BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

A really baffling extension, one of the top earners before the contract extension, yet we can't afford to extend Rothwell Lenihan or Nyambe?

They can be afforded the players have so far declined to sign the deals on offer !

Gallagher contract extension is easier to take when the teams doing well. Would it be so popular if we were struggling near the bottom and we were desperate for fire power?

Edited by den
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Yeah but probably cos there peanuts compared to SG contract, who is nowhere near as good as the 3 players that will be leaving on a free.

If they are here in the summer then yes they’ll go for free, but I think some will be gone in January if they don’t sign new contracts. They maybe looking at the current table and having second thoughts about not signing.

48 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

They can be afforded the players have so far declined to sign the deals on offer !

Which means it is very likely not a good enough offer to convince them and will need to be upped. Which means they CANNOT be afforded.

If we offered Messi 20k a week, he would reject it. Because we can't afford him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I accuse them of failing to secure BBD, JR, RN, DL.

Bollocks to SG, I'd have sold him anyway.  Its like they've all gone..."oh shit, we forgot about those guys....let's not fuck up again with the 5m asset"

Joke

4 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

As Ive said several times this season, when SG has played down the middle he has scored goals. At the moment though Diaz has the shirt. Other players signing I would have thought would have been a priority.

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I accuse them of failing to secure BBD, JR, RN, DL.

Bollocks to SG, I'd have sold him anyway.  Its like they've all gone..."oh shit, we forgot about those guys....let's not fuck up again with the 5m asset"

Joke

“Bollocks to SG” That’s the spirit. Happy New Year 

Results in January could be key to contracts . We have Huddersfield (H), Cardiff (A) ,Middlesbrough (H) and Luton (A).

Which on present form look winnable games.

If we are still flying end of January,  they would be taking a big gamble signing for a team below us or bottom of Premier .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

A really baffling extension, one of the top earners before the contract extension, yet we can't afford to extend Rothwell Lenihan or Nyambe?

I don't get why people don't grasp that the situations are not comparable.

Rich Sharpe mentioned recently that Gallagher's new deal will have little if any pay rise, and it makes sense, his negotiating position has not strengthened since he signed his last deal when he joined. No doubt contracts are somewhat circumstantial, he came from the Premier League and it was widely reported that he actually took a wage cut to come here, ultimately your previous club/contract plays as big a part as anything as to what you can demand in your next one.

Lenihan signed his last deal prior to becoming captain, Nyambe as he was establishing himself and Rothwell when he joined from Oxford, all 3 are in much stronger positions to negotiate, coupled with the fact that they have 6 months left, they hold all the aces. They can justifiably demand significant pay rises as key players here, so all 3 would cause the wage bill to jump up a fair bit.

For what its worth, I wouldn't have given Gallagher a new deal, but it has nothing to do with the other 3. Our current wage bill will have barely if at all increased, and it would have been much easier to agree. It's not as if the Gallagher contract money could have just been chucked at the other 3, as even without a new deal, Gallagher would still be on a significant (for us) contract for the next 18 months, all that has happened is that we have tied him down for the 2023/24 season too.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Imagine something in Gallagher clicks and he bangs in 20 goals only for him to leave on a free the next summer. Fans would be in uproar.

I think the idea of congratulating the club on protecting its asset is laughable considering the better players we have let run their deals down.....that's what the poster was doing

• Like 1

Just have to hope that Mowbray gets chance to fly to India at some point between now and May. If he does and he can meet with Mr and Mrs Desai I'd be confident of him coming back with the resources to secure these contract extensions.

If he doesn't then he won't get his meeting with them and I doubt will get the funds required. 

No issue with them retaining Gally longer term the world of football is crazy especially in the Championship.  One good season and some would come sniffing but it would look a damn sight better if they got one or two of the others tied down pronto as well.

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

It’s all go in the Champ. WBA get their striker. 

Daryl Dike? 

Plenty of potential but no game changer and something makes me wonder if just he rode that wave of confidence last season with Barnsley. 

48 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think the idea of congratulating the club on protecting its asset is laughable considering the better players we have let run their deals down.....that's what the poster was doing

Does it not show though that the club has has learnt it's lesson and shows they're looking ahead a little? After all, had the club done this 2 years ago with Arma, or 1 year ago with BBD, TK, JR, DL & RN, we wouldn't be risking them leaving on frees (or cheap, in Arma's, BBD's & TK's case).

Someone said on here previously that it's famously quoted that the definition of madness is to keep doing the same thing & expecting a different outcome. This is an example of the club doing something different to what has been done in the past, yet being criticised for it.

Hopefully it's a positive sign of some forward planning, of football people making sensible football decisions, for which the club should be given credit (albeit perhaps standard operating practise elsewhere, but we know hasn't been the case at Rovers for far too long).

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

What will be his nickname?

1. Godfather of Soul

2. Mr Dynamite 

3. Soul Brother No 1

Whatever it is he’ll need to be one hell of a player to push Nyambi, plus Pike has looked good when I’ve seen him for the U23s.

“ The Hardest Working Man In Show business “  ? That’s what they called him on “ Live At The Apollo “.

8 hours ago, islander200 said:

Gallagher signed his new deal

Why oh why have we done that?  In my mind the worst player on the squad and I am sure it will serve to alienate our other contract holdouts.  Baffling.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Why oh why have we done that?  In my mind the worst player on the squad and I am sure it will serve to alienate our other contract holdouts.  Baffling.

Sorry can't agree with this if played in a central position will score 15-20 a season 

• Like 3

I have never really got from where such a prediction has come from, that Gallagher could get 20 goals if played central. I actually think that some of his better games this season have come from wide where there is less dependance on him to bring others into play etc. I dont ever see him being prolific however.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, USABlue said:

This would have been the reaction last winter if we’d agreed a new deal with BBD. The club can’t win.

How does re-signing Gallagher have any bearing on the players out of contract?

No need to manufacture a negative slant for the sake of it.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

James Brown - what's everyone's opinions on it? Will he actually ever play?

Wait a minute!
Shake your arm, then use your form
Stay on the scene like a sex machine
You got to have the feeling sure as you're born
Get it together, right on, right on