BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Depends how we want to set up really. If we want to press from the back and play further up the pitch. Then they have to be able to play at least a bit and be able to run. That was the problem with the three at the back in last season. They were all fairly immobile, so had to sit deep to defend and head it away rather than play out or chase attackers. Not that thats a bad thing or there's anything wrong with that but it's all about how the new manager wants to play.

Edited by Danny O.Brien

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Shane Long is 35 years old and isn't a goalscorer. Do you really think he will score 15 goals this season?

Reading are signing players who was awful. Yes they have been sanction and can only pay 8k a week wages. 

Isn't the same has playing 2 right footed player at centre back tbh? 

I remember Barnsley doing it Liam Lindsay and Ethan Pinnock. 

Not saying it's ideal but if they are happy with it then fine. 

There is a reason why very few teams have central defensive partnerships of 2 left footers, it just tends to seem particularly imbalanced.

If they are happy with it? I don't think the issue is the potential willingness of them to do it.

Why would you willingly accept players that you personally concede aren't "ideal" for the role we need them to play? Why make do? Surely we should sign someone perfectly suited to what we want. Not settle with "not ideal but fine."

I don't see it happening, as we have said he is left footed, he seemingly would warrant a loan fee, his wages will be big, others teams are linked, I would be surprised.

He is a good player at this level but we need a right sided centre back either way so it would have to be as well as IMO.

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Maths not your strong point at school then? Half of 60 is 30 not 16.

Very optimistic to think we could sell two players for £30m each every year imo. And I also think that you only thrive on the pitch by keeping hold of your better players and building round them.

We competed perfectly well last season up until January then bad management and poor decision making on and off the pitch let us down. Thankfully football isn't an exact science corresponding precisely to revenue.

…sell one or two players (for a sum total) of £30m…

Edited by Paul Mani

3 minutes ago, neophox said:

Looks more likely Ben Davies would be our first signing this summer as the ideal replacement for Lenihan.

lets hope so,not much difference in ability between the two,ayala is far better than either,but it does`nt count for much if he`s injured for half a season does it,forget about lenihan,rothwell and nyambe,our biggest miss this season will be van hecke

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Have you never heard of leasing brand new audi or BMW like 50k car for fuck all lease payments?  You are just funding the depreciation on Liverpools books...if we bought someone permanent for 2m it would.not be as beneficial in terms of risk.  We know we would be getting a top notch player with BD...or you can spunk 2-3m on an unproven...up to you?

They can write a lot of a cost off against corporation tax , its classed as an operating lease....

Id take the better player as a supporter every fecking time

£2-3m spunked on the unproven, please. 

I'm sick of loaning in 5 players a season and having to rebuild the squad every offseason. 

• Like 5

Just caught up on the last few pages and, out of everything, I genuinely can’t my head around someone describing Shane Long as a 15+ goal striker.

😬

Edited by Andy
  • Like 6

Get Ben Davies in by the weekend, whatever it takes! We cant keep losing out to league rivals! The club needs to start showing some real intent as far as transfers go. 

He'd be an immediate improvement over Lenihan and a potential captain for years to come if we can get him in permanently in the future.

Berget would be a solid versatile addition to the squad and i think having a player on the pitch that knows what Tomasson wants will help a lot

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheRevAshton said:

Shane Long at 35 years old, no thank you 🤣

An extra striker could be handy, but we already have a natural bagger who (I believe) is going to be attracting offers of £10m+ this time next year... it's the year of the Vale!

Speaking of which, does anyone know a site where I can stick a few quid on Jack Vale to score 15+ goals this season? Would consider doing similar for Markanday too. SkyBet doesn't seem to have such options

Skybet got their fingers badly burned on BBD last season, they’ve changed their policy to no longer accept bets on Rovers players 🤑

26 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

I'd shake up the loan system. PL clubs hoard talent and make a mint loaning them out and then selling them on. I think if you loan a player under a certain age and they make a certain number of appearances for you then you should be entitled to a few % of any sale proceeds. Ludicrous that loaning players costs so much. 

