BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

9 minutes ago, briansol said:

The way clubs run in the Championship are totally unsustainable, and we are one of the worst.

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-footballs-wage-crisis-sits-in-the-championship-rather-than-the-premier-league

Exactly.And i for one think out of contract players at all championship clubs will be in for rude awakening when they go looking for new clubs.The days of players getting 25k+ per week are over in this division imo

14 minutes ago, briansol said:

The way clubs run in the Championship are totally unsustainable, and we are one of the worst.

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-footballs-wage-crisis-sits-in-the-championship-rather-than-the-premier-league

The next published accounts will read very differently from the last. Bell, Mulgrew, Bennett, Downing, Evans, Holtby and Armstrong between them will have accounted for a massive percentage of our wage bill. The youngsters and loanees we have stopped paying will probably be similar to the amount in wages of those we have brought in.

Added to the fact we now have match day revenue and ticket sales coming in again, the picture does look better - still far from perfect.

38 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

And you know this how?

From what both Waggott and Mowbray have said. They believe they have made “good offers”. There hasn’t been any talk of improved deals in the last 3 months or so, when the aforementioned changes have all really become apparent. 

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 1

It comes down to this - lets say Nyambe is currently on £4000 per week (this is the figure I've heard from a few people, and probably about what I would expect him to be on)

He might be expecting to go to £8000 a week (this might be a very reasonable demand given the wages of others at the club and he and his agent won't be making that demand on a whim - they will know what he can get elsewhere. He's not going to turn down a good offer to gamble on someone picking him up and offering him more.

We 'might' have offered him £5000 a week - a 25% increase on his current wage plus other perks. To someone like Waggott that probably represents an excellent offer and indeed to most people in the real world would jump at such an increase. But it isn't enough - not when the likes of Ayala are on £15,000 a week and barely play.

So a 25% increase is strictly speaking a good substantial increase on offer - but still not remotely enough for what an established player would expect. That doesn't mean that Nyambe is 'holding the club to ransom'' for demanding £25k per week - just like Bauer wasn't ever demanding £40,000 a week to leave Charlton. It is nonsense.

Brereton is another one that could have been sorted last summer and an extension awarded - now quite rightly there's little chance of him staying. Last summer he only had 12 months remaining on his deal - the time for renewing had already long passed.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Our billionaire owners could pick up the phone right now and give the promotion push a massive boost by paying these players what they think they're worth.

They COULD, but they appear to be relying on the advice of their manager and CEO who seem to be on record as saying that during the pandemic the manager didn't think it was an appropriate time to be handing out new deals and it would upset the rest of the squad.

And, having previously landed in trouble with FFP, the CEO now seems to favour wittering on out about "a wage structure" which if there is one needs a massive degree of flexibility as different players have different levels of ability and could fetch vastly differing amounts were they to be sold and he let the cat out of the bag anyway when he claimed they would have offered Armstrong a lot more money to stay. So they can obviously make exceptions if they wish.

The whole thing boils down to Mowbray and Waggott not anticipating the problem in advance and not sorting it out at the appropriate time.

And, if we don't go up, no doubt we'll have the same problem with Kaminsky and Travis in 12 months time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It comes down to this - lets say Nyambe is currently on £4000 per week (this is the figure I've heard from a few people, and probably about what I would expect him to be on)

He might be expecting to go to £8000 a week (this might be a very reasonable demand given the wages of others at the club and he and his agent won't be making that demand on a whim - they will know what he can get elsewhere. He's not going to turn down a good offer to gamble on someone picking him up and offering him more.

We 'might' have offered him £5000 a week - a 25% increase on his current wage plus other perks. To someone like Waggott that probably represents an excellent offer and indeed to most people in the real world would jump at such an increase. But it isn't enough - not when the likes of Ayala are on £15,000 a week and barely play.

So a 25% increase is strictly speaking a good substantial increase on offer - but still not remotely enough for what an established player would expect. That doesn't mean that Nyambe is 'holding the club to ransom'' for demanding £25k per week - just like Bauer wasn't ever demanding £40,000 a week to leave Charlton. It is nonsense.

Brereton is another one that could have been sorted last summer and an extension awarded - now quite rightly there's little chance of him staying. Last summer he only had 12 months remaining on his deal - the time for renewing had already long passed.

I agree in theory with what you say and you are probably in the ball park. But on the other side of it is that Rovers, using your figures, could be offering £8,000/week for Nyambe but his agent could be looking for things such as image rights, loyalty bonus or signing on fees which maybe the difference in the two parties.  

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Everything has changed over the last 18 months, apart from the terms on offer.

We do have form for this, during summer transfer windows we seem to table offers early for players which presumably aren't worth the paper they're written on. That's usually then the last we hear of it and we're forced onto lists B, C and D despite the Club letting it be known that we have offers on the table for several players etc.

However I would have assumed in this instance that we'd be making a series of  improved offers and the aim would be to get the players to come down slightly from their original demands.

Not even Mowbray and Waggott would be incompetent enough to make one off offers and leave it at that would they?

1 minute ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I agree in theory with what you say and you are probably in the ball park. But on the other side of it is that Rovers, using your figures, could be offering £8,000/week for Nyambe but his agent could be looking for things such as image rights, loyalty bonus or signing on fees which maybe the difference in the two parties.  

Nyambe's worth far more than 8k p.w. imo. 

IF that's all he's asking for we should have snapped his hand off at the elbow from the outset.

I would have thought they all want approximate parity with our top earners, and looking at their contributions on the pitch it's hard to make a case they shouldn't get it.

The key thing from the Club's point of view is, could we replace them with similar quality for less than the cost of offering them improved deals?

I'd say clearly not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Nyambe's worth far more than 8k p.w. imo. 

IF that's all he's asking for we should have snapped his hand off at the elbow from the outset.

I would have thought they all want approximate parity with our top earners, and looking at their contributions on the pitch it's hard to make a case they shouldn't get it.

The key thing from the Club's point of view is, could we replace them with similar quality for less than the cost of offering them improved deals?

I'd say clearly not.

I was using JH Rovers figures to maintain a constant. I unlike many on here dont claim to be in the know on wages. I agree they all would like parity with top earners but some have to realise that this is not a factory where all on the same payscale.

5 minutes ago, CheshireRover said:

Deyovaisio Zeefuik in then it seems… Great signing.

The fans will struggle singing his name......any offers in how you pronounce it?

He's a right back... does that mean Nyambe's going?

6 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I was using JH Rovers figures to maintain a constant. I unlike many on here dont claim to be in the know on wages. I agree they all would like parity with top earners but some have to realise that this is not a factory where all on the same payscale.

Yet Mowbray used exactly the same argument in reverse to justify NOT handing  out improved deals to the three at an appropriate time.

Didn't want to upset the rest of the squad etc.