BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He'll surely leave. His stock will never be this high again IMO and he'll have every man and his dog in his ear telling him to cash in now. You could easily imagine a couple of PL teams / clubs on the continent paying him £50k+.

The other side of the coin is that in a year he is a free agent and any suitors wouldn't have to pay a fee for him. Any agent will tell you this is Manna from Heaven for them in getting an exceptional deal for their clients. It's a difficult one but my choice would be not to run the risk of this and try and sell him now but him and his representatives have all the aces here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I have a feeling this one might end in tears. As you rightly say he needs to be offered a deal that can keep him here for another couple of years (with caveats) straight away as if this goes beyond the Summer window and he hasn't signed his value will drop alarmingly. I worry about this 'wage structure' (which came to light last season) could really impede any negotiations and he walks for nothing next summer. My personal view is cash in now and don't run the risk of blowing a potential £20m sale especially when you consider we have already lost two (possibly three) players in similar circumstances.

I'd be absolutely amazed if we could get anywhere near a number that would entice him to stay. He knows any sort of move will 4x or more his pay. He also knows if he stays and gets injured or his goals dry up (as they did second half of last season) suddenly his opportunity for Prem footy goes too.

So he's gone, just a case of where. The club's after him will want to leave it late in the window and scare us to drop the price. We want to play the various clubs off one another to push the price up. Will run and run.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The other side of the coin is that in a year he is a free agent and any suitors wouldn't have to pay a fee for him. Any agent will tell you this is Manna from Heaven for them in getting an exceptional deal for their clients. It's a difficult one but my choice would be not to run the risk of this and try and sell him now but him and his representatives have all the aces here.

I suspect both he and his agent will want to strike while the iron is hot.

He runs the risk of having a mediocre season and doors closing on him.

• Like 2

Selling Dolan would be madness, he's one of our top young players., and while there is a risk he may not improve there is a decent chance he will. His contract is long enough for us to find out.

I'm sure a lot of people would have sold Brereton last summer for 3m or 4m (me included) but with young players it's always worth giving them a chance to improve if they seem to have the capability.

Incidentally at 19/20 Dolan has looked a lot more impressive Brereton did at that age. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Cantwell sounds like he could be like Bellamy who only really worked under Hughes, or a waster like Taarabt, who everyone raved about but really could not be bothered and fell out with everyone.

He’s another one who thought he had made at 20. Fancy sports cars etc. For every one who eventually gets it and pulls their career around there’s half a dozen who blow their careers. He had a chance to reset with the move to Bournemouth, what did he do there ? I wouldn’t go near him to be honest, especially if it means throwing our “ war chest “ at him.

3 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Snap hands off for 3m for Dolan, he seems like a great lad but he just can’t run.

If you’re looking at it like that Bryan Douglas “ couldn’t run “ either. There’s  the players who are quick over ten yards like Dougie, and that’s all he needed. The ball would be gone or he’d just beat the next man. Then there are those who are fast over forty to fifty yards like Donis. There aren’t many who could do both , Craig Bellamy is probably one of a few that springs to mind.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

If Dolan is so good why did Preston release him at 18?

I can guarantee I’ve seen more of Dolan than any scout. Dolan has a really impressive CV for a player of his age, there’s no doubt about that, but as you know full well Tyrone, someone of his size needs to be able to run.

3m for a lad we signed for free 2 years ago who hasn’t exactly set the world alight is great business, especially if we include a sell on clause to cover our back

Because they couldn't afford to keep him on due to them being incompetent 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I suspect both he and his agent will want to strike while the iron is hot.

He runs the risk of having a mediocre season and doors closing on him.

Yep. I’ve said before, but to date he’s a half season wonder. A poor season and end of contract or not, he won’t have the high profile interest he has now.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

We need that just to try and stand still with the players we have already lost and likely to lose.

I think that's all we need to go into the new season then add the 4 players I've mention to be part of the squad.

Also according to the LT, Adam Wharton, Jake Butty and Harry Leonard will go to the Portugal training camp. Good chance to impress there

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you’re looking at it like that Bryan Douglas “ couldn’t run “ either. There’s  the players who are quick over ten yards like Dougie, and that’s all he needed. The ball would be gone or he’d just beat the next man. Then there are those who are fast over forty to fifty yards like Donis. There aren’t many who could both , Craig Bellamy is probably one of a few that springs to mind.

I think that's right. The trouble for Dolan is that the players who are both very small & lack serious pace usually need to make up for that with serious ability. 

He has quick feet and all the time in the world to develop - I definitely wouldn't be looking to sell unless we get a silly offer - but he still has some way to go to be able to properly compensate for his lack of size for me. Having said that I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes under JDT. 

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

Read plenty on their fan sites so you're wrong there.

Nobody gave a toss until we picked him up. He slipped off like all the other released 18 year olds, I know lads released at the same time there was no significant clamour from the nobbers fans until we signed him....

