BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

44 minutes ago, briansol said:

I really don't hope we change style just to optimize Dack's output. Finally found a system where the whole is stronger than the parts. It's better to wait untill Dack is fit enough to play the system. I also think Dack is more than collecting knockdowns from a target man. He was roaming midfielder in his Gillingham days, so should be able to play the Buckley role when fit enough.

Agree but we do need a plan B, not just plan A with different personnel if things aren't working. Playing off a target man could be an option especially with heavy pitches. Its beyond coincidence that Rovers' poorer games in our great run is PNE and Huddesfield after torrential downpours.

Dack's ability in finding space in and around the box was key to many of his goals with Graham. I cant see SG giving that ability to hold and lay the ball off. 

I'm worried that with two serious knee injuries that box to box is a bit much to expect now.

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

What would folks opinion be if we were to sign Chris Wood on a 2 year deal in January from our East Lancs neighbours?

Not for me at all personally.

As Tyrone rightly says we've (thankfully) moved away from the hoofing the ball up to a big lump model and our style of play is way better now imo.

Secondly he's 30 and has only scored 3 goals this season. Is he past his best?

Thirdly he'd presumably have to be on big money wage wise by our standards. For the sort of money we'd have to pay him there must surely be better up and coming options or players at the peak of their prowess available somewhere rather than ones already slightly on the downgrade.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

What would folks opinion be if we were to sign Chris Wood on a 2 year deal in January from our East Lancs neighbours?

Excellent business providing brereton stays. Another option. Someone who can hold a ball up and be a danger from set pieces . Something we lack at the minute

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Agree but we do need a plan B, not just plan A with different personnel if things aren't working.

We already have one carthorse in Gallagher if we want to go down that route in the last segment of games.

Why would we want another older, more expensive one?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Better trying to find someone who can supply a killer pass if we're up against it.

Thought we had that already with the midfield that contains Buckley and Rothwell, but at times conditions and opposoition formations prevent this being effective. At times a bit more Agricultral football is needed. The key is variation

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We already have one carthorse in Gallagher if we want to go down that route in the last segment of games.

Why would we want another older, more expensive one?

Same was said when we signed Danny Graham. He could hold the ball, trick centre halves into giving away free kicks. Are you saying you can see that in Sam Gallagher, Im afraid I cant.

I not saying we need to change everything but after an hour sometimes  the ability to buy a free kick is a skill I think Rovers miss at the moment.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Well, I guess both Gallagher and Chris Wood are both 6" 3". The difference being is that when competing for a headed ball, Gallagher is 5'8" and Chris Wood is 7"!.......if Gally could perhaps grow in stature.............

We've just given Gallagher a new contract though..........

Like I say, not for me at all. We've got into the top three playing a certain way and it's no coincidence at all we have played our best with no Gallagher in the starting line up.

Giving Gallagher a new contract and bringing Wood in would smack of trying to dismantle everything that has made us successful this season and go down a completely different route. It would also run contrary to the ethos of this squad of having young hungry players.

Plus, if we did go up, Wood would be next to useless.

• Like 1

Chris Wood would be a bit of a coup in my opinion. Probably a class above anyone we'll get this window. Can't imagine he'd be available or that we'd be able to offer him the wages he'd want (apparently on £50k a week at Burnley). Can only assume that's a very ambitious rumour as opposed to anything of substance.

8 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Same was said when we signed Danny Graham. He could hold the ball, trick centre halves into giving away free kicks. Are you saying you can see that in Sam Gallagher, Im afraid I cant.

Yes, but the stats speak for themselves, we never did anything whatsoever at Championship level with Graham in the side.

Barely ever threatened the top half, let alone a serious play off push.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, but we never did anything whatsoever at Championship level with Graham in the side.

That wasn't down to Danny Graham on his own... which you know of course

You've always had a beef with him. I thought overall he was excellent for us. We've still not got a forward who can hold up the ball like he did. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

That wasn't down to Danny Graham on his own... which you know of course

You've always had a beef with him. I thought overall he was excellent for us. We've still not got a forward who can hold up the ball like he did. 

Incredibly over-rated, rarely fit and well past his best when he was here for me Jim. He was quite good in his first half season on loan though when he was after a deal.

In the unlikely event we did sign Wood I'd hope he was a bloody sight better than Graham but even so I find enthusiasm for the New Zealander bizarre.

Having finally stumbled across something that works after three fairly dismal seasons we need to keep things basically as they are and just add a few minor tweaks to try and keep things ticking over. 

Instead some seem to want to rip it all up and start again and move away from something that works to something that history has told us doesn't in this day and age.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Having finally stumbled across something that works after three fairly dismal seasons we need to keep things basically as they are and just add a few minor tweaks to try and keep things ticking over. 

Instead some seem to want to rip it all up and start again and move away from something that works to something that history has told us doesn't in this day and age.

I liked Graham but I have to agree with this part. Why do we need Wood? He is not the type of player we need right now

Its been working with Buckley through the middle and Khadra and BB out wide. Get us a more polished Dolan or a Khadra we own but Wood is just a bit of an odd fit if you ask me 

Even if we did want a player to hold the ball up I think there’s better than Wood out there 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Forest now bidding for Jed Wallace after interest from Turkey. There you go Venkys, an available, top class Championship player who has played in a 2 for Millwall this season and gives proven quality. I wont hold my breath...

Great player, although Forest would have to pay some wages to compete with Besiktas who can offer a pre-contract and sign him as free agent in the summer. 

52 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, but the stats speak for themselves, we never did anything whatsoever at Championship level with Graham in the side.

I'm not saying it worked all the time. As previous seasons have proved Mowbray's teams have one way of playing only, whether that's this season's style, last season's possession bore or playing off Danny Graham.

I much prefer this season's efforts but as I've said earlier there are times when things aren't going to plan. A more direct style where we can by pass midfield and get to the front men can be effective late on in games. For that to be effective we need someone who is comfortable with their back to goal like a Graham in his prime.

The ability to mix things up is an ability that we could help us over the line. 

• Like 2