The football pyramid is broken, sadly.

Look at Phillips - talk that Spurs are going to strong arm us and sign him on the cheap. Just to hoard the talent because he's 2-3 years away from every appearing in their first team (and that's IF he's as exceptional as they say he is). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There is a reason why very few teams have central defensive partnerships of 2 left footers, it just tends to seem particularly imbalanced.

If they are happy with it? I don't think the issue is the potential willingness of them to do it.

Why would you willingly accept players that you personally concede aren't "ideal" for the role we need them to play? Why make do? Surely we should sign someone perfectly suited to what we want. Not settle with "not ideal but fine."

I don't see it happening, as we have said he is left footed, he seemingly would warrant a loan fee, his wages will be big, others teams are linked, I would be surprised.

He is a good player at this level but we need a right sided centre back either way so it would have to be as well as IMO.

I think this is a bit of a non issue...

But out of curiosity really which of our other CBs are left footed? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, neophox said:

IF Davies comes it Will mean Rovers Will compete at the top. Top player good age as centre half.  Surely a leader too.

You’ve been coming out with some classics on here mate. This one’s up there… I rate Davies but come on, if we bring him in we still need 5 or 6 more signings. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, neophox said:

Think Rovers still wants Van Hecker or a replacement for him. Davies is Lenihans replacement.

as much as it pains me to say it,van hecke is`nt coming back,he`ll be in brightons first team this season,if the budget is as healthy as broughtons states,id`e be spending the lot on davies and birmancevic,the malmo midfielder,sure he`d rather play in england than be swanning around at the likes of elfsborg and helsingborgs

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Butty said:

You’ve been coming out with some classics on here mate. This one’s up there… I rate Davies but come on, if we bring him in we still need 5 or 6 more signings. 

I don't think he's far wrong! But a replacement for Nyambe would also be needed first, as for replacing Rothwell.... I personally think hedges will do that... As exciting as Rothwell could be when in full flow... I think Hedges (although a different type of player) would provide more assists, goals and consistency over a season. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

£2-3m spunked on the unproven, please. 

I'm sick of loaning in 5 players a season and having to rebuild the squad every offseason. 

So am I, but there is a  argument for a couple of good ones to compliment what you already have.  Unfortunately we don't have much already

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd have thought the £1m loan fee was pretty standard for a decent PL prospect.

All hinges on how much of their wage you have to stump up after that.

Personally I see it as completely dead money unless they get you promoted, rather like renting a house as opposed to having a mortgage. Should be used very sparingly for that one extra special player who could make all the difference.

Not as the cornerstone of your transfer policy.

I think you underestimate the practical consequences of the huge gulf in income between those clubs who have parachute payments and those like ourselves who do not. In each of the last 4 seasons 2 of the promoted clubs have been in receipt of parachute payments and only 1 has not. Those that have not had parachute payments typically make significant use of loanees.

Sheffield United used 7 loanees in total making 151 appearances, Leeds used 7 loanees making 168 appearances, and Forest used 6 loanees making 161 appearances - 5 of Forest's starting line up in the Play Off final were loanees. The exception were Brentford - they usually are the exception - who used just 3 loanees making 50 appearances. The reason is that without bringing in loanees clubs without parachute payments are not able to access players of the calibre required to win promotion. There is no way Forest's transfer budget last season would have enabled them to get players like Davis, Spence, Garner and Lowe.

Therefore I think we have to accept that we will have to make significant use of the loan system. The challenge is to do it well.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

as much as it pains me to say it,van hecke is`nt coming back,he`ll be in brightons first team this season,if the budget is as healthy as broughtons states,id`e be spending the lot on davies and birmancevic,the malmo midfielder,sure he`d rather play in england than be swanning around at the likes of elfsborg and helsingborgs

Agree on Van Hecke not returning, but why would you spunk the whole budget on two players (one of them just a loan) when we need 6+?