BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 24/1/22

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I recorded it and watched it last night after I got back from the game there was a definite Boro bias and they wouldn't shut up about Wilder.In fairness to Downing pre match he said both us and Boro would make the playoffs.

Hardly surprising he was more focused on Boro when he supports the club and is from the area 

One stat from last night regarding Gallagher in his last 10 starts 5 goals and 3 assists. Good numbers

Had we been judging Gally purely on this season's output, we'd still have been frustrated with certain aspects of his game but they would be secondary to his very decent goal record.

Obviously the signing gets judged for previous seasons too, so I wouldn't want to go overboard and say that it was £5million well spent, but he definitely deserves credit for this season and the decision to buy him in the first place looks much better than it did this time last year. 

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Had we been judging Gally purely on this season's output, we'd still have been frustrated with certain aspects of his game but they would be secondary to his very decent goal record.

Obviously the signing gets judged for previous seasons too, so I wouldn't want to go overboard and say that it was £5million well spent, but he definitely deserves credit for this season and the decision to buy him in the first place looks much better than it did this time last year. 

Yeah he is definitely playing his part this season and it was a lovely finish last night.

The £5 million fee will be forgotten about if he helps get us over the line and promoted

• Like 2

6 hours ago, garnersfags said:

I wanted Davenport instead of Gallacher, but Tony has decided to let him waste away on the bench. 

How come Davenport never gets a look in? He'll be another who runs his contract down at this rate.

I don't recall him letting us down when he has been on the pitch.

• Like 3

The Rovers official site had some quotes from Mowbray saying that Johnson got the nod over Davenport due to the former's physicality.

Given that Davenport's a defensive midfielder, that is, I think, a damning statement on someone Mowbray spent money on to sign. He'll surely leave either this summer, or if kept on as back-up, next, on a free.

I suppose Johnson might be off too. Though, if promoted, I'm guessing Mowbray might keep him for sentimental reasons, as he sought to hang on to Elliot Bennett, but I'm not sure he'd offer anything.

Edited by riverholmes

53 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

The Rovers official site had some quotes from Mowbray saying that Johnson got the nod over Davenport due to the former's physicality.

Given that Davenport's a defensive midfielder, that is, I think, a damning statement on someone Mowbray spent money on to sign. He'll surely leave either this summer, or if kept on as back-up, next, on a free.

I suppose Johnson might be off too. Though, if promoted, I'm guessing Mowbray might keep him for sentimental reasons, as he sought to hang on to Elliot Bennett, but I'm not sure he'd offer anything.

I can see the logic behind Mowbray’s thinking, it was like having a fourth centre half in front of the normal three.

Without doubt. Scoring goals has never been an issue under TM, clean sheets have.

He’s obviously always wanted to play this formation, he has attempted it intermittently throughout, but we just didn’t have the players, until now.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Remember when we went 2-0 up at Preston, then they brought that big lump on up front against Williams and Tosin and we ended up getting beat 3-2.  What I like about this team is that would have just been bread and butter for them.  Proper central defenders.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Remember when we went 2-0 up at Preston, then they brought that big lump on up front against Williams and Tosin and we ended up getting beat 3-2.  What I like about this team is that would have just been bread and butter for them.  Proper central defenders.

Putting the L1 season aside, we've been too easy to score against since Sam left. Some managers have had spells of taking conservative, defensive minded decisions such as Bowyer at times, but they never really solved the problem of us being a bit soft at the back. 

Such a refreshing change this year. Eight clean sheets in ten is outstanding at any level, and as you say, all three centre backs have been absolutely immense. 

• Like 4

Mowbrays possession football was probably mainly driven by an attempt to shore things up by keeping the ball and protecting the fragile defense. Didn't really work and certainly didn't suit a lot of the players particularly the young ones hence the loaning of of more experienced heads across the middle, which didn't really work either.

Identifying and signing good full time bread and butter defenders has been his achilles heel for years. How times change though when now the best most cultured center half hes had can't get in the team.

It's really unbelievable how the 3 big lads have just gelled together, god bless the youth !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2