BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Silas said:

The early century England with Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney would probably have limped to a 0-0 draw after that 1st half.

Yes, the total physical domination from Phillips and Rice is not as talented as the 2006 vintage but it really squeezes a game.  Hungary didn't have anywhere to go.

Think we do need some passers in there though when we play teams like Spain or Brazil who will run rings around us.

Not really got anyone who can do that from the middle coming through.

The player from years past who this side really needs is not Lampard or Gerrard imo but Carrick or the Scholes of his latter career when he was playing deep.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes, the total physical domination from Phillips and Rice is not as talented as the 2006 vintage but it really squeezes a game.  Hungary didn't have anywhere to go.

Think we do need some passers in there though when we play teams like Spain or Brazil who will run rings around us.

Not really got anyone who can do that from the middle coming through.

The player from years past who this side really needs is not Lampard or Gerrard imo but Carrick or the Scholes of his latter career when he was playing deep.

Carrick was criminally underused.  The best deep lying playmaker we've had for years

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Gumbi said:

It said 'Love you forever Steffie Gregg'. She was a friend of his who died from Covid-19 complications earlier this week.

It doesn't matter what the message was. He knows full well that if he takes his shirt off after scoring a goal he will receive a yellow card. He has let his team mates down badly tonight. He deliberately went onto the pitch to get booked.

If he wants to give such a lovely heartfelt message he should do it on Twitter, Facebook or even You Tube.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not on tonight's performance, but we know they're a good side from the Euros.

We completely outclassed them in a way the Germans and the French couldn't.

Its a single game but bodes well for Englands continual improvement.

They did better in the Euros than expected, but were still poor.

The Germans and French did worse than us in the Euros.

The second half bodes well for England, The first half was poor 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Carrick was criminally underused.  The best deep lying playmaker we've had for years

Yes. I think having Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham all coming through at the same time totally screwed Carrick. Partly because he couldn't even get in the XI. But even if he did due to injury etc none of those other mids wanted to battle and tackle in midfield and give Carrick the ball. They all wanted to be bombing up field. Balance was all wrong.

One thing the current England team has got is balance. Players fit the roles they play and work very well together. Just need a bit of quality in the middle and genuine world cup contenders for me.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes. I think having Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham all coming through at the same time totally screwed Carrick. Partly because he couldn't even get in the XI. But even if he did due to injury etc none of those other mids wanted to battle and tackle in midfield and give Carrick the ball. They all wanted to be bombing up field. Balance was all wrong.

One thing the current England team has got is balance. Players fit the roles they play and work very well together. Just need a bit of quality in the middle and genuine world cup contenders for me.

Hopefully skipp or garner can come through 

15 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Racist chanting, throwing stuff at our players. No sign of all those on social media condemning our fans in euros for booing anthems.

UEFA really needs to get a grip of these European fans who time and time again racially abuse players.

Apparently UEFA banned Hungary from having home fans for 3 games for prior racist chanting. Last night's game was under the direction of FIFA hence the full house. Should the lower body's ruling not be followed by FIFA?

As to the game, Hungary weren't good. Certainly not the all action team that caused France fits but England were comfortable winners. Andorra next. 

England didn't look like a team who were bereft of confidence after a heartbreaking loss last time out. In 18 months time this team will be stronger. Foden, Rashford, and Greenwood, weren't in this squad. Only Henderson, Walker, and Tripper are 30 or over. 

• Like 3

I used to look at International breaks as a bind but now I’m warming to this team and the Manager. To say that they have such little time together, they are well drilled with a positive game plan and no big time Charlie’s, unlike the so-called golden generation.

Would even go as far as to say, that potentially,  the best England team since the 1970 World Cup side.

• Like 3

I think we are a playmaking midfielder away from being the perfect team.  Great depth at fullback.  Excellent defenders.  Incredible depth in wide areas.  World class forward in kane.  Greenwood could be something special.  Good goalkeeping options.  Rice and Phillips are both collectively and individually Excellent players. Rice has grown over the last year into a top class defensive midfielder.  When u consider we didn't play foden sancho rashford on this game then that tells u about the strength in depth we have 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, roverandout said:

I think we are a playmaking midfielder away from being the perfect team.  Great depth at fullback.  Excellent defenders.  Incredible depth in wide areas.  World class forward in kane.  Greenwood could be something special.  Good goalkeeping options.  Rice and Phillips are both collectively and individually Excellent players. Rice has grown over the last year into a top class defensive midfielder.  When u consider we didn't play foden sancho rashford on this game then that tells u about the strength in depth we have 

I think you’re right about the lack of a top class playmaker. If we had a Gazza or even a Scholes we would look a much better team. Playing Rice and Phillips in midfield will beat the likes of Hungary etc but they won’t beat the very best. Let’s hope one of our younger players develop into that role. Foden maybe ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Apparently UEFA banned Hungary from having home fans for 3 games for prior racist chanting. 

