BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 24/1/22

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's rubbish. If Mowbray rated him highly enough he'd tell the owners that he thought Nyambe was worth what he was asking for and he'd have signed a new deal by now.

Would have cost a lot less if he'd done it 24-30 months ago though.

What sort of logic is it that if the owners dont authorise the necessary funds to pay Nyambe whatever he wants, that its down to Mowbray for not pleading enough!

1 minute ago, garnersfags said:

I agree 100% with your point about Edun, he will cost us points this season. 

Not sure about TM not being involved in negotiations, tho. He has a significant involvement, through his views on how valuable a player is to the team and club, and how much he thinks we should be trying to keep him. These opinions and advice to the owners have a bearing on how much will will offer that player. 

I agree with Rev, if we can keep Nyambe, and buy Zeefiuk, our right back position would be the strongest in the League, and potentially a solid PL pairing. 

Of course but it is quite clear from everything this season that we are working on a very toght budget. When Nyambe is available, he plays, Mowbray has said repeatedly that he wants to keep all of this squad together, negotiations have been had which suggests a willingness from Nyambe that wouldnt exist if he was anything but happy, but we cannot offer any more. So ultimately it is down to money, which is not Mowbrays fault.

Zeefuik had a promising cameo but it was very brief and more advanced than he will normally play. I will need to see more before I am sure that a permanent signing would be good. Nyambe of course id love to sign long term.

On Edun, he is so rash, a big liability. I wonder if a left wing back is more pressing than a midfielder, freeing up Edun to solely play there when called upon?

• Like 2

Bloody well done.  I did not expect us to be able to pull this one out.  More so in the 2nd half, I thiught we were decent 1st half but feared another ToMo half time team talk had put paid to any chances if winning, Boro were well on top early in the 2nd.

Pleased,.very.oleased.we.manage.to.win that.

• Like 1

Obviously delighted with the result 

few pointers to me if we are to keep up the momentum though

- we lack some options from the bench , can we use a loan to get a poveda type in. I know markanday was meant to be that and its a cruel hand but in some ways ideal in that we can replace , few weeks time we couldn’t. Butterworth looks like a boy lost, need some better heads than that to see games out or find a winner in tight games 

- we lose a lot when our fullbacks are out, don’t realise how important nyambe and Pickering are until they are out. With a jrc in right back I’m not sure we win this one. Another area we could do with strengthening 

- on a wee side note, absolute credit for wilder in his interview. I’d be happy to have him in our dugout 

• Like 1

Wow!! What a result.

Would it be too hyperbole to say that the result last night was the most significant, important and gutsy win since our relegation from the prem 10 years ago?

When you consider all of the ingredients..players missing, including 2 vital ones in the midfield and attack. Playing the in form team of the division managed by a very astute manager. The opportunity to open real daylight on the playoff positions and heap pressure on bournemouth. The knowledge that a defeat would gather negative momentum as well as give qpr and other below and great chance to pass us.

I was hoping for and would have taken a point. A victory is sensational.

I live in Nz now and ko was 8.45am. I spent most of the morning in the office half listening to colleagues and going to the bog every 10 mins minutes check the score. 

Onwards and upwards!

• Like 9

Great battling performance from the whole team. Just what was needed after the recent wobble. Gally looked brilliant fair balls to him he shifted and put himself about. Great finish across the goal aswell. Zeefuik looked lightening in his little cameo and was unlucky not to get a debut goal. We defended so well last night, they had so many corners and free kicks and we seemed to win the majority. As nights go at ewood that was up there for recent times. Class all round.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why is this sort of post expected from you after a great win? You dont seem to realise that those not attending in the main are floating fans. They dont have as much interest as the core that go every week, they arent missing out as much as you think you would be or any on here (avid fans who regularly post on a messageboard such is the passion) if you wasnt going. 

Its all down to the club to entice more people in. Attendances have gone up recently and the atmosphere has been superb. The players do deserve support and they are 100% getting lots of it.

I am giving my point of view! Where have a been negative about the performance? I will tell you this they are missing out because this is the best football in 10 years and more and we have players who are actually wearing the shirt with pride and the camaraderie is wonderful, watching these players engaging with fans and responding is bloody excellent, so yes this is what they are missing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I am giving my point of view! Where have a been negative about the performance? I will tell you this they are missing out because this is the best football in 10 years and more and we have players who are actually wearing the shirt with pride and the camaraderie is wonderful, watching these players engaging with fans and responding is bloody excellent, so yes this is what they are missing.

