BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

1 hour ago, Swanson said:

Interesting, thanks. Of course, with some exceptions, the list does only show where they are now, a lot later, with inevitably retired or dwindling careers in most cases given ages. It doesn't always tell you how they did for WBA or clubs inbetween. Or costs.

I feel like Tony’s budget which he thought was good has been exposed as way off the pace for transfer fees and wages. I think it has really taken him by surprise and he is trying to get the best out of what he has asked for. I am worried that we could be left with getting players that are not on any of the lists!! But I hope that I am wrong. 

I also don’t think he will look abroad as he is trying to create a tight knit British based team similar to how Dyke achieved promotion. 

• Like 1

End of the day the market is what it is. A combination of parachute payments and owners desperate for the ever increasing PL riches have transformed the league in our only short absence.

The owners either accept that and up budgets accordingly or we come to terms with the fact we will be largely a bottom reaches of the Championship club (at best).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

Just now, Mattyblue said:

End of the day the market is what it is. A combination of parachute payments and owners desperate for the ever increasing PL riches have transformed the league in our only short absence.

The owners either accept that and up budgets accordingly or we come to terms with the fact we will be largely a bottom reaches of the Championship club (at best).

Your statement about the market is correct. Going off the interviews from Waggott and Mowbray from the India trip, it seems that they've been granted their "responsible" budget they asked for.  A major issue for us is FFP compliance. Waggott was clear that big spending will send us back to FFP penalty.

If you want the club to run responsible you have to accept that spending wise (transfers/wages) will be mid/lower championship. We have a great manager, a decent core of young players with potential to improve and great team spirit. Somebody mentioned the Burnley/Huddersfield model which seems a good fit at the moment. 

For me it seems we have to gamble on lower league players making the step (Bradley Dacks of this world), rather than buying established Championship players. Will probably some duds along the way, but at least we won't go bankrupt on another Leon Best deal. 

• Like 2

Given that transfer fees are spiralling upwards and upwards , I would think that it would lead to more and more money being invested in youth teams and academies. If a young player like Gallagher can be potentially sold for £7 mill then a well run academy would be turning over a healthy profit. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, renrag said:

Not  making any comparisons but Shearer had 23 in 118 when we signed him

Along with raw power and pace

Football really has gone mad - it will surely go pop eventually if average young players are going for 50 million in the PL and the likes of Gallacher are going to set you back 7 million in the Championship.

• Like 2

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

Given that transfer fees are spiralling upwards and upwards , I would think that it would lead to more and more money being invested in youth teams and academies. If a young player like Gallagher can be potentially sold for £7 mill then a well run academy would be turning over a healthy profit. 

Yes but there is the crux of the problem when we keep bringing in players to fill spaces which our young players should be doing. Examples las season Tomlinson and Travis not getting bench places but we bring in Harper from WBA to do it. Mowbray has little confidence in our youth. Two more young players arrived this summer to compete with these two.

• Like 6

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Yes but there is the crux of the problem when we keep bringing in players to fill spaces which our young players should be doing. Examples las season Tomlinson and Travis not getting bench places but we bring in Harper from WBA to do it. Mowbray has little confidence in our youth. Two more young players arrived this summer to compete with these two.

Davenport could be a real coup though at 500k with this increase in fees - could be worth 25 mil by next season lol

32 minutes ago, briansol said:

Your statement about the market is correct. Going off the interviews from Waggott and Mowbray from the India trip, it seems that they've been granted their "responsible" budget they asked for.  A major issue for us is FFP compliance. Waggott was clear that big spending will send us back to FFP penalty.

If you want the club to run responsible you have to accept that spending wise (transfers/wages) will be mid/lower championship. We have a great manager, a decent core of young players with potential to improve and great team spirit. Somebody mentioned the Burnley/Huddersfield model which seems a good fit at the moment. 

For me it seems we have to gamble on lower league players making the step (Bradley Dacks of this world), rather than buying established Championship players. Will probably some duds along the way, but at least we won't go bankrupt on another Leon Best deal. 

When the likes of Bournmouth get insignificent fines several years after they had premiership riches means that many championship clubs are ignoring FFP rules in the pursuit of the premiership. If FFP is to work it needs enforcing properly not just banning a couple of clubs from the transfer market.

As we blew our parachute payments we can't comment on parachute payments spiralling championship prices out of control.

Just now, Tom said:

Along with raw power and pace

Yeah, stats is not everything. Gestede had probably the worst goal-ratio of any striker we bought and turned out great. The way we are set up we need a striker that brings more than just goals. If we had kept Gestede rather than Rhodes, we would probably never been relegated. 