I have a little bit of insight via lads who are still at the club and boys no longer there.

Edited by Sparks Rover

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Come on RV, thats doesn't mean anything.....the list of players wrongly released at 18/19yr is endless.

That was kind of my point. Clubs get things wrong, hence why the two Glasgow clubs looking at Dolan doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a good’un, contrary to what Tyrone was saying.

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Fair enough I just think he's classic been found out and not able to kick on. 

We need men, not little flicky boys.

I can see what you mean, but to take it to the extreme, that's like saying you'd pass on a young Messi over Emile Heskey. Dolan is 20, started like a house on fire and probably lost his way under the previous manager, who went from a fast, direct style of play to a general sense of confusion about formations, styles and so on. Dolan has time on his side to get back to being exciting.

Even Ronaldo was a little flicky boy doing 23 step overs instead of passing or shooting when he first went to Man Utd.

• Like 2

I'd definitely be looking to keep Brereton offer him a new contract 2 years with a rise on the promise that of someone comes in next summer he can go, I genuinely believe he will kick on next season too, yeah his goals dried up in second half of the season but I think he brings much more to the team than just goals, he commits defenders he also has a really good football brain and wins free kicks in dangerous positions. 

Even when people wanted rid of him the season before I thought he had a decent season and definitely had talent just lacked confidence. I think if he got a move to a prem club I think he'll excel I genuinely do. So for me try our best to keep him if he doesn't want to stay fair enough cash in but I think in 2/3 years we'll be looking at a good Premier league player.

Edited by KyleBRFC
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you’re looking at it like that Bryan Douglas “ couldn’t run “ either. There’s  the players who are quick over ten yards like Dougie, and that’s all he needed. The ball would be gone or he’d just beat the next man. Then there are those who are fast over forty to fifty yards like Donis. There aren’t many who could both , Craig Bellamy is probably one of a few that springs to mind.

I would argue that Dolan isn’t even quick over 10 yards. I’m too young to have seen Douglas but it seems like a good example, you need to be exceptional to make up for a lack of pace.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KyleBRFC said:

I'd definitely be looking to keep Brereton offer him a new contract 2 years with a rise on the promise that of someone comes in next summer he can go, I genuinely believe he will kick on next season too, yeah his goals dried up in second half of the season but I think he brings much more to the team than just goals, he commits defenders he also has a really good football brain and wins free kicks in dangerous positions. 

Even when people wanted rid of him the season before I thought he had a decent season and definitely had talent just lacked confidence. I think if he got a move to a prem club I think he'll excel I genuinely do. So for me try our best to keep him if he doesn't want to stay fair enough cash in but I think in 2/3 years we'll be looking at a good Premier league player.

I'd look to sell. 

Yes he had a fantastic season but we all know what he could become. 

Personally would take £20m and all JDT to bring his own flavour to the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I can see what you mean, but to take it to the extreme, that's like saying you'd pass on a young Messi over Emile Heskey. Dolan is 20, started like a house on fire and probably lost his way under the previous manager, who went from a fast, direct style of play to a general sense of confusion about formations, styles and so on. Dolan has time on his side to get back to being exciting.

Even Ronaldo was a little flicky boy doing 23 step overs instead of passing or shooting when he first went to Man Utd.

No, my eyes can see that Messi as a 20.year old is/was better than TD.

For me the lads been extremely lucky, and with circumstances just right he's taken advantage   my view is that he hasn't got the long term assets needed to be a footballer.  His pace is deceptively weak and I've not seen him have a good game since autumn 2021.

I don't think he lost his way under Mowbray, it seems the convenient excuse to make him a scapegoat for everything.

He has obviously got ability but he often allows games to pass him by from an attacking sense and you even look at some of the games when he does catch the eye, it is often through his energy and enthusiasm rather than creating or providing a goal threat, take QPR at home, he was really important in the win without ever looking like scoring or creating a goal.

He is only young so as a member of the squad he offers something for sure and any fee would likely be swallowed up anyway so it is most likely in our best interests to keep him. He needs to try and warrant a regular starting place first and foremost and go from there. He does clearly have raw attributes to build on but he needs to provide more of a goal threat and create more chances which hopefully will come with time, this season our best run came with Khadra and Brereton as the attacking threats, I think Dolan missed a few games with a knock if I remember correctly.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

No, my eyes can see that Messi as a 20.year old is/was better than TD.

For me the lads been extremely lucky, and with circumstances just right he's taken advantage   my view is that he hasn't got the long term assets needed to be a footballer.  His pace is deceptively weak and I've not seen him have a good game since autumn 2021.

All I can say is you don't like him because you didn't discover him!🤪

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

That was kind of my point. Clubs get things wrong, hence why the two Glasgow clubs looking at Dolan doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a good’un, contrary to what Tyrone was saying.

Forest were one of the clubs reputedly interested in Dolan. Now if you think the manager there doesn’t know a good player from a bad ‘un I beg to differ.

• Like 2