BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

Polio vaccine 1965. 

Some of our posters will have memories of the polio outbreak in Blackburn and how it affected the town and the team. I seem to remember the town was shut off to outsiders (or the advice was to stay away).My mum and Dad wouldn’t let me go to the rovers games at that point. 

I also remember that because of that outbreak, rovers didn’t start their season on time meaning they were rooted to the bottom of the table and never recovered. Relegated just 3 seasons after the great team of 63/64.

IMG_0208.jpeg

Edited by den
  • Like 4

On 18/09/2023 at 12:07, den said:

Polio vaccine 1965. 

Some of our posters will have memories of the polio outbreak in Blackburn and how it affected the town and the team. I seem to remember the town was shut off to outsiders (or the advice was to stay away).My mum and Dad wouldn’t let me go to the rovers games at that point. 

I also remember that because of that outbreak, rovers didn’t start their season on time meaning they were rooted to the bottom of the table and never recovered. Relegated just 3 seasons after the great team of 63/64.

IMG_0208.jpeg

Ronnie, Dougie, Fergie, Newton, Harrison, McEvoy, Byrom, George Jones, Joyce, Sharples.

• Like 2

On 12/09/2023 at 08:45, Tugayisgod said:

What a top guy. Like you say a hard read when you hear how his departure was handled so disgracefully. 

Yet his affection for the club and fans still shines through. What a side that was under Sparky as well. 

Thanks Ryan, Rovers legend 💙🤍

Although he never knew it, he actually got me some free drinks!

The close season after his departure, I was on holiday in New Zealand and visiting an old school pal of @bazza's and mine who, unfortunately, is of the Burnley persuasion.

Because it was in what passes for winter Down Under, I'd taken a couple of Rovers sweaters to wear and had gone on a coach tour of the South Island before visiting the old schoolmate and his Missus on the North Island.

One the hotels where our coach stopped for a night was a watering hole for quite a few of the local lads. One noticed the Arte et Labore badge on the sweater I was wearing and asked if I followed us. (You know what I mean!)

When I said I did, I was immediately asked about Nelsen and his departure. When I said how good he was, and how popular, I don't remember buying another drink that evening!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

Although he never knew it, he actually got me some free drinks!

The close season after his departure, I was on holiday in New Zealand and visiting an old school pal of @bazza's and mine who, unfortunately, is of the Burnley persuasion.

Because it was in what passes for winter Down Under, I'd taken a couple of Rovers sweaters to wear and had gone on a coach tour of the South Island before visiting the old schoolmate and his Missus on the North Island.

One the hotels where our coach stopped for a night was a watering hole for quite a few of the local lads. One noticed the Arte et Labore badge on the sweater I was wearing and asked if I followed us. (You know what I mean!)

When I said I did, I was immediately asked about Nelsen and his departure. When I said how good he was, and how popular, I don't remember buying another drink that evening!

I've met a number of people who went to school with him over the years.

28 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I've met a number of people who went to school with him over the years.

There used to be a guy who went in one of the pubs I frequented that was his absolute double. Same looks, same build. The first time I saw him I thought it really was Ryan. Eventually I went up to him and said “ You look just like”, before I could go any further he replied , “ Yeah I know, Ryan Nelsen, he’s a footballer I believe “.

Darwen End remained virtually unchanged until its demolition.

If you watch this video you can see the Stand that stood on the Nuttall st before the new one was built in 1907..

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-blackburn-v-1904-1904-online

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Darwen End remained virtually unchanged until its demolition.

If you watch this video you can see the Stand that stood on the Nuttall st before the new one was built in 1907..

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-blackburn-v-1904-1904-online

Reroofing repairs after a Burnley visit and the wall at pitch level, not much else.

Pity I can't watch the video as outside the UK. It says I can't watch via VPN either but I'll test that later.