BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Thats rubbish, sorry.  But let's agree to disagree.  

It's not rubbish. Clubs do almost all of their initial work on computers. Do you know how many opposition & recruitment analysts we have at Rovers?

13 minutes ago, JoeH said:

. Do you know how many recruitment analysts we have at Rovers?

😆 must be reet good them lads to come up with Ayala, Pears, Douglas, Brereton,  Gallagher, oh and Dolan wasn't an algorithm either.....I'll stick to watching with my experienced eye.  Personally I wouldn't have recommended we bought any of them.  But what do I know eh when we have the computer.....?

Edited by Sparks Rover

12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Thats rubbish, sorry.  But let's agree to disagree.  

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You shouldnt make key decisions including transfer recruitment solely on data though, and it doesnt prove anything on its own, it can be used in tandem with opinions but it wouldnt make one superior or indeed factual.

Time to move on fellas, you're stuck in the past. 

Low cost, high pressing: how Barnsley took the Championship by storm | Football | The Guardian

If we look at a player who is extremely talented, and his goals and assists are through the roof but he is not able to sustain an element of pressing and defending high up the field for 90 minutes, that is a red flag for us,” says Murphy. “There are lots of clubs that use data and have brought in analysts to push in this direction ... but at Barnsley it’s the principle, it’s the root of what we are doing. There are clubs that say, ‘We need to bring it in as an ingredient’ but here it is the bedrock. Like Brentford in a way and Red Bull on a global scale, data is the first thing that wipes out the noise for us.”

33 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It's not rubbish. Clubs do almost all of their initial work on computers. Do you know how many opposition & recruitment analysts we have at Rovers?

I’ve no idea how many opposition and recruitment analysts we have at Rovers......but , if they exist , ......and recent purchases/ loans and “ how to play the opposition” is down to them ....it’s God help us....the entire set up and management at Ewood stinks ...

I firmly believe in data....but...it’s how it’s used that is key....the context ...Tony’s idea of data analysis is possession, possession, possession....outcome?? What outcome ...

Edited by Dolly blue
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

😆 must be reet good them lads

To the best of my knowledge our opposition analysts work with Damien Johnson and are female.

Manager wants a certain type to fit into his system, scouts get the nod and go scouting. Scouts who know how the managers team plays.

Now it seems they look at a spread sheet, A runs more than B but B comes on strong late on.  C hasn't the stamina of either but his pass completion is better than both.

Ok we'll try for C first then !

Might explain a lot of signing that seem scattergun and the unbalanced teams. Put your faith in the stats then if it doesn't work it isn't your fault. No wonder games and teams are largely full of robots these days. Fitter athletes than in the past mostly, better basic skills mostly but flair and character ?   Its all but gone.

Don't get me wrong some of it is needed and is good but as with everything tech related, it takes over.

There'll be no need for managers soon it'll just be stat sheet v stat sheet teams faxed down from the stats dept.  Cut out the middlemen.

To add on to my proposal that we try and get goals out of Gallagher, there's a clinical striker who'd be great alongside him in Jordan Rhodes available on a free. Find a few crossing wingers and try and mould Gally into the aerial partner for JR. Could work as a great plan B or even a Plan A.

34 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I know it doesn't make fook all difference on a match day.

Is there a whole dept allocated to study Boro players ?  Amazing how their stats must be better than many others. What were Ayala's stats for the previous 12 months i wonder.

• Like 3

Using data? No problem. However, we do have a problem when the manager goes over the heads of the set up to bring in the likes of Ayala and Pears from Boro on lengthy deals.

One saving grace is this nepotism mat be the thing that actually sees him on his bike...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Time to move on fellas, you're stuck in the past. 

Low cost, high pressing: how Barnsley took the Championship by storm | Football | The Guardian

If we look at a player who is extremely talented, and his goals and assists are through the roof but he is not able to sustain an element of pressing and defending high up the field for 90 minutes, that is a red flag for us,” says Murphy. “There are lots of clubs that use data and have brought in analysts to push in this direction ... but at Barnsley it’s the principle, it’s the root of what we are doing. There are clubs that say, ‘We need to bring it in as an ingredient’ but here it is the bedrock. Like Brentford in a way and Red Bull on a global scale, data is the first thing that wipes out the noise for us.”

What a depressing quote. 

I wonder how many Frank Worthington’s would make it in today’s game - maverick footballers who excite and are the very reason you watch football. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Just looking at the midfielders who's contracts and loans are up is eye watering.

What's the betting this manager tries to keep Bennett, Evans and Downing then lets the rest go ?

I fear next season will be a real struggle or another mid table plod at best, unless there is some proper ambition or nous from somewhere.

If he does that we will get relegated. Three waste of wages right there. 

• Like 2

Just now, toogs said:

What a depressing quote. 

I wonder how many Frank Worthington’s would make it in today’s game - maverick footballers who excite and are the very reason you watch football. 

Completely agree on a personal level, but would Barnsley fans? 

I personally think it's even worse in the Prem - Players are Olympic athletes, technically superb, but dull as dishwater to watch. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Which algorithm told you that he would do a job?

He's got the best goals to shots ratio in the division, but I don't really need that personally because I've watched him play enough to know what systems suit him.

32 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

If he does that we will get relegated. Three waste of wages right there. 

With the amount of bods we might lose i'm almost certain he'll try and keeps his pals first and foremost.

At the end of the season we will be exactly where we were before the season started at centre-back--with only Lenihan a certain starter. After 5 frigging years!

However I'd prefer to play our young ones, ridiculous to be trusting the centre of our defence to teenagers from other clubs.

Mowbray was supposed to be building a side not continually applying sticky plaster. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JoeH said:

I feel like I’ve stated many uses but maybe they’ve been missed

Of course you shouldn’t. But it’s relevance is becoming increasingly pertinent within the wider football world. 

I think personally if one person says “this player is really poor with his passing” and then shows you that on average his pass success % data falls significantly below the leagues mean average for his position, then their opinion is definitely backed up by a little bit more evidence. Maybe not pure fact, but not far off given the mathematical proof that says the player is a poor passer by positional & league comparison.

It could I suppose if it was noticeably below average, but it could also mean for example that a a player is in a more advanced position and/or trying more high risk high reward passes, a few of which have led to goals. I bet Jason Lowe had a higher percentage pass rate than many, but he wasnt a good passer. Mathematical proof on its own, not quite so much.

And @Hoochie Bloochie Mama again I would suggest that as I mentioned, that makes sense in that the data may help narrow down their shortlist to players who can fit their style of play. So it is a time efficient way of narrowing down shortlists of targets. I dont think that data is useless, far from it. But I also think that much of it is unavoidably flawed, has to be taken with a pinch of salt and only as a tool rather than instead of watching players, and I think there has been a sudden surge of people not involved with football clubs using it as factual proof when in fact due to its flaws it is not objective in proving opinions.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I bet Jason Lowe had a higher percentage pass rate than many, but he wasnt a good passer. Mathematical proof on its own, not quite so much.

That’s why stats like Forward Passes P90, Forward Pass % Accuracy, Passes To Final 3rd p90, Passes To Final 3rd % Accuracy and Passes To Penalty Area P90 exist.