BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

LOL, I can see the parallels 😂. We need better back up in our midfield 2 for sure. I'd prefer that over an attacker given dack will be back soon and with SG also here. Dack scores, SG can too when played in his normal role. I would also want a CB as suspensions and injuries may come and better than Carter is needed for top 2 at the end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

LOL, I can see the parallels 😂. We need better back up in our midfield 2 for sure. I'd prefer that over an attacker given dack will be back soon and with SG also here. Dack scores, SG can too when played in his normal role. I would also want a CB as suspensions and injuries may come and better than Carter is needed for top 2 at the end.

I would rather a a rb/right wing back.It will be hard to attract a decent centre half as they will be potentially 5th choice behind Wharton,Lenihen,Van Hecke and Ayala.

If we sign a decent rb/rwb then if need be we can put Nyambe in as the right sided centre back in the 3.

We have loads of players capable of playing at centre half but in the right wing back role currently we only have Nyambe who is out of contract in 6 months and JRC who cant keep fit.

With Nyambe out of contract in 6 month surely the club have been scouting players for that position this past year

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FGS5635 said:

After years of saying nothing, this window might give us something of an idea of what Venkys are thinking. If they have any kind of exit strategy or desire to get to the premier league and recoup their debts, then the time to strike is now. The stars seem to be alligning and who knows when we will be in this position again going into January.

This is the key factor for me. This opportunity has fallen into Venky's laps and it has given them the chance to show some ambition and prove that they have the club's bets interests at heart. It's not only a footballing opportunity but a financial one for them. It's a 'free hit' for them to try and regain some respect.

I hope they realise how exciting this is for the fans, start taking a real interest and make the right decisions over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

Butterworth definitely needs a loan spell,so much of his young career has been wasted due to injury. Carter is 5th centre back so only a couple of injuries away from playing but could also probably do with a loan spell.

That being said, the club comes first and we may have a decision as to whether we keep them purely to ensure we arent left short with Covid and also being where we are in the table.

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I would rather a a rb/right wing back.It will be hard to attract a decent centre half as they will be potentially 5th choice behind Wharton,Lenihen,Van Hecke and Ayala.

If we sign a decent rb/rwb then if need be we can put Nyambe in as the right sided centre back in the 3.

We have loads of players capable of playing at centre half but in the right wing back role currently we only have Nyambe who is out of contract in 6 months and JRC who cant keep fit.

With Nyambe out of contract in 6 month surely the club have been scouting players for that position this past year

Apologies, my comments assume we have signed brown. Nyambe defo needs back up, presently I guess he would play Buckley there instead and I don't want to see that if being honest.  I hadn't even considered JRC as I'm assuming he retired given his absence.

A right back is needed, I hope this brownie lad turns out to be OK, if we have signed him.

5 hours ago, Ulrich said:

We need defensive support, another RB and perhaps a more mobile fitter ball winner for Travis. Johnson does not have his legs anymore and Travis gets about the pitch, we miss that with Johnson and I think we could do with someone he could allow us to rest him when we can. Have we actually signed this Irish lad? Is he good enough?

I’ve never seen him play but I know that the Irish league is of a low standard. I’d suggest that if you’re still in the Irish league at the age of 23 then it’s too late for you to improve enough to play at the level we hope to operate at. 

2 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

I’ve never seen him play but I know that the Irish league is of a low standard. I’d suggest that if you’re still in the Irish league at the age of 23 then it’s too late for you to improve enough to play at the level we hope to operate at. 

You can suggest that, but it doesn't make it true.

8 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

I read up a little on him last night and he was being described as a late developer who has come on an awful lot the past 18 months.Its only a twitter rumour at the minute anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

I would say Phillips is already, as good, if not better than Carter. This is only my opinion, but an incident that effects my opinion happened a couple of matches ago ,for the U23s. The ball came down from a high clearance, Phillips run in as if to knock the ball back where it had come from. What he actually did was lay of a cushioned ball to another of his own team. This may seem a simple act, but to me it showed composure. That is a very important ability to have.

Edited by rigger

51 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I read up a little on him last night and he was being described as a late developer who has come on an awful lot the past 18 months.Its only a twitter rumour at the minute anyway

Hopefully so. I know that Brad Lyons was a top player in the NI league and he hasn’t made any impact at the professional levels. Admittedly the Irish league is nominally professional so a slightly higher standard. I suppose Jamie Vardy is a good example of a late developer that made the grade. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

Hopefully so. I know that Brad Lyons was a top player in the NI league and he hasn’t made any impact at the professional levels. Admittedly the Irish league is nominally professional so a slightly higher standard. I suppose Jamie Vardy is a good example of a late developer that made the grade. 

If this guy does sign it will be a small fee,probably in the £100k mark he might like Lyons be bought to play in the 23s to begin with.

Hopefully we will still be looking for another who can play that position and compete with Nyambe as an injury to him now and it probably puts Buckley in that position as no other alternative with Costello out

• Like 1

I reckon i'd keep Butterworth around for this season he's looked handy at times.  Clarkson should go back i don't want to see him start being shoehorned into the side again.

Not writing him off but think we could use his loan spot a bit better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

Wheres this Gilmour idea come from? He's been Norwich's best player this season. Are people just going off him getting a bit of stick against Palace and dreaming up a loan move?

To tell you my thoughts, I would stick with the players we have got. Let's make the Rovers such an attractive proposition for the players, that they want to sign.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ulrich said:

I can see the appeal of Buttersworth (hehehe) gets 10-15 starts in say league one. He looks dangerous at times and a good run, with success would benefit him.

According to LT, Butterworth's contract expires next year (2022). Even if the unilateral 1 year extension is available, it looks very poor from the management to be allowing a promising player's value devalue and for him to edge closer to the door when there's still hope he could contribute.

I'm not sure whether Butterworth will make it as a first team regular but I think he can contribute and should be on the bench. He had all the attributes but injury held him back (perhaps, ill-discipline, occasionly too in the U23s, if I remember rightly) however, he's shown glimpses of promise and, admittedly, other times been not so good. If he's not playing, how is the club meant to know whether he should be offered the, perhaps, 2 year deal that he'll likely expect as a minimum?

The bedrock of the current side is the academy graduates of Buckley, Lenihan, Wharton, Nyambe and Travis. The management need to try and keep that flow going, even if not every generation matches previous heights. Giving a player like Butterworth minutes and making a decision on Clarkson (who I feel might well be useful if given a chance) is part of that forward planning.

Edited by riverholmes