BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ben White

For playing possession football risk is involved but do I want us to play Dyche type football here? No I dont. 

Id take an effective, organised Dyche style of grinding out 1-0 win over whatever way Mowbray is trying to play any day.

• Like 3

What were people expecting from Lambert other than what he delivered?

Nobody could seriously have expected promotion from the position we were in November, especially with a depleted squad that had just lost Gestede, King and Cairney and signed Delfouneso, Guthrie, Akpan and Koita. 

There was zero investment in summer 2015 and zero investment in January 2016.

I always remember that shortly after Lambert arrived here Jokanovic got the Fulham job. His record with a better squad there was no better than Lambert's that season. But he got to grips with it and the following year they reached the play offs.

Guardiola wouldn't have got us much better that season. It was all about doing enough to get safe and putting building blocks in place. 

I couldn't give a stuff about style of play. Intact the opposite. Give me a negative defensive minded manager and a pragmatist who prioritises organisation and fitness over a dreamer like Mowbray any day.

I saw evidence of a fitter and better organised side under Lambert with some game like the Middlesbrough home win sticking in memory as impressive.

The only difference was he had the clout on his CV to walk when mucked around by these delusional lunatic owners and had enough to land the Wolves job. It would have been the same with Warnock if they had appointed him under false pretences. whereas the rest of their appointments know they won't get better than here so put up with the rubbish.

Lambert has made poor choices in taking over sinking ships that he hasn't turned around in Stoke and Ipswich but that can change. Remember where Mowbray was with Coventry before getting the job here.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Also @chaddyrovers what would you do if you was manager? Would you prioritise getting that defence solid and keeping the ball out of the net, or would you only consider "ball playing defenders?"

Our central midfield partnership of Evans and Travis is a very effective one but its not the best in terms of keeping possession. They are decent on the ball but their strength lies in putting themselves about, pressing the opposition. With those 2 and then plenty of athleticism and youth in front, we should focus on pressing teams and getting in their faces far more often. That is what the game plan should be built around. Do we have the players to be totally dominating games? Not for me. Also, tactics like false 9's, wide strikers etc dont work but Mowbray chooses them. 

If we can get an Adarabioyo who can do both, excellent, but we need a left back, centre back and experienced goalkeeper who can help us get well down from the 60+ goals conceded, thats the priority. If we sign this Dickie that you mention, has he got the calibre to be able to single handily pass the ball out like Adarabioyo did, baring in mind that Lenihan is very limited on the ball himself? And one of our main midfielders in Johnson is abysmal at picking the ball up on the half turn.

Once we do that, if we can keep Dack and Armstrong and get them working together, then we might have half a chance.

I dont think these 2 are realistic necessarily, but I would love us to push the boat out for Van Der Hoorn or Ayala. Both would command high wages, but both are proven at this level, both are free agents and proper defenders and would make a very good partnership with Lenihan. But are they fancy enough for our manager and his delusions of grandeur?

I would bring a keeper( Dillon Philips), centre back(Matt Clarke on loan or Dickie), left back(Harry pickering) and centre midfielder(Josh Cullen). Yes I have named British based players cos I have very little knowledge of foriegn leagues/Europea Competitions as I dont watch them apart from a couple of la Liga games a week. Then we could keep the ball better, high press when needed but keep possession the ball more with would suit players like Rothwell, Holtby, Dack. Similar to Fulham or Brentford   

Yes Dickie is ball playing centre back. 

Bradley Johnson would be back up player. 4th or 5th. 

I have no idea how Mowbray will set us up formation wise for the coming season. Guess we see in pre season and early season games which We wont see live inside the stadiums. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I look at it like this - we were going down when he came in and we didn't go down. I think he sacrificed Rhodes on the understanding he'd get the money to spend on the rest of the team. When that didn't happen it was effectively game over for him and he bailed out. I can't blame him for that. Mowbray would have shrugged his shoulders and kept his bank manager happy. I remember at the time the two guys that came in with him, Irvine and Kelly ?, were both being touted for the managers job by people on here and yet we managed to bag both of them plus Lambert. They must have some responsibility for things not panning out yet nobody ever mentions them.

Im not sure about that. Bowyer was sacked with us 16th in the League. We finished 15th. You look at his jobs since too, awful recent record. All talk IMO.

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ben White

For playing possession football risk is involved but do I want us to play Dyche type football here? No I dont. 

What is with the looking down the nose towards Dyches style ?

Dyches football has been successful consistently over a few years, getting them into the top 10 again in the Premier League. Effective and not horrible to watch as people would have you believe. More goals last season than Sheffield United and the Brighton side you regularly laud under Graham Potter.

