BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 24/1/22

1 minute ago, only2garners said:

Was the tactical change not when Butterworth came on for Khadra? Zeefuik's appearance was too late in the game to make much difference.

Zeefuik put on to put some energy back on the park ..we were flagging energy wise. 

He certainly had a nice lil cameo thats for sure.

• Like 2

We shifted Buckley left before he came off, helping Edun out; with DB right and Gally central. Then Zeefuik came on and they went 5-4-1 with DB left helping Edun and Zeefuik right helping Nyambe.

53 minutes ago, 47er said:

I think the ref's 2 worse decisions evened themselves out. They should have had a penalty, we should have been waving "cheerio" to  Connelly.

I was surprised to see we got some luck with the goal. VAR would have spotted Gallagher coming back from an off-side position.

We deserved it though simply with our desire and commitment.

Their lad got a touch on it before Gallagher did. Not offside.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Whether Zeefiuck could play there I've no idea but I'm never too comfortable with a right footer on the left or vice versa.

You never saw Sir Keith, Rev, a right footer who was equally at home on the left and top class wherever he played. David Nish was a classy right footed England left back in the 1970s. You're right about Nyambe though, I think he'd get outmanouevred at left back because the angles of play are all different and I don't think he's got the nous to do it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I think the ref's 2 worse decisions evened themselves out. They should have had a penalty, we should have been waving "cheerio" to  Connelly.

I was surprised to see we got some luck with the goal. VAR would have spotted Gallagher coming back from an off-side position.

and what about missing the ball going 2 foot over the line in the last minute and then giving them a free kick instead of us a throw in

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Talking of Butterworth, what was wrong with the lad last night? He looked like he couldn't be bothered. I've seen him play only a few times but I've yet to see what he offers. Could someone explain? 

You've got to think it's attitude related why we don't see him more after that. He must've sprinted twice in 20 minutes.

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Talking of Butterworth, what was wrong with the lad last night? He looked like he couldn't be bothered. I've seen him play only a few times but I've yet to see what he offers. Could someone explain? 

Offers absolutely nothing other than he's a cheap body to have in the first team squad. He's either unfit or just not willing to work hard. He needs to be shipped out on loan. He's nowhere near good enough at the moment to be our first attacking option off the bench.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

This season reminds me a little of the league one season.  Except this time we are doing the Shrewsbury. Over performing based on expectations.  Picking up wins when the odds are against.  Bouncing back when we do lose.  Hopefully, we don't tail off right at the death!

This feels like the old "normal" to me-pre JW.

One reason we used to fall down the league in Feb/March was depth of squad. While we lost key players or key players lost form, our rivals were able to strengthen.

I remember thinking it was going to be so different in 1988, when we signed Ardiles in March, but tragedy struck at Plymouth.

I am loving this team. And you are so right. Among other virtues, they do seem to have the ability to use adversity to heighten their determination to bounce back.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, 47er said:

I'll watch it again!

Bit of a weird one that because they’ve changed the rules haven’t they? 

I think previously it’s offside but that glance of his shin pad meant he wasn’t.

Not that that rules had any impact on the linesman imo, I assume he thought Sam was onside originally anyway

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I don't think its that he cant be bothered. He had one lung bursting run when he first came on then looked knacked for the rest of the game. Ive noticed it before when he comes on, he doesnt seem to be up to the pace and have enough stamina at this level.

56 minutes ago, 47er said:

I'll watch it again!

It hits Buckley (I think) then bounces over, the Boro player lashes out and gets a touch on it which meant Gallagher was onside. But in the online highlights it's difficult to see, Sky showed a better and closer slow motion replay if you can find it. Ignore my other reply I can't type this morning.

Still a lucky bounce and lucky that the other Boro player didn't get more on it.

1436044225_Screenshot2022-01-25at10_50_35.thumb.png.46d67401709e9cdd677d00b554b713ec.png

Difficult to get a clean freeze frame on YouTube.

Edited by booth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HowieFive0 said:

Zeefuik put on to put some energy back on the park ..we were flagging energy wise. 

He certainly had a nice lil cameo thats for sure.

Looks to be an outstanding wing-back. Awesome coming forward. Time will tell.

• Like 2

Whilst Travis isn't the most elegant of players he is almost Savagesque in his on field play. He is a ratter who closes players down without always making a challenge and often his off the ball work is as important as his work with the ball. I really like his shithousery though. Last night there was a break in play as Edun and Brown (I think) were having treatment. As is normal players came across for a drink and Travis took a bottle and walked fifteen yards on to the pitch with it. Just before the referee was about to start play he threw the bottle deliberately to land equidistant between where he was and the technical area. The referee was about to blow when Mowbray told the fourth official there was a bottle on the pitch. The fourth official, via the communications system told the referee to wait whilst he went to retrieve it. Travis's part was certainly gamesmanship but I don't think it was rehearsed for Mowbray to get involved.

• Like 5

What a result last night, had us totally pegged for a loss especially with Rothwell being out.
I do get what people are saying about Edun, defensively he does seem to be an accident waiting to happen. I don't know what he was playing at coming in from behind the Boro chap that could have led to their penalty. He seems to have a massive eagerness to get on the ball which was typified by the 50/50 challenge near the end. I love that he knew he was more than likely going to get clobbered but he didn't care, he was getting to that ball first.
He would definitely strike me as more of a midfield player, where we could put that energy to good use without having to worry about him being potentially a last line of defense.

In the Hull thread I absolutely lambasted Gallagher for his complete lack of effort. We all know he ain't the most technically gifted of players but putting the work in should be a given. It's only fair that I give him massive credit for last night, that was a proper shift he put in.
You could see that the goal gave him confidence aswell, the run through from the right into the centre that nearly led to a chance for Johnson is something we havent really seen him do in some time.
I'm surprised no one was mentioned it (apologies if someone has) but near the end Boro had the ball on the left and Gallagher legged it from the centre and put in a good tackle to keep them back. Again massive effort by him to try keep them up the pitch, so hats off to the man!

Cant stop looking at the table. I keep getting this feeling that we'll eventually fall away and as each month goes by we're still here. Hell, its bloody February now and we are still hanging around at the top!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

I don't see a better centre half in the division than Lenihan or Van Hecke. Monsters.

Im not 100% on Van Hecke - got completely owned by Eaves at Hull. Handled Crooks alright last night though.

Like Edun at left back I think he will be targeted as the season moves forward. As other teams do their homework they will look at how Eaves pressured him and try and replicate it. 

Good player, would love him to become a Rover, but think he hasn't been fully tested yet.

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Im not 100% on Van Hecke - got completely owned by Eaves at Hull. Handled Crooks alright last night though.

Like Edun at left back I think he will be targeted as the season moves forward. As other teams do their homework they will look at how Eaves pressured him and try and replicate it. 

Good player, would love him to become a Rover, but think he hasn't been fully tested yet.

Eaves is probably in the form of his life though, there is that.

3 hours ago, 47er said:

I wondered about the offside prior to him scoring.  Still says 1-0 so that is good 

• Like 1