BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield Utd (a) - 23/2/22 - Match Preview

7 hours ago, garnersfags said:

This is a really good point. He seemed obviously a Park signing, and Mowbray is reluctant to play him.

That's is partly due to having most of our original winning side back in the squad, and you can't begrudge him the chance to give them one more chance. It sooo nearly paid off tonight.

I worry, tho, that Park will continue to lobby on behalf of sub-standard Scottish talent, tho I would have 100% put Hedges on ahead of Dolan tonight. 

COYB!!!!

Let's not forget TM wanted Park. Also TM must actually have some say as to whether we buy a player or not.

• Like 1

It appears that opposition managers have identified a real weakness in Kaminski from corners and are exploiting it. I have just seen the goal and it confirmed my thoughts at the time (and for some time now) that he is poor under pressure when opponents get around him. 

Kaminski will get blamed for the goal but the lad had an excellent game. We could have gone in 2-0 down at half time but for him. He’s hardly the problem though when we can’t score goals even when we’re handed a penalty 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Should have been 9. 

At least 😳

positive for me was the back four look solid as a unit again and kaminski was excellent. Pickering didn’t have one kid of his better games

khadra , penalty miss aside was excellent tonight and stepped up, shame no one else did around him. 

I was one who thought the Gallagher signing was a good signing. I’m starting to think it’s one of not many I’ve got wrong . I genuinely thought he’d come good the way arma , brereton etc did once he was given a run of games in his preferred position. Sadly he seems to have regressed. Khadra beat his man and looked up and Gallagher was standing with his arm up outside the box  ffs. He shows glimpses of desire to win the ball back but never to get into goal scoring positions. The amount of aerial duels he wins for a big lad is shocking and not only is his first touch abysmal he seems twice as slow as everyone else once he’s finally got it under control when turning or making a decision. Unless the ball is played to feet and he’s facing goal he slows play down considerably. 

Buckley and rothwell needed to step up to the plate and take some responsibility. They didn’t . 

Tony needed to make some positive changes after they went down to ten, He didn’t. Hedges needed to come on. Giles definitely needed to come on for Pickering. Nyambe needed to stay on. Non of that happened.

After the league title surrender to Wigan and now sat in 2nd place in February and tony coming out and saying I hope we get top six he clearly doesn’t have a winners mentality. He drives me mad. That team needs belief and drive and inspiration. Not you’ve done well lads let’s see what happens. We know what fecking happens tony and we’re in the middle of your famous death spiral yet again. I’m sick of it. Sick of the same predictable loser mentality crap after Xmas every year. More fool all of us for thinking this was somehow going to be different. It’s clear as day we needed a goal scorer in January. The stubborn prat.

we may beat QPR Saturday, although I highly doubt it, and then we get spanked at Fulham in front of the cameras yet again. We will already be clinging to sixth by goal Difference at best and we can enjoy a nice little run in April when it’s to late. 

I feel sick and I’m tired of the same BS every year . I swear to god he better not get a new contract come summer. 

I predicted we would finish bottom eight and stay up easily and it’s a miracle we are where we are but that proves to me that this team is capable. We have played everyone once and sat 2nd, the table doesn’t lie. So for god sake tony stop banging on about them being kids but being professional footballers who clearly have the ability to go further than hopefully top six. It should be the position we’re in, it would be a disaster to not stay there. If he doesn’t believe and just hopes then why would anyone else . 

Rant over . Sorry just really annoyed 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

At least 😳

positive for me was the back four look solid as a unit again and kaminski was excellent. Pickering didn’t have one kid of his better games

khadra , penalty miss aside was excellent tonight and stepped up, shame no one else did around him. 

I was one who thought the Gallagher signing was a good signing. I’m starting to think it’s one of not many I’ve got wrong . I genuinely thought he’d come good the way arma , brereton etc did once he was given a run of games in his preferred position. Sadly he seems to have regressed. Khadra beat his man and looked up and Gallagher was standing with his arm up outside the box  ffs. He shows glimpses of desire to win the ball back but never to get into goal scoring positions. The amount of aerial duels he wins for a big lad is shocking and not only is his first touch abysmal he seems twice as slow as everyone else once he’s finally got it under control when turning or making a decision. Unless the ball is played to feet and he’s facing goal he slows play down considerably. 

Buckley and rothwell needed to step up to the plate and take some responsibility. They didn’t . 

