BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Utd (a) - 23/2/22 - Match Preview

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We should have Started Dolan in the false 9 and asked him to replicate his performance and how he needs to play to the Swansea and Cardff home games  

Or, bare with me, bin the false 9. We’re Blackburn Rovers not 2011 Barcelona.

7 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

This.

We still have comrades on this board that think Gally should start.

I don't agree with them, and I would start Hedges ahead of him. 

By Saturday, we'll have posters defending Gally again. And when he is dropped, he'll magically become the prodigal messiah again, and not just in his uncle Tony's wet dreams....

I think he plays Gally for his defensive headers. It can’t be for his goal threat. His one strength is running on to balls played in front of him. Teams just play deep and deny him the space nowadays.

• Like 3

All this talk of formation change is doing my head in. We don't need a wholesale system change. We should keep the 3 at the back and travis infront as a constant. We can adapt around that solid base. I hate this false nine, wide forward rubbish. No point sending in crosses if no-one to get on end of them. Play 1 up top with 2 in behind. 

Problem is the only one up top is Gallagher. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Or, bare with me, bin the false 9. We’re Blackburn Rovers not 2011 Barcelona.

I've not mention Barcelona but mention Dolan playing the centre role in front 3 and he can play press from the front, chase the ball down like he did in 2 excellent performances and wins  

23 minutes ago, booth said:

Maja looks like he would have made a difference too.

Dwight Gayle was pie in the sky, which ever way you slice it, but I can't understand the Maja deal and why we never persuaded that target. Mowbray chased his signature for such a long time, I wonder if we were priced out of that one too.

Hugely disappointing last night.  I think SU wanted it more and showed more passion and bottle.  A big opportunity missed.

Let's be honest, we could have been down and out by half time as SU should have been, and deservedly, 2 goals to the good.

Much better 2nd half but if your opponents are down to 10 men, you miss a penalty then you can ultimately pay the price, as we did.  The penalty miss was huge - a real shot of adrenalin for SU's players and fans, you could plainly see and hear the effect.

We've hit a barren patch at the wrong time and our confidence is bound to wane.

IMO, too many question marks against too many of our players; IMO:

• Buckley - too weak and went missing in action again last night.
  • Travis - just concentrate on your feckin football and stop all the antics and trying to be the 'hard man' as you are not and going back over the years, many a player would have had you for breakfast.
  • Rothwell  - not been the same since the transfer saga and I doubt he'll be fit for Saturday as he took a bad blow and ran it off to a degree but clearly carrying his leg right to the end
  • Gallagher - stealing a living from the game.  Woeful for a £5million man and never on earth should he have been given a new contract
  • Hedges - FFS, we've not scored for 5 games and he can't get on the pitch, WTF does that say about him

We need to give Vale a chance - can he really do any worse and make us less effective?

It's not over yet and we can still scrape 6th but I think Mowbray needs to stop looking through rose coloured spectacles, bang a few heads together and shake things up a bit.  But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, no new contract for the man.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 7

I thought before the game last night that a draw would be a reasonable result - to lose it in added time was just tragic.

On the game itself - we were overrun and hopeless for the first 10-15mins, then gradually got ourselves together. The defence, and midfield improved and for the second half we were the better side, even before the sending off. Pickering, although completely off the pace at first got more involved and probably had our best shot on goal, I think he does make a difference.

But the real problem as we all know is not being able to score - we need to change things around although with the resources we have I'm not sure how (until Dack is fit to start)...  do we give Vale a try ?

Saturday against QPR is going to be another hard game, and then Fulham away we can just forget about.

image.jpeg.165f9bc01c3b20878f28d951541ccd30.jpeg

Edited by TonyM
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I've not mention Barcelona but mention Dolan playing the centre role in front 3 and he can play press from the front, chase the ball down like he did in 2 excellent performances and wins  

But he can’t pass or finish. If we’re selecting our line up on their ability to run alone then it’s no surprise we can’t hit a barn door.

I don't think its a great sign about Hedges. He starts 1 game and then disappears. Disappears when we need goals. 

How did Mowbray only make one sub last night? 

He is reverting to type I fear. We could be only in the middle of a death spiral, or worse......

Although he hasn't been helped by the club here. Tiny budget, but worse, he was undermined when he said he wanted to sell Rothwell and reinvest. We needed some new energy in the team...

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Gav said:

Dwight Gayle was pie in the sky, which ever way you slice it, but I can't understand the Maja deal and why we never persuaded that target. Mowbray chased his signature for such a long time, I wonder if we were priced out of that one too.

Or perhaps , we were never in for him at all..?

You must have been watching another game. I thought rovers were the better team and played the better football. They could have scored 3 or 4, if it wasn't for the dirty sheffield ba----ds who took rovers out the game with some horrific tackles.If we play like last night for the rest of the season we will soon be back on the winning trail. Well done rovers much improved.I won't mention there keeper moving before the penalty was taken. 

Edited by Geoff66
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

If we get a penalty on Saturday against QPR. Who takes it?

Not sure why Pickering didn't have last nights, he'd be my choice.

If you're good enough to take free kicks and corners you can take pens.

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Not sure why Pickering didn't have last nights, he'd be my choice.

If you're good enough to take free kicks and corners you can take pens.

It was a night for the captain to take the ball and blast it through the keeper into the back of the net. It’s as much about temperament as much as it’s about technique.

27 minutes ago, Geoff66 said:

You must have been watching another game. I thought rovers were the better team and played the better football. They could have scored 3 or 4, if it wasn't for the dirty sheffield ba----ds who took rovers out the game with some horrific tackles.If we play like last night for the rest of the season we will soon be back on the winning trail. Well done rovers much improved.I won't mention there keeper moving before the penalty was taken. 

Don’t disagree that they were a dirty side, but that’s not the reason we lost. 

If we play like we did last night for the rest of the season we won’t score another goal.

Until our forward players get into goal scoring positions, we are going to drop down the table like a stone. We need to create better chances and take them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Geoff66 said:

This is my take, but I have some sympathy with Miller's comments that if we play last night's team and approach, we'll never score again.

But I think last night was as good a 70 min as I've seen since Xmas, and that team deserves another go. If we play that well, we WILL win.

That may be a big if, but that's my preference. I'd probably accept Hedges for Gally, but Gally was part of a fluent, progressive performance, despite all I've said about not (ever) playing him. 

That's the only call for TM, we may even win despite Gally playing...

Edited by garnersfags

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

So you don't think we needed an experience forward in during the window?  As far as I can see markandy has never played a senior game before coming here....was he ever going to be the answer.....

We needed one of them and a midfielder and a back up keeper. 

I just don't see how playing 1 senior games makes a difference. What we really need is simply someone to put the ball in the net!