We need to find a new Graham, someone who can keep the ball up and bring Dack into play, which is not easy. Graham himself is proof that it often takes years to bulk up and get experience enough to be really productive. He was a young talent at Boro, but needed multiple loans and dropping down to League One with Carlisle before climbing the ladder again. Think he was part of deadly duo with our Joe Garner at one time there.

Where is the last city wonderkid we signed? Last season playing against us at Oldham so I'm not holding my breath. lol.

Was a joke really about the price of average players skyrocketing.

Still, I have a better feeling about Davenport compared to Byrne, at least he has shown he can standout in a Championship team. Burton fans really rated him.

When the likes of Bournmouth get insignificent fines several years after they had premiership riches means that many championship clubs are ignoring FFP rules in the pursuit of the premiership. If FFP is to work it needs enforcing properly not just banning a couple of clubs from the transfer market.

As we blew our parachute payments we can't comment on parachute payments spiralling championship prices out of control.

The rules has changed since then.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-xia-china-ffp-12408433

With this change, a wide range of punishments are now available.

Nothing is off the table; the Football League are now able to impose a points deduction during the current season, or demote a club from an automatic promotion position into the play-offs (or out of the play-offs altogether).

Transfer embargoes are also available (with the earliest one potentially applying during the Summer 2017 Transfer window.

Edited by briansol

2 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Spot on.

We won the U23’s last season, must be a few that can step up. Obviously Travis and Tomlinson being two. Costello and Wharton next? We’ve got to give these guys a chance if the money isn’t there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, briansol said:

Yeah, stats is not everything. Gestede had probably the worst goal-ratio of any striker we bought and turned out great. The way we are set up we need a striker that brings more than just goals. If we had kept Gestede rather than Rhodes, we would probably never been relegated. 

We need to find a new Graham, someone who can keep the ball up and bring Dack into play, which is not easy. Graham himself is proof that it often takes years to bulk up and get experience enough to be really productive. He was a young talent at Boro, but needed multiple loans and dropping down to League One with Carlisle before climbing the ladder again. Think he was part of deadly duo with our Joe Garner at one time there.

How do you come to that re-writing of history?

What is your thought process?

I am genuinely intrigued.

• Like 1

As much as I get that the market is inflated and difficult, its no good constantly bleating on about it as if we dont bring in enough that excuse wont help us after the season starts.

Are 50m for Richarlyson, 7m for Gallagher etc, stupidly exaggerated fees? Yes but equally, if youve got anything about you, there are definitely players out there for reasonable fees that have gone elsewhere whilst weve sat on our hands, and there are obviously more out there if we look hard enough, even if I get the impression that Mowbrays budget consists of what he can fish out from down the side of his settee.

Said all along, we have absolutely no pace out wide, meanwhile, Adelakun has joined Bristol City, Gwoin Edwards has joined Ipswich, Wildshut has gone to Bolton on loan, and to a lesser extent, McManaman has gone back to Wigan, all 4 would have walked into our team and thus improved us for very cheap. Im not saying that theres not better out there, dependant on our budget, but them 4 players ive mentioned all went to clubs that id expect to be in the bottom half with us, so why arent we at least competitive. For a bit more, we know Armstrong is unwanted by Newcastle and Maddison has a bargain release clause, them 2 are better than the 4 ive mentioned prior but probably well out of our range.

• Like 1

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Victor Anichebe. On a free from China, poor record in front of goal and some what probe to injury, I'd probably take him for a year give us a bit of presence

I bet hes glad you arent representing him with that summary! For all those reasons, a definite no.

• Like 3

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Victor Anichebe. On a free from China, poor record in front of goal and some what probe to injury, I'd probably take him for a year give us a bit of presence

Confusing. I think the lack of goals and being injury prone is reason enough to leave well alone 

The fact he went to China in the first place does tells me enough that I doubt he would have the hunger or desire to care much about keeping us in the Championship and would instead be another to sign for a final payday.

• Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

How do you come to that re-writing of history?

What is your thought process?

I am genuinely intrigued.

Our downward spiral started in the summer 2015. After missing out on play-offs again event with Gestede/Rhodes due both scoring 20+,  we had to sell one of them to balance the books. The club chose to keep Rhodes and sell Gestede. Gestede was a much better focal point for our attacks with his ability to keep the ball up. Rhodes is basicly a luxury that a dominiating team can have to stick in the net. 

Rhodes went anyhow in january 2016 and we unravelled with relegation the following season. 

That said, we might be in a better position now with a great manager and decent core of players you can relate too.