Tony needed to make some positive changes after they went down to ten, He didn’t. Hedges needed to come on. Giles definitely needed to come on for Pickering. Nyambe needed to stay on. Non of that happened.

After the league title surrender to Wigan and now sat in 2nd place in February and tony coming out and saying I hope we get top six he clearly doesn’t have a winners mentality. He drives me mad. That team needs belief and drive and inspiration. Not you’ve done well lads let’s see what happens. We know what fecking happens tony and we’re in the middle of your famous death spiral yet again. I’m sick of it. Sick of the same predictable loser mentality crap after Xmas every year. More fool all of us for thinking this was somehow going to be different. It’s clear as day we needed a goal scorer in January. The stubborn prat.

we may beat QPR Saturday, although I highly doubt it, and then we get spanked at Fulham in front of the cameras yet again. We will already be clinging to sixth by goal Difference at best and we can enjoy a nice little run in April when it’s to late. 

I feel sick and I’m tired of the same BS every year . I swear to god he better not get a new contract come summer. 

I predicted we would finish bottom eight and stay up easily and it’s a miracle we are where we are but that proves to me that this team is capable. We have played everyone once and sat 2nd, the table doesn’t lie. So for god sake tony stop banging on about them being kids but being professional footballers who clearly have the ability to go further than hopefully top six. It should be the position we’re in, it would be a disaster to not stay there. If he doesn’t believe and just hopes then why would anyone else . 

Rant over . Sorry just really annoyed 

The only positive is that I think he will resign come the end of the season…fresh face will be needed as we know we wont be going up with Mowbray.

only worry is what players will be leaving…Van hecke, Khadra, Lenihen, Diaz, Rothwell, Giles…Dack possibly…

19 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Kaminski will get blamed for the goal but the lad had an excellent game. We could have gone in 2-0 down at half time but for him. He’s hardly the problem though when we can’t score goals even when we’re handed a penalty 

He gets the blame because he was at fault and as I posted it appears that opposition managers see this aspect of his game as weak. He is up there with the best we have had for other facets of his game. 

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He gets the blame because he was at fault and as I posted it appears that opposition managers see this aspect of his game as weak. He is up there with the best we have had for other facets of his game. 

Hes a shot stopper who is also decent with shots from distance. 

He is weak on crosses, punching and sometimes in his kicking - all these when under any pressure.

On Gallagher and his aerial prowess - if he actually jumped it would help. He is a big man but not a big hard man. He's a softy and was before he got the lung damage. He can do a decent header but has to be in a position where there is not much challenge. He went missing when the Thugs scored from that corner. He does run around a lot, big f'ing deal, that's what he get the big bucks for. Ashley Ward was better and that sums it up.

Mowbray - my position is unchanged and will remain so whatever we do. Having said that I expect him to be offered and to accept a new contract. I preferred Bowyer.

• Like 2

So frustrating! As others have alluded to, I honestly don't think we were that bad but we just never looked like scoring. I remember thinking during the purple patch that we weren't actually playing that well, PNE comes to mind as a game that could easily have gone the other way so perhaps this is just a levelling up as we find our true position of upper mid table. What a depressing thought.

On a personal level, my little lad is really starting to get into football so we've gone to ewood a couple times in recent weeks and I've let him watch the first half of a few sky games but he's yet to see a goal! if it keeps going like this he'll end up wanting to watch someone else and to be fair, I can't blame him. I wonder how many other potential rovers have been lost over the last 10 years.

6 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Saddened to see the result even sadder that no one other than Khadra stepped forward to take the penalty🤬

season is gone in a flash in the back of another lost 3 points that’s fatal to our play off chances 

As soon as he picked the ball up I said to the lads he'd miss, wasn't much of a discussion who was taking it either, I assume they'd discussed it in training. He's got bursts of quality Khadra, but you can see why he's not getting a game for Brighton.

@arbitro mentions above that managers have worked Kaminski out, I think managers have worked Rovers out, kick the shit out of them at every opportunity. The leagues full of weak refs, the stuff going on off the ball last night was criminal.

Kaminski has been one of our best players this season and whilst he was certainly at fault for the goal, he's saved more points than he's given away.

Someone posted about our run to promotion under Kenny in 92, we lost a hat full down the home staright and stumbled over the playoff line, keep the faith.

