BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Had a lot of the same thoughts about it not seeming to fit...but the simple answer is, maybe TM is about to change our style. I feel like our passing moves have improved a lot over the last couple of games. Maybe he thinks it's time, and that BA will make it all come together.

In theory we'd have the personnel to play 4-4-2 with devastating effect with Chappers and BA on board. Wouldn't really suit Dack though and can't see him being frozen out. 

Like others have said I can't see us changing to a system without a "in the hole" role for Dack. But that does not necessarily rule out 442. Plenty of number 10s (and that's what I consider Dack is) have profited very well in a 442 - Sheringham, Le Tissier, Zola, Bergkamp. Obviously they were higher level players but the point stands.

Though I guess the fly in the ointment is I can't really think of a number 10 in a 442 playing at the moment? In fact very few teams play 442 at all.

Also if we've got cash to spend and we're trying to go up it would be reasonable to sign both Gallagher and BA. Then we would have 2 pacy forwards who can also cover wide (BA, Armstrong), two target men (Graham, Gallagher) and two number 10s (Dack, Rothwell). That means we would have the cover for injuries and we can swap players round if they go off the boil.

If we just sign BA if Graham gets injured we could struggle.

Edited by joey_big_nose

We could end up with something like this?

--------------------------Raya

Nyambe---Lenihan-----Rodwell----Bell

------------------Travis-------Evans

------------BA-----------Dack------Armstrong

-------------------------Graham

Subs : Leut, Mulgrew, Williams, Bennett, Rothwell, Chapman, Gallagher

Yes please! Quality all over the pitch and on the bench.

• Like 2

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Come on then Madon, who we on with today we can talk about? 

Zaha? Rashford? 

Sorry, not a clue if anything is happening today.

BA is still on though.

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Very possible. If we don't sign Reed permanently though I think we can expect another CM brought in.

2 minutes ago, Madon said:

Sorry, not a clue if anything is happening today.

BA is still on though.

I can't help get excited about BA! I was under the impression that Gallagher was all but done and Nuttall out was expected yesterday by Coventry's manager.

So something is holding it up/putting it on hold... Maybe something like us chasing a different striker as first choice that's just been made available to us... ;) 

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Donis was even faster than that Bulgarian lad that we nearly signed that did 100m in about 4 seconds.

Didnt he score a worldie for us? Want to say it was against Everton 

Donis was actually brilliant. We simply never used him- from management to fellow players. Sutty in particular had a blind spot when it came to overlaps on his right.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I know where it came from - I forgot who, but someone on here admitted they changed his Wikipedia page to say he had done the 100 metres in under 10 seconds or something. It then appeared in the press in several reports, because so many journalists are such lazy bastards!

Popov, I really wanted us to sign him too. Thought he looked very exciting and just what we needed at the time.

Edit - just took a look at Wiki (I know, after what I just said!) for Popov to see if it mentions what happened. According to that flawless, un-editable source, the move broke down after everything was agreed because he didn't get a work permit! Went on to land 80 caps and be the Bulgarian captain...good work, government peeps. I remember it used to feel like only clubs of our stature or lower got work permits rejected - the big clubs got to sign whoever they wanted for their U-18s, who would never feature, because if they were interested then they must be special players.

Yes it was the f...ing Home Office who killed that one over number of full caps. This was before Bulgaria got full freedom of movement. This will return as a problem for signing the continental youngsters people on here are complaining we are not looking at. Who on earth would want another Nzonzi anyway? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

If we were ever too sign BA then at least play him upfront!! 

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

In theory we'd have the personnel to play 4-4-2 with devastating effect with Chappers and BA on board. Wouldn't really suit Dack though and can't see him being frozen out. 

He'll be going in the summer though, so maybe Mowbray is looking long term.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Like others have said I can't see us changing to a system without a "in the hole" role for Dack. But that does not necessarily rule out 442. Plenty of number 10s (and that's what I consider Dack is) have profited very well in a 442 - Sheringham, Le Tissier, Zola, Bergkamp. Obviously they were higher level players but the point stands.

Though I guess the fly in the ointment is I can't really think of a number 10 in a 442 playing at the moment? In fact very few teams play 442 at all.

Also if we've got cash to spend and we're trying to go up it would be reasonable to sign both Gallagher and BA. Then we would have 2 pacy forwards who can also cover wide (BA, Armstrong), two target men (Graham, Gallagher) and two number 10s (Dack, Rothwell). That means we would have the cover for injuries and we can swap players round if they go off the boil.

If we just sign BA if Graham gets injured we could struggle.

I don't see Gallagher as a " Target man ".

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Donis was actually brilliant. We simply never used him- from management to fellow players. Sutty in particular had a blind spot when it came to overlaps on his right.

I saw him playing against Ajax in the European Cup. He ran them ragged down the right hand side. When Winston Bogarde was the first choice Dutch left back Donis destroyed him. What went wrong at Rovers I don't know, personality clash ?

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Yes it was the f...ing Home Office who killed that one over number of full caps. This was before Bulgaria got full freedom of movement. This will return as a problem for signing the continental youngsters people on here are complaining we are not looking at. Who on earth would want another Nzonzi anyway? 

Yeah Jack Straw was as good as useless in that respect.

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Say who?

Dack is happy here and playing his best football and enjoying playing for Mowbray. 

Sadly if a Premier League club came in with a bigger contract offer, his relationship with Mowbray would almost certainly be rendered meaningless in his desire to move on in his career and it would be difficult to keep him then. Hopefully that wont happen and I havent written off him being here next season by any stretch but lets be realistic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Reed out the squad and Assombolonga shoehorned in on the wing? No thanks!

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Sadly if a Premier League club came in with a bigger contract offer, his relationship with Mowbray would almost certainly be rendered meaningless in his desire to move on in his career and it would be difficult to keep him then. Hopefully that wont happen and I havent written off him being here next season by any stretch but lets be realistic.

It depends how this season goes. Obviously if we somehow manage to achieve the dream and go up, he won't leave and I think even if we go close, that will be enough to encourage him to stay here and have a right good go at promotion next season. Fulham held onto Cairney when everything pointed to him leaving, same with Grealish and Villa. 

Obviously we can't hold onto him indefinitely if we don't go up, but I think we could get one more season. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel