BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

also I am not sure how it would work with 2 left footed centre backs. 

It's always puzzled me this you don't hear any similar questions about two right footed centre backs. If they are quality centre backs does it matter?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ben Davies is a very good player at this level. I can't see it happening however, firstly because of his wage demands and also I am not sure how it would work with 2 left footed centre backs. Quality wise, he likely is as good as we could get. Would say a lot about our supposed intentions with expectations of £3m being spent on one centre back to loaning one in however.

I am not sure why it has become gospel that we paid loads for Poveda, ultimately none of us truly know but last summer was one where we had to wait and wait because we needed Prem teams to subsidise loans.

I do love how you describe someone who was performing consistently well enough at Championship level to earn a move to Liverpool, albeit in mitigating circumstances as "uninventive" yet go on to laud signings like Shane Long, Jeff Hendrick and Jay Fulton.

You also say that Shane Long guarantees 15+ goals, I can only presume that was tongue in cheek seeing as he has managed that once in his career, 11 seasons ago!

Never found myself in such agreement with you

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Why's that then?

They overspent and were sanctioned, yet despite that have survived, still have a decent looking squad, haven't slashed costs right back and are signing players.

Speaking of 'only frees and cheap loans' what are you expecting us to do? Spend money? Think you'll be disappointed if so.

For what its worth we might as well be under a transfer embargo. Could still sign cheap loans / nobody which is what we are going to do without an embargo.

But they don't have a decent looking squad. They don't have a senior left back. They're even shorter on midfielders than we are! They might've 'survived' so far in that they narrowly escaped going down last year, but they're going into this season as one of the favourites again with a weaker squad and left scraping the barrel for everyone else's rejects to try and make a decent fist of staying up. 

I don't expect that we'll exactly be splashing the cash, but if we're going to bring Davies in, then that already is an example of a player who Reading wouldn't be able to get anywhere near because of the sanctions they're operating under. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If the club is such a financial burden to them, maybe they should just sell?

Maybe this reigning in of costs and restructure will lead to that also considering they've got the training ground on their own books as well now.

Probably though it's just so it can sit quietly in the corner of the portfolio and carry on filtering profits, just in a more controlled fashion.

15 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Not sure of this is meant to be a joke or not, but they're literally only signing frees and cheap loans who nobody else wants on account of them being under a FFP induced transfer ban. 

I don't think you could pick a better example of what could go wrong if you try and cheat FFP and fail

He's had a good career, but he's not scored more than 10 league goals in a season for more than 10 years. He's not scored 15 in the last 6 years combined!

I think people should realise how stupid they sound, pining for a 35 year old striker on a free when there’s 7 weeks of a window still open. 

It’s a strange desperation to come every single day to lament our lack of activity, but then also criticise a potential rumour including a decent championship defender, as a waste / another loan.

What did people expect with a new manager? Time has to be afforded, and those suggesting that the new people have been lied too about funds, surely you need more than a month to come up with that assumption? 

How about we kick a few balls first?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Shane Long is 35 and hasn't scored 15 goals a season in over a decade, and has only scored 15 in total in the last 6 years.

At 35 you will do well to get 15 games out of Shane Long never mind goals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pomster said:

JDT and GB must of been told a right porky by the powers that be. Otherwise why would they come?

Money, a job, opening doors elsewhere etc.

Do a steady job here for a couple of seasons then move on ?   No idea what agenda they've been sold but maybe they were the ones saying we can do this job on a shoestring.

13 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Another pathetic reply Tomphil, where you confuse your petulance and overreaction for being mine, and standing by your flimsy argument, so I agree, I'll leave you to it and move on.

Blah blah blah.

Let it drop you're too far in your own opinion to grasp what i was saying anyway.  If you think Blackburn Rovers gate income alone is enough to sustain much other than mid table league 1 football then fair enough.

Let's hope we never find out.

Shane Long at 35 years old, no thank you 🤣

An extra striker could be handy, but we already have a natural bagger who (I believe) is going to be attracting offers of £10m+ this time next year... it's the year of the Vale!

Speaking of which, does anyone know a site where I can stick a few quid on Jack Vale to score 15+ goals this season? Would consider doing similar for Markanday too. SkyBet doesn't seem to have such options

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The stadium is falling apart and the pitch is a disgrace.

Those are both FFP exempt.

Yep can't argue with the lack of stadium maintenance. 

I am not sure why they don't spend on this, perhaps they are not asked, only want to spend on players or maybe they don't see point in maintenance and want to replace with new. I have no idea

2 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I think people should realise how stupid they sound, pining for a 35 year old striker on a free when there’s 7 weeks of a window still open. 

It’s a strange desperation to come every single day to lament our lack of activity, but then also criticise a potential rumour including a decent championship defender, as a waste / another loan.

What did people expect with a new manager? Time has to be afforded, and those suggesting that the new people have been lied too about funds, surely you need more than a month to come up with that assumption? 

How about we kick a few balls first?

I wouldn't go as far as to say people sound stupid - I think when players have had good careers, it's easy to miss how much their star might have fallen in a couple of years. I'm certainly guilty of it. I think it's pretty natural to cast some jealous glances when we need to get so much business done and there's no obvious sign of progress.

But yes, I agree that given the circumstances we have to see going for Davies as a good thing. I'd like to think that us taking on his full contract and a substantial loan fee (if that's actually what is going on) might be with the view to a permanent deal next summer, but even if it's not, I doubt that I'd swap him for anyone that will be on Reading's radar this summer!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Saying that Davies is on the bench for Liverpool in Thailand…if he’s coming it won’t be anytime soon.

303C6240-4285-46C3-9885-8B632A7DCE75.png

Nixon talking bollocks about him not travelling then? Although it does just appear to be the list of everyone else!

8 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Saying that Davies is on the bench for Liverpool in Thailand…if he’s coming it won’t be anytime soon.

303C6240-4285-46C3-9885-8B632A7DCE75.png

I don't think its the same one, I read the other day that he had been left out and I think there was a H.Davies on the squad list, presumably a kid.

Not that I suspect any deal is close by any means.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Blah blah blah.

Let it drop you're too far in your own opinion to grasp what i was saying anyway.  If you think Blackburn Rovers gate income alone is enough to sustain much other than mid table league 1 football then fair enough.

Let's hope we never find out.

Not even what I was saying, at any point of the discussion we had. I absolutely am letting it drop now, as I tried to in the last post, but here you are again. Keep it up if you want but I really am done, no more replies from me, you do what makes you feel best.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Money, a job, opening doors elsewhere etc.

Do a steady job here for a couple of seasons then move on ?   No idea what agenda they've been sold but maybe they were the ones saying we can do this job on a shoestring.

GB then yeah i could understand that because it’s a new role for him. But JDL i’m not so sure? why risk damaging your reputation.
JDL must of been promised or has been sold on an idea. If these are not kept he will walk at christmas or it will be the end of season if they’re not met

41 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

But yes, I agree that given the circumstances we have to see going for Davies as a good thing. I'd like to think that us taking on his full contract and a substantial loan fee (if that's actually what is going on) might be with the view to a permanent deal next summer, but even if it's not, I doubt that I'd swap him for anyone that will be on Reading's radar this summer!

There is no way Nixon is right about us taking on Ben Davies' full wages. He's on 60k a week at Liverpool.

https://empireofthekop.substack.com/p/eotk-insider-opinion-ben-davies-wages

• Like 3