BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The 15th place was down to a multitude of reasons, a few factors that have changed this season seen below:

- Misguided desire to play possession football that didn't suit us. 

- 2 horrendous left backs v one very reliable one this season and a decent back up.

- Ayala being fit much more often. Wharton back, Van Hecke added.

- Brereton being much more clinical, complex in itself. May well thrive as main man, but also increased confidence from Chile exploits, also much more clinical, last season his goal conversion was poorer than all other attackers.

- Khadra a shrewd signing. Dolan much improved, Buckley improved.

- Travis fit and sharp. Rothwell re-modelled next to him.

- Numerous sub par players let go.

- Schedule (so far) less congested.

If we had Armstrong now we would be even better. He would also suit playing on the counter rather than the possession football.

Armstrong's a great player but not really sure he fits the way we play atm. He'd have to be much more aggressive pressing the ball, and be more interested in linking up with other players 

I think Armstrong shone in an otherwise bang average squad. This squad, although mostly the same group are far better round this season. I think not relying so heavily on him has helped others progress. I can't say we would be better off without him, although he was a bit of a luxury.

I'm of the opinion that only a poor manager has to set up a team that benefits just one player. 

You could say our team isn't as good as last season but we're all playing as a cohesive unit, we now have the wingers actually working back whereas last season Armstrong did little to no defensive work which destroyed us, but must have been the tactics for the team.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I'm of the opinion that only a poor manager has to set up a team that benefits just one player. 

You could say our team isn't as good as last season but we're all playing as a cohesive unit, we now have the wingers actually working back whereas last season Armstrong did little to no defensive work which destroyed us, but must have been the tactics for the team.

Is the team not as good as last season? Massive upgrade at left back/left wing back based on signings. Better quality at centre back due to one loanee and mainly availability of Ayala and Wharton. Better quality in midfield with Travis back fully fit, Rothwell used differently and Buckley really establishing himself. Also much less reliance on the depth of the squad compared to an unprecedented fixture schedule off the back of a 3 week pre season due to Covid last year.

I wouldn't really say that the team was set up to benefit Armstrong, possession based football doesn't suit an explosive, pacy player. Nor was he disproportionately lazy to the point that it "destroyed us." He was the main man but we are equally reliant on one forwards goals this season, just a different player.

Mowbray got his tactics all wrong last season, but takes pragmatism, intelligence and ultimately proves a lack of stubbornness to bin his "principles" to great success this year, so loads of praise deserved.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The 15th place was down to a multitude of reasons, a few factors that have changed this season seen below:

- Misguided desire to play possession football that didn't suit us. 

- 2 horrendous left backs v one very reliable one this season and a decent back up.

- Ayala being fit much more often. Wharton back, Van Hecke added.

- Brereton being much more clinical, complex in itself. May well thrive as main man, but also increased confidence from Chile exploits, also much more clinical, last season his goal conversion was poorer than all other attackers.

- Khadra a shrewd signing. Dolan much improved, Buckley improved.

- Travis fit and sharp. Rothwell re-modelled next to him.

- Numerous sub par players let go.

- Schedule (so far) less congested.

If we had Armstrong now we would be even better. He would also suit playing on the counter rather than the possession football.

- i disagree

These are player he bought remember - yes all managers live and die by their signings but its clear that previously the team was built around Dack to secure a boastable profits and when he got injured, suddenly AA was firing them in. 

The positive thing right now, is that i truley dont think he is doing the same with BB. He has let the team come together and BB has been the most beneficial. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Nope

your wrong

armstrongs fault

Is this a swipe at me Greg? 

A applaud AA for what he did here and his move. But he did little before us and is doing little after. He is not the main man anymore. So many shots, so many misses but scored a ton of goals - great. BB has more than him at this point of the season but he isn't taking pot shots from everywhere. It's a more team coherency. 

• Like 1

It’s a very difficult arguement to have whether we would or would not be better with AA in the team now. 
I thought last season was mainly defined by our constant defensive injuries. We couldn’t keep any of them fit enough n we leaked goals galore. However, AA was rather selfish n at times if he was more of a team player he could have created more for others but you can’t deny his contribution last season

this season has been completely different we have had consistency n BBD has replaced AA with the goals whilst kadra n Dolan when supporting work their socks off which AA didn’t do so it’s hard to know would we be as good with him I’m going to say not.

I don’t think the others would put the same effort in if the were watching AA saunter about. To be fair to BBD he puts a good shift in defensively n it feeds in with the rest of the team.

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Is this a swipe at me Greg? 

A applaud AA for what he did here and his move. But he did little before us and is doing little after. He is not the main man anymore. So many shots, so many misses but scored a ton of goals - great. BB has more than him at this point of the season but he isn't taking pot shots from everywhere. It's a more team coherency. 

Put arma in this system and I don’t think the outcome of this season would be affected . Glad breo has stepped up in his abscence but it was the system and lack of quality in other areas holding this team back. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Not quite sure thats quite right. A good manager plays to the strengths of the squad. If that squad has a natural focal point then you build the squad to maximise the focal point. Was Dalglish a poor manager building his team to maximise Shearer or Dean Smith with Grealish?

Ideally you have a squad with several such players but thats not always the case.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rigger said:

So you have to wonder : Why did Mowbray not do it ?

Did we have the back 3 to play 3 at the back last season? or the left wing back spot?

6 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Would love to get Marcus Harness to replace Gallagher on the right side winger/striker role and then maybe see what the situation with Scott Twine  is as well. 

can I please why you are fan of Harness and Twine and what are his strengths and weaknesses as I have seen very little of them live? Also I can please ask have you seen much of Scully at Lincoln?

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did we have the back 3 to play 3 at the back last season? or the left wing back spot?

can I please why you are fan of Harness and Twine and what are his strengths and weaknesses as I have seen very little of them live? Also I can please ask have you seen much of Scully at Lincoln?

Yeah, we never had three fit Centre halfs, and Douglas/Bell was a nightmare 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lenihan, Wharton, Carter, Ayala. The difference was how the back three are asked to play. Last season when it was played, the defenders were asked to keep possession, by passing across the defence. This season it seems that the defenders are asked just to defend, and to get the ball to our more skillful players quickly.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

700,000 quid for the likes of Rothwell, Lenihan and Naymbe if they are not sold in January and help secure promotion!  Seems like a good motivation to sign a new contract, even if it's only for 12 months.  

Blackburn owners Venky’s offering stars £10MILLION Prem promotion bonus – with some players to scoop £700k if they go up (thesun.co.uk)

Edited by yankfan
added link
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, yankfan said:

700,000 quid for the likes of Rothwell, Lenihan and Naymbe if they are not sold in January and help secure promotion!  Seems like a good motivation to sign a new contract, even if it's only for 12 months.  

Blackburn owners Venky’s offering stars £10MILLION Prem promotion bonus – with some players to scoop £700k if they go up (thesun.co.uk)

Except I should think they will be eligible for it even if they walk for nothing in the summer.

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Except I should think they will be eligible for it even if they walk for nothing in the summer.

We would be back in the premier league though..i read the article as it suggesting the bonus could prevent the out of contract players from pushing to leave in January.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If they qualify for the bonus, then they've done their job. I still can't see anybody else higher up the league signing them so any move would be downwards and their move would be mercenary ie more money. It could be their one chance of premiership glory and they would walk for money alone.

If thats the case they can do one.

• Like 1