BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s glass half full vs glass half empty. No one can win this argument because they are character types. Some people re-Frame everything in their life to find the positive, others do the same to find the negative. The actual facts remain the same. 

What is true though are two things. You have a choice on how you perceive what has happened AND you have a choice on what you do about it….and as a Blackburn Rovers supporter. A lover of the club I don’t think we’ve EVER had a better chance to go up than this season, since we were relegated. This young team have got ‘something’ about them and they need our backing to get to a collective goal…the premier league!

So if fans can find it in their hear to get back to the stadium and support this group then I’m sure it will only serve to improve those chances of promotion further. It doesn’t signify that we support Venkys are that all is forgiven. But it does tell a young footballer that we care and appreciate them….then who knows what we could achieve!

It's absolutely nothing to do with being "positive" or "negative" and it's a bit naughty to paint it that way.

It's fans understandably voting with their feet after eleven generally dire seasons under the current ownership, some shocking pricing policy by Waggott over the last couple of years and (prior to this season) a pretty dire level of performance under Mowbray since returning to the Championship.

That said, I agree with you that these young players deserve our support. It HAS to be a two way street though and before the missing fans flock back in massive numbers there will have to be a radical overhaul of pricing policy - I am very hopeful this will happen in the New Year.

It will also require us to hold firm and the owners to say that none of our key players are leaving in January and actually add a couple of net bodies to give one or two extra options and cover in event of injuries.

I have no idea at this stage if that will happen in January. However for me personally it's the litmus test of whether the owner's commitment to improvement moving forward is as strong as certain parties have been led to believe behind the scenes.

Mowbray's defeatist comments the other day were far from encouraging in that respect. One can only hope he is somewhat out of the loop and completely wide of the mark.

• Like 5

Getting players like some of the ones who some fans are happy to let go and replacing them for next to nothing really isn't the cake walk it's being portrayed as. Especially seeing as we are likely to be offering low wages and what kind of message does it send potential signings when it looks like we'll just let them go in a few years instead of rewarding their progress ?

It's a poor situation to be in and whilst some players and their agents might not be being realistic to have so many contracts running out at once is a clusterfluck by the club. Doesn't matter how it's dressed up it is and it would be looked at the same whoever was owning and running the show.

Look how long it has taken these lads to develop ?  Just when they and the team might be about to peak everybody just starts looking at £ signs !

Having to replace 4 key members of the squad at once without much money or wages will set this team back 2 years again. 

Edited by tomphil

9 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

We lost 12 players and signed 6 and our squad looks far better and fresher. 

We have several players out of contract soon and we are negotiating new deals. If they go, then so be it. That's the player's choice. We'll bring in some replacements. 

Difference is last summer we lost players that should have gone years ago, Evans and Bennett etc.....I always said we'd never do anything in this league while we still had those kind of players, i.e. 30+ and happy to play out the remaining years of their career in mid-table of the Championship. Younger, hungrier players is the way to go.

This time we'd be losing key first-team players who've shown they're capable of getting us in a play-off position at least and hopefully cementing us there.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

I would try to get Hannibal on loan from Utd, he isn't getting a game, and Utd won't be gambling with him any time soon. Can be this year's Elliott, a stud. 

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Edited by Devon Rover
Unhappy GIF!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bohinen1983 said:

If I was Tony Mowbray I'd be giving Joe Rothwell whatever he's asking for. The man is an angel. He glides around a football pitch majestically and blends that with an element of comabtiveness- an absolute joy to watch.  He could easily play Premierleague football.  We've been fortunate enough to witness some top-top talent at Rovers over the years and there's little doubt in my mind Rothwell is in that category.

You simply cannot let this kind of asset leave for nothing- name a like-for-like replacement?! You can't, you simply can't!

I agree he does - but perhaps still in flashes, rather than as consistently as you look for in a premier league player in his position? Without knowing what he (his agent) is demanding, wage-wise, I can't be sure we should be just agreeing to it. But he would definitely be a huge loss because he is a special kind of player.

2 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

If I was Tony Mowbray I'd be giving Joe Rothwell whatever he's asking for. The man is an angel. He glides around a football pitch majestically and blends that with an element of comabtiveness- an absolute joy to watch.  He could easily play Premierleague football.  We've been fortunate enough to witness some top-top talent at Rovers over the years and there's little doubt in my mind Rothwell is in that category.

You simply cannot let this kind of asset leave for nothing- name a like-for-like replacement?! You can't, you simply can't!

If we break the wage structure for one we’d have to break it for all. That is the problem. Brereton, Nyambe and Lenihan would all demand the same. 