21 March 1992 Charlton Athletic H 0–2 14,844  
28 March 1992 Barnsley A 1–2 13,346 Shearer
31 March 1992 Port Vale A 0–2 10,384  
11 April 1992 Watford A 1–2 10,552 Wegerle
14 April 1992 Wolverhampton Wanderers H 1–2 14,114 Sellars
18 April 1992 Leicester City H 0–1 18,075  
20 April 1992 Tranmere Rovers A 2–2 13,705
Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DE. said:

We all have different opinions and that's certainly fine. It wasn't all bad tonight, but honestly despite some nice play I never felt like we were going to score, and that's very concerning. Considering our current form and our lack of goalscorers we simply have to score penalties. If Khadra is the best we've got then that's a big worry. 

We really need to work on our set pieces too. They are simply awful, and when a team is struggling to score from open play set pieces become absolutely vital. 

And they did have 10 men! Seems to be an advantage against us!

Khadra shaped up all wrong for the penalty, too straight on. You need to be at a slight angle either to wrap your foot round the ball into the bottom left corner or place it to the right. I always side footed penalties, aiming for precision rather power.

Although he’s a confident lad and also loves taking free kicks Khadra didn’t look comfortable either. The senior players are to blame here, they have to put their hand up and take responsibility and that starts with the captain

• Like 1

Difference with ‘92 is that we had a some seriously quality players for this level who had just gone on a bad run. Always a chance we’d pick up form again, and we did, just in time.

This team doesn’t match up in comparison. And of course the play offs mean nothing in themselves anyway.

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Khadra shaped up all wrong for the penalty, too straight on. You need to be at a slight angle either to wrap your foot round the ball into the bottom left corner or place it to the right. I always side footed penalties, aiming for precision rather power.

Although he’s a confident lad and also loves taking free kicks Khadra didn’t look comfortable either. The senior players are to blame here, they have to put their hand up and take responsibility and that starts with the captain

It all boils down to not having any natural goalscoring options and for that Mowbray must take the blame. He’s had two windows to address it and freely admitted he didn’t think we needed to.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, booth said:

It all boils down to not having any natural goalscoring options and for that Mowbray must take the blame. He’s had two windows to address it and freely admitted he didn’t think we needed to.

He tried to sign Dembele and Obafemi didn't he? 

He was clearly priced out of both deals if memory serves me correctly?

Edited by Gav

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

He tried to sign Dembele and Obafemi didn't he? 

He was clearly priced out of both deals if memory serves me correctly?

Dembele isn’t a striker - he’s another winger/forward type that TM loves to stockpile.

You can’t honestly say that we’ve not made one massive balls up in not bringing in a true striker during January. It’s clearly costing us massively, and very likely will cost us a play-off space as outside of BBD and Dack not one of them can put the ball in the net. Other teams have brought in useful options, even during January, yet we just stood still despite the huge warning signs and having the full month to rectify things. It’s infuriating.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Whilst the keeper was up to his mind games Khadra was stood too straight but just before taking the kick he jigged to his left, destroying any plan he may of had and telegraphing, more or less, where the kick would go. To compound matters it went at a near perfect height to save.

We have a 5 million striker who is too shit scared to take a penalty. Words fail me.

Did any of our defenders get aerial when that corner came over and our keeper had a brain fade weak as a kitten punch at the ball. Defensively, as a unit, pathetic at the end. 

Like many I also knew the penalty would be missed and the Thugs score from that corner. When it happened all there was missing was any shocked surprise, which is a good thing and saved any PC damage at the end.

I still think we can finish 5th, based on our being a team of fair weather footballers and with an 'easier' run of games, allegedly, coming up and nicer weather on the horizon. Hell even Ayala might fancy a bit of a run about.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

On 19/02/2022 at 21:22, Darrenbot said:

If you could give 2 likes for a match Preview then this would be the one to give it to.Top notch preview there Herbie.

If we can win at an inform Sheff U on Wed with the run their on and with no goalscoring forward in our team and being on SKY which we never play well on,it'll go down as one of Mowbrays best wins with us.Teams all around us will keep dropping points so taking points off  another up with us  is doubly important.we just need to get out of this funk were in and 1 win could kickstart our season again however unlikely that'll be in Sheffield.

No complaints from rovers performance. My complaints come from the dirty sheffield ba---rds who came up with some horrific tackles for 90 minutes.

• Like 1