First of all, let me make it clear that racism in any form is abhorrent and should be called out and the culprits dealt with, without question.

Here comes the but.......

ITV on Wednesday night were a disgrace in my opinion, they couldn't wait to report on acts of racism, even cutting to Gabriel Clarks at one point on his mobile phone sat with the home fans to tell us again that the fans were being racist. We know Hungary has a history of racism, we know the national side has had problems with racism, we don't need ITV spending the entire 2nd half banging on about it whilst England answered in the right manner by stuffing them.

I hope they're sanctioned, again, and hit hard, but ITV you're a disgrace, I'll not be watching next time.

• Like 6

What I can't understand is why Sterling took off his shirt to display his message to fans that probably could not read English. Not being sympathetic to Hungary fans, but they may have thought it was an insult. Why not wait till the end of the game and get the message on camera.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think you’re right about the lack of a top class playmaker. If we had a Gazza or even a Scholes we would look a much better team. Playing Rice and Phillips in midfield will beat the likes of Hungary etc but they won’t beat the very best. Let’s hope one of our younger players develop into that role. Foden maybe ?

Yeah if no young players come through I would look at dropping Foden into midfield. Hes more of forward running link up player by nature though, not sure he would adapt that well to sitting deeper and dictating play.  But I can't see any other options really.

It will be a real challenge to find someone who can compete with Jorginho, Pogba, Pedri... But we need to do it.

• Like 1

Regarding the ITV coverage, some young upwardly mobile idiot has changed the format of the league tables. There was me staring at the extreme right hand column trying to figure out the points. I was looking at goals against.

I finally found the points column on the extreme left before the games played. Whoever had this idea needs sacking.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, bazza said:

Regarding the ITV coverage, some young upwardly mobile idiot has changed the format of the league tables. There was me staring at the extreme right hand column trying to figure out the points. I was looking at goals against.

I finally found the points column on the extreme left before the games played. Whoever had this idea needs sacking.

Ridiculous they do that. Overcomplicates things

• Like 1

Seeing Rovers at Wembley was a pipe dream many moons ago that ambition was ticked off my list with FM cup final , play off final, the football Tournament we went to and and lastly the charity shield game. Have always wished that I might get to see my beloved Rovers play at the new Wembley however it won’t ever happen now sadly! So my Rovers shirt is accompanying me to Wembley tomorrow v Andorra.  6-0 England

Edited by 1864roverite
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Seeing Rovers at Wembley was a pipe dream many moons ago that ambition was ticked off my list with FM cup final , play off final, the football Tournament we went to and and lastly the charity shield game. Have always wished that I might get to see my beloved Rovers play at the new Wembley however it won’t ever happen now sadly! So my Rovers shirt is accompanying me to Wembley tomorrow v Andorra.  6-0 England

You keep the faith my friend, these bastards in Pune won't be around forever.

Who would have thought in the dark days of 70's and 80's we'd be talking about playing in Europe regularly or winning the league title?

Our time will come again, I just hope I'm around to see it.

Enjoy your day.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rigger said:

What I can't understand is why Sterling took off his shirt to display his message to fans that probably could not read English. Not being sympathetic to Hungary fans, but they may have thought it was an insult. Why not wait till the end of the game and get the message on camera.

I don't think he gives a shit what the Hungarian fans think about it,he'd just scored a goal so knew all the cameras would on him so it was the right time to do it to get the message he wanted when the most people would be watching,whats the point waiting until the end of the game for the interviews when most people have switched off to do other things.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I don't think he gives a shit what the Hungarian fans think about it,he'd just scored a goal so knew all the cameras would on him so it was the right time to do it to get the message he wanted when the most people would be watching,whats the point waiting until the end of the game for the interviews when most people have switched off to do other things.

But why show it to the Hungarian fans. If he had stood with his back to the fans, the cameras would have focused in on the message. The point of waiting till the end of the game is two-fold. One, you don't get booked. Two, it doesn't antagonise a known hostile crowd.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rigger said:

But why show it to the Hungarian fans. If he had stood with his back to the fans, the cameras would have focused in on the message. The point of waiting till the end of the game is two-fold. One, you don't get booked. Two, it doesn't antagonise a known hostile crowd.

I don't really see why anyone should modify their behaviour to appease racists.

Players take their shirt off all the time, get booked, move on.

Stirling should get fined and censured for it, but same as taking his shirt off at any game.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1