That's not strictly true is it otherwise they wouldn't be extending Gallaghers contract and everyone would be asking for that.

Just another set of excuses to make, are we really assuming that someone on 4 or 5k pwk is now asking for 15/20k and they'll all demand the same ?

I very much doubt it works like that at all.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s glass half full vs glass half empty. No one can win this argument because they are character types. Some people re-Frame everything in their life to find the positive, others do the same to find the negative. The actual facts remain the same. 

What is true though are two things. You have a choice on how you perceive what has happened AND you have a choice on what you do about it….and as a Blackburn Rovers supporter. A lover of the club I don’t think we’ve EVER had a better chance to go up than this season, since we were relegated. This young team have got ‘something’ about them and they need our backing to get to a collective goal…the premier league!

So if fans can find it in their hear to get back to the stadium and support this group then I’m sure it will only serve to improve those chances of promotion further. It doesn’t signify that we support Venkys are that all is forgiven. But it does tell a young footballer that we care and appreciate them….then who knows what we could achieve!

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Yes, help from the club would be good. But as I said before, we decide how we perceive what’s happening externally to us and we decide what action to take…..so once we make that decision it doesn’t matter whether the club lay of £10 tickets, 5 game bundles or a tray of free sandwiches,. We’re going! 

It isn't anything to do with glass half full v glass half. You clearly based on your second quoted statement (and coupled with recent boasts about your own business) are financially in a good place, have some empathy for those who can't (or indeed won't because they can't or won't justify a lack of value compared to other priorities) justify the cost or for those to whom cost IS sensitive.

You and the many others regularly pleading with people to come to Ewood, not taking into account the various factors are also wasting your time. The people you are targeting whilst sat on your ivory tower will in the main not be reading as floating fans who don't have the same level of interest, not all fans have the same sense of duty yet some cannot see that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Devon Rover said:

I agree he does - but perhaps still in flashes, rather than as consistently as you look for in a premier league player in his position? Without knowing what he (his agent) is demanding, wage-wise, I can't be sure we should be just agreeing to it. But he would definitely be a huge loss because he is a special kind of player.

I think the inconsistency people often cite can now be put to bed. I'd attribute any inconsistency in the past to the sporadic nature of his appearances, being played out of position or playing in a dysfunctional side. Put Rothwell with better players and he'll look even better- in my opinion, which obviously you're welcome to disagree with.

• Like 3

Rothwell can, I think, do even more. I recall a match (but not which one) in which he assisted at least one goal with Gerrard-esque direct passes into the box. I don't think we've seen much of that side of his game - possibly, due to the style of our play and perhaps, some self-belief issues on the pitch. 

Scanning the Aberdeen fans forum online, it seems 26 year old Ryan Hedges' career might have some parallels with Rothwell, though, he plays in a more forward role mostly. The fans suggest that he has a lot of pace and flair but that, overall, during his time there, he has been inconsistent, though still a key man for them. He's also filled a few positions aside from his normal attacking role, apparently, including full back/wing back.

He missed a chunk of last season due to a torn pectoral and then, early this season, he missed several games with a hamstring injury.

Edit: On a different note, I wonder if Rovers could use their publicity in Chile, or, perhaps, within South America, to recruit players. It might be worth considering for the club, especially for a promotion push - subject to the usuals of economics and immigration clearance.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

It isn't anything to do with glass half full v glass half. You clearly based on your second quoted statement (and coupled with recent boasts about your own business) are financially in a good place, have some empathy for those who can't (or indeed won't because they can't or won't justify a lack of value compared to other priorities) justify the cost or for those to whom cost IS sensitive.

You and the many others regularly pleading with people to come to Ewood, not taking into account the various factors are also wasting your time. The people you are targeting whilst sat on your ivory tower will in the main not be reading as floating fans who don't have the same level of interest, not all fans have the same sense of duty yet some cannot see that.

Fine. But for the record, I’ve been lower than most in terms of economic status over the years. There’s no ivory tower in my mind…..what I have learnt however is that framing my life from a can’t do perspective would never have served me well. I know that I have felt every emotion that you have felt around Rovers and still managed to find a positive and a reason to enjoy supporting my team. It’s possible and it would help the lads….

Completely understand that many don’t feel the same, it wouldn’t do for us all to be the same though 😊

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Fine. But for the record, I’ve been lower than most in terms of economic status over the years. There’s no ivory tower in my mind…..what I have learnt however is that framing my life from a can’t do perspective would never have served me well. I know that I have felt every emotion that you have felt around Rovers and still managed to find a positive and a reason to enjoy supporting my team. It’s possible and it would help the lads….

