signings made by the clubs you mention are bang average. If we signed them, there would be negativity around them. 

Take it with a pinch of salt all you like, it's the reality. You say players are put there, who do you mean? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

The premier league is really causing financial problems for the teams below and young players.  Adam Armstrong is a prime example.  The lad is available for £3 million.  He is likely £20k plus at Newcastle. Peanuts to them but I imagine above anything our current squad are on. 

Armstrong indicated he would like to return.  However, he would likely have to take a wage drop to do so.  Does he want first team football enough to slash his wage  - with the potential to double it if he has a couple of good seasons.  Or will he be being advised to sit on the money and hope somebody comes and matches his wages or increases them.

I am guessing it is currently the latter.

There must be many young premier players in the same boat. 

22 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Victor Anichebe. On a free from China, poor record in front of goal and some what probe to injury, I'd probably take him for a year give us a bit of presence

Good lord no.

Injury prone and will want huge wages.

Like Glenn Johnson, the total opposite of what we need to be bringing to the club. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would prefer to wait for the right players rather than get players in now for the sake of it, as some fans on here want. 

As much as that perhaps underestimates the importance like Mowbray suggesting of bedding new players in and starting off strongly (unlike our last 2 seasons) id agree.

But I think thats an unfair comment. People arent saying lets bring in players for the sake of it. Obviously if we sign superior players to the ones mentioned this/next week then people will be happy. Our fans will become twitchy the longer time goes on because our owners are proven to let us down, time and time again. My list just shows, bar McManaman who I wouldnt personally want really, that 3 of our rivals have signed players for cheap that would have also improved us.

I like Carlton Morris as mentioned a few pages ago, people say his goal scoring isn’t great but young players tend to start slow before getting consistent goalscoring seasons. He reminds me of Troy deeney  who had a similar record early in his career . He would be a good option with pace and power 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tormund said:

Spot on.

We won the U23’s last season, must be a few that can step up. Obviously Travis and Tomlinson being two. Costello and Wharton next? We’ve got to give these guys a chance if the money isn’t there.

Nuttall was the top scorer in that team. Place him in the 1st team and the gulf in experience and capabilities are laid bare.

For me, the only U21 ready for the 1st team now is Travis.

• Like 1

Just now, RovingRover said:

Nuttall was the top scorer in that team. Place him in the 1st team and the gulf in experience and capabilities are laid bare.

Maybe so, but he never had a full run in the team. But yes I don’t think he’s all that. 

There must be others other than Travis surely? Rankin Costello is 19 this week, he should be breaking through at that age. 

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

How do you come to that re-writing of history?

What is your thought process?

I am genuinely intrigued.

Exactly. Neither Rhodes nor Gestede were here when we were relegated so it seems extremely harsh to blame Rhodes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJW said:

Was just about to write something similar .. When joe average players are costing that amount of money it makes me want to do something else on a Saturday 

It's not my money. I just watch the football at Ewood and let others worry about the finances. It doesn't really affect me personally.

• Like 2

Well taken in enough caffiene while reading these pages to start my day and again nothing noteworthy ti brighten my day.  What are we going to do.  Very average players bandued around at 7mil, games gone bonkers.  Off to put a/c in my workshop.

Just now, RovingRover said:

Strongly disagree. He got off to a great start in the first team then was dropped as soon as Samuel was fit.

Picking Samuel over Nuttall was one of the handful of things Mowbray got wrong last season. Funny that they signed up Joe to a new contract right before he was dropped.

I agree that Travis is the only player capable of being in the first team at the moment. However Tomlinson and Wharton are good enough to be in the squad. Wharton should be ahead of downing and whittingham shouldn't be taking Tomlinson's place. It really frustrates me to see signings like Harper and downing when there are lads clearly as capable in our very own youth system

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I like Carlton Morris as mentioned a few pages ago, people say his goal scoring isn’t great but young players tend to start slow before getting consistent goalscoring seasons. He reminds me of Troy deeney  who had a similar record early in his career . He would be a good option with pace and power 

He's a willing workhorse who'll run all day but he's not a finisher. As things stand we won't be making enough chances to accommodate a player like that.

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Strongly disagree. He got off to a great start in the first team then was dropped as soon as Samuel was fit.

Picking Samuel over Nuttall was one of the handful of things Mowbray got wrong last season. Funny that they signed up Joe to a new contract right before he was dropped.

Nuttall wasn't good enough last season Stuart. He'd have to improve 100% to get in the team this season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I agree that Travis is the only player capable of being in the first team at the moment. However Tomlinson and Wharton are good enough to be in the squad. Wharton should be ahead of downing and whittingham shouldn't be taking Tomlinson's place. It really frustrates me to see signings like Harper and downing when there are lads clearly as capable in our very own youth system

Absolutely.  Wharton would be on the bench ahead of Downing for me.  Lincoln fans seemed to rate him. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The signings made by the clubs you mention are bang average. If we signed them, there would be negativity around them. 

Take it with a pinch of salt all you like, it's the reality. You say players are put there, who do you mean? 

You can dress it up anyway you like, it's obvious to me that whatever thoughts Mowbray had about being able to make some decent early signings have foundered on the rocks of the Chicken Chokers complete indifference to our fate.

• Like 2