Makes no sense. Who are "they?!" Floating fans who arent that passoniate about supporting Rovers and can take it or leave it and will need enticing in/back in by more than good form.

And some more will dip back in for a weekend game when/if we are closing in on promotion, that’s what floating fans do.

We are seeing double the standard amount of walk ons every week now, we’ve sold record half STs, we’ll undoubtedly see some big crowds in the run in. And of course, STs, STs, STs in the summer need to be pushed and pushed (whatever division we end up in).

All that is all good news after a decade in the doldrums, so there’s no point pining for those that walked away between 2010 and 2012 (and believe me, I have pined for them), ordering them to ‘come back’, to ‘get behind the club’, as many of those former ST holders have long, long moved on…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Massive result that and great to see the refusing to lose mentality coming back.

Gallagher well that was the type of performance we need from him he isn't the best but he can cause problems and make a big contribution.  Having Travis back was key he pulls the whole thing together, Edun though is a disaster waiting to happen at left back. There's only so long we'll get away with that before finding ourselves 2 nil down so i hope Mowbray wakes up to it.

Another good night though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That was excellent. We played most of our football in the first half and defended for our lives in the second half. That was the most committed Rovers performances I’ve seen for a while. Some of it wasn’t pretty but it was a performance full of guts. Win, lose or draw that’s all I ever ask. We rode our luck at times but last week we got none. I didn’t see this coming but what do I know about football !

I think the ref's 2 worse decisions evened themselves out. They should have had a penalty, we should have been waving "cheerio" to  Connelly.

I was surprised to see we got some luck with the goal. VAR would have spotted Gallagher coming back from an off-side position.

We deserved it though simply with our desire and commitment.

Nyambe and Trav really did make all the difference. Nyambe may not be so good at crossing the ball but his runs forward with pace and drive really do help us turn teams around quickly.

Was impressed with Zeefuik's cameo too. The guy looks big and very fast!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Well that's their loss isn't it? If you can come up with schemes to entice them back I'm sure the ever-receptive Waggot will put the kettle on for you!

Another result ground out in a way we haven't done for a very long time .....a really important win.

Thought the defence, especially Lenihan were outstanding - and Gallagher worked hard (as he usually does) and got a winner from nowhere. Travis made a huge difference in midfield. Johnson was absent for most of the first half, but improved later on.

Edun - I think shows some promise, but was outclassed too many times by a very good player against him especially in the second half. He looks much happier going forward but when defending he really shows his inexperience ( should have cost us a penalty) , and our performances have definitely dipped without Pickering. But at the moment I don't see an alternative.

Liked the look of Zeefuik in the few minutes we saw.

Fantastic battling result, rovers on top first half then boro the second. The turnaround in our defence is incredible this season, they make it so hard for the opposition to create any chances with this formation. The only way Boro were going to score last night was from one of their 500 free kicks into the box they seemed to have! 

Looked a lot more solid with Nyambe and Travis back in the team, feels like we have gone off the boil in an attacking sense these last few games but still managing to get the odd goal. As per usual most of the chances come from Buckley who was moved back to his forward role and was outstanding, how we missed that against Hull.

One negative for me was the performance of Butterworth, he has clearly got the talent but he just seems so lazy last night and failed to chase down balls or press the opposition. It almost reduced us to 10 men for the period he was on he was that ineffective, inviting more and more pressure. Something that can be coached into him thankfully but as bare minimum you need to put the yards in.

Defintately could do with some signings this week with all the injuries, maybe Dack will be back on the bench next time we are Ewood given his run out last night.

9 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

All this SG winger / down the middle BRFCS mantra is far too simplistic. It seems pretty clear to me that, when the opposition have it at the back, Buckley plays in the middle between Khadra and BD/SG, who are pretty wide near the touchline cutting off passing options to the fullbacks. Buckley is usually the most forward as he’s the best presser. As soon as the ball goes forward, Buckley drops back into a forward midfield position and the two forwards come in from the flanks to play as a two. It’s been this way ever since we went to a back 3, Hull excepted.

Much more eloquently explained than I managed EIT!

9 hours ago, JoeH said:

The shift to 5-4-1 was honestly inspired. Balogun was making things happen down our right and Jones making things happen down our left. Zeefuik on and Buckley shifted left to help double up on both sides was a great tactical move.

Like a game of chess, everything Wilder did, Mowbray had an answer... with *that* bench too...

Zeefuik came on for Buckley.

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

There's one playing next to them.

Wharton.

He compliments them very well but Lenihan is the best in the division by a fair way for my money this season.