Completely understand that many don’t feel the same, it wouldn’t do for us all to be the same though 😊

You are so transfixed in your idea of being a positive person that you have not addressed my points. Having been so low in terms of economic status, I am guessing that you have the empathy more than most to appreciate and indeed am guessing you are frustrated by the pricing strategies and the lack of proactivity in getting attendances up from Waggott and co to control one of if not the primary sensitivity, cost?

Also, what you said isn't true, you couldn't find enough of a positive to enjoy supporting your team when Coyle was manager. I carried on attending during that period and I suspect that I am very much someone who doesn't fall into your positive category, maybe I'm wrong, and I certainly wouldn't look down upon anyone who chooses not to attend at any point for whatever reason, attending football matches regularly is a costly and time sapping hobby therefore it cannot be seen as a mere duty, but it then makes your point somewhat hypocritical.

It isn't about positive or negative mindsets, and internally there should be the question as to how to attract as many of the floating, perhaps less well off, perhaps busier in the rest of their lives, perhaps less interested/passionate, perhaps even protesting supporters back. Yet this culture of assuming all those who consider themselves to be Rovers fans to be exactly the same and merely to pass the buck to them expecting them to just flock back out of duty, a totally unconstructive mindset seems to reign supreme.

5 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

I haven't heard anything about this lad, other than 'out of contract in the summer' that helps me understand why we are so keen tbh.

Additionally, I can't recall a time we ever signed someone on a pre-contract in Jan, and we are doing it the one time we have a shot at promotion? Very odd. I can only imagine it would be a useless signing for the Prem. And he doesn't play in the same position of any of our out of contract lads.

Granted, it may just be speculation anyway, but it's been reported enough, including with confidence by the LT, to feel fairly sure we are interested at least.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

You are so transfixed in your idea of being a positive person that you have not addressed my points. Having been so low in terms of economic status, I am guessing that you have the empathy more than most to appreciate and indeed am guessing you are frustrated by the pricing strategies and the lack of proactivity in getting attendances up from Waggott and co to control one of if not the primary sensitivity, cost?

Also, what you said isn't true, you couldn't find enough of a positive to enjoy supporting your team when Coyle was manager. I carried on attending during that period and I suspect that I am very much someone who doesn't fall into your positive category, maybe I'm wrong, and I certainly wouldn't look down upon anyone who chooses not to attend at any point for whatever reason, attending football matches regularly is a costly and time sapping hobby therefore it cannot be seen as a mere duty, but it then makes your point somewhat hypocritical.

It isn't about positive or negative mindsets, and internally there should be the question as to how to attract as many of the floating, perhaps less well off, perhaps busier in the rest of their lives, perhaps less interested/passionate, perhaps even protesting supporters back. Yet this culture of assuming all those who consider themselves to be Rovers fans to be exactly the same and merely to pass the buck to them expecting them to just flock back out of duty, a totally unconstructive mindset seems to reign supreme.

People who disappear down the rabbit hole of every situation is positive if you choose to look at it positively are dangerous in football.

They also tend to be called Owne Coyle.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We will struggle to adequately replace our best players on a pittance. It seems that none are close to new deals with the owners unwilling to get close to their demands. So be it is a flippant take on it.

That's where good scouting and recruitment come into place and making sure we find the right players and at good reasonable prices. Just look at Pickering signing who you were doubting when he was on loan at Crewe after he signed for us, 

7 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Look like Mowbray and Rovers really want him at the club

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

I haven't heard anything about this lad, other than 'out of contract in the summer' that helps me understand why we are so keen tbh.

Additionally, I can't recall a time we ever signed someone on a pre-contract in Jan, and we are doing it the one time we have a shot at promotion? Very odd. I can only imagine it would be a useless signing for the Prem. And he doesn't play in the same position of any of our out of contract lads.

Granted, it may just be speculation anyway, but it's been reported enough, including with confidence by the LT, to feel fairly sure we are interested at least.

Waggott said when we spoke that the club had deals for Scottish players on pre-contracts set up. The John Parks effect I guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

So we're screwed, great 😉

why?

24 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Waggott said when we spoke that the club had deals for Scottish players on pre-contracts set up. The John Parks effect I guess.

makes me wonder why we didn't look at players in the last 12 months of their contract and look at signing them on pre contract terms in past seasons

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I didn't realise he had signed for us. Oh wait a minute he hasn't.

• Like 2