• Like 5

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Dyches football has been successful consistently over a few years, getting them into the top 10 again in the Premier League. Effective and not horrible to watch as people would have you believe. More goals last season than Sheffield United and the Brighton side you regularly laud under Graham Potter.

Very true. Surely all Rovers fans would take a Dyche style promotion over a Mowbray style 11th?

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would bring a keeper( Dillon Philips), centre back(Matt Clarke on loan or Dickie), left back(Harry pickering) and centre midfielder(Josh Cullen). Yes I have named British based players cos I have very little knowledge of foriegn leagues/Europea Competitions as I dont watch them apart from a couple of la Liga games a week. Then we could keep the ball better, high press when needed but keep possession the ball more with would suit players like Rothwell, Holtby, Dack. Similar to Fulham or Brentford   

I have no idea how Mowbray will set us up formation wise for the coming season. Guess we see in pre season and early season games which We wont see live inside the stadiums. 

Priority has to be to fix the defence properly. Would a 21 year old Crewe defender help that?

Continue to leak goals and it will at some point be the end for Mowbray and a lot of our players.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Yep, results first, but are Sean Dyches Burnley worse to watch than Mowbrays Rovers? Not convinced.

Well I certainly didn't enjoy watching a lot of what I saw last year, particularly since the re-start! 

It's hardly like we are playing this beautifully expansive style and just just missing out. We are in a bit of no mans land. I don't think we have the players to play the way Mowbray talks about us playing. I reckon we would be better playing a style closer to Burnley. Pressing hard and fast and hitting teams on the counter. Also focusing on getting good at set-pieces. 

I am not knocking his intentions, but you need to find the players to play that way. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

" I have no idea how Mowbray will set us up formation wise for the coming season ". Unfortunately I don't think Mowbray knows either.

• Like 2

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18645399.rovers-january-target-interesting-clubs-across-europe/

This article mentions that our January budget was only 1 million, even though the LT rarely (never?) put figures on our budget. I feel like every window since we came up, Mowbray has suggested there was money left over in the kitty but we just couldn't find players at what we wanted to pay.

No wonder with that kind of budget, but I feel a bit misled by those claims now. Sure, the 1 mill may have been money left over from the summer but the comments definitely made me think we were talking more than that. 1 million barely seems worth mentioning in this day and age.

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure about that. Bowyer was sacked with us 16th in the League. We finished 15th. You look at his jobs since too, awful recent record. All talk IMO.

What is with the looking down the nose towards Dyches style ?

Dyche is Big Sam without the Okocha's and Anelka's of the footballing world. 

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18645399.rovers-january-target-interesting-clubs-across-europe/

This article mentions that our January budget was only 1 million, even though the LT rarely (never?) put figures on our budget. I feel like every window since we came up, Mowbray has suggested there was money left over in the kitty but we just couldn't find players at what we wanted to pay.

No wonder with that kind of budget, but I feel a bit misled by those claims now. Sure, the 1 mill may have been money left over from the summer but the comments definitely made me think we were talking more than that. 1 million barely seems worth mentioning in this day and age.

That article is silly. Why did we have those 2 as our transfer targets if our budget was less than their clubs would accept?I'm confused

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

And it doesn't mean your way is right either. Different managers have different ways of playing. 

You can have defender who can defend and pass a ball also.

Well no Mowbray didn't dig himself into any hole with Adarabioyo as Mowbray stated the season beforehand he wanted to move this style of play.

I've named you 2 players who could fit that role and I am sure there is plenty more out there. 

To play the style Mowbray wants to play you need a centre back who is comfortable on the ball and a central midfielder who is very comfortable on the ball. We don't have either of those and to get them will cost good money and that is without even considering the fact we have to sign  2 keepers and a left back as well, as a minimum. Mowbray might want to play this fantasy football style of his but fantasy is all that it will ever be.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Surely we are best off having Armstrong and Dack together centrally. They should get more goals than anyone we could get externally at this time. Focus should be on a solid defence and the wide areas either side of those 2. Sadly wont be the case.

I just hope the nucleus of this squad doesn't break up before being utilsied properly. Those 2 centrally, perfect. Evans and Travis, perfect. You get a good keeper, a good centre half and 2 proper wingers. Play 4-4-2 even. Press hard and get the ball forward quickly. I really think that would work for us. Johnson, Downing, Brereton , Holtbyand Gallagher all fine as subs, good options. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That article is silly. Why did we have those 2 as our transfer targets if our budget was less than their clubs would accept?I'm confused

Hoping they were going to take a lot less because TM is still stuck in 00s values?

Overall the last two links I've posted are not making things look good from a budgetary standpoint.