BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Davies would be a good start. An upgrade on Lenihan but a downgrade on Van Hecke. Still, I'd be happy with that signing overall. If if did come off, we'd still need:

- 1 Centre Half

- 2 full backs 

- 2 CMs 

- 1 striker

That would be a minimum, we probably need more. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Apparently we are being pushed to sign Davies on a perm.

I'd be much happier with that, but it depends on the wage.

https://twitter.com/RyanTaylorSport/status/1547183080791752704?t=PzfzK0G8S2lb2_Ia6FRVgA&s=19

If we can get in permanent then its a great piece of business for me. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I never said he hasn't spoke well, my point was that there isn't anything tangible to judge him on, no games played, no signings made. 

But even if we took an approach of trust blindly until he proves otherwise, no manager is perfect, hence my Pep comment, therefore you can surely question rumoured signings without losing total faith in the manager. You don't need to remove critical faculty, if you aren't sure about a certain aspect of a rumoured signing, then that's fine.

Well that's your way of thinking but I have very different opinion on him. 

It isn't blindly but based on a number of points which I posted to you. 

If you want question this and that, then fair enough, but other people will have different opinion like myself. 

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

What will be baffling, will be if we pay a fee and then we also give him a bigger contract than we offered Lenihan.

I would say to this that I see this is new era for the club with Gregg Broughton as DoF and Jon Dahl Tomasson as head coach. You suggestion him and I think he is breath of fresh air since joining, he has high standard, demands the best, he won;t settled for second best but as he has said this is project

3 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Davies would be a good start. An upgrade on Lenihan but a downgrade on Van Hecke. Still, I'd be happy with that signing overall. If if did come off, we'd still need:

- 1 Centre Half

- 2 full backs 

- 2 CMs 

- 1 striker

That would be a minimum, we probably need more. 

I think we need 1 right back, 1 centre back, 2 centre midlfielder, 1 left winger to replace Brereton and 1 striker. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

How on earth can you judge a football manager as doing a ‘good job’ (or bad job for that matter, obviously) when we haven’t played a single game?

Don’t be bloody daft!

Matty, if you disagree fine but I have said what I based my opinion so far on. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think we need 1 right back, 1 centre back, 2 centre midlfielder, 1 left winger to replace Brereton and 1 striker. 

Was literally just commenting this - I think we'll only need more than one CB if we lose Ayala.

With Wharton and Davies as our main pair we should be fine with Ayala (or a replacement if he goes), Carter and Phillips as backups.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Was literally just commenting this - I think we'll only need more than one CB if we lose Ayala.

With Wharton and Davies as our main pair we should be fine with Ayala (or a replacement if he goes), Carter and Phillips as backups.

Unless he wants to play 3 at that the back.If he does we need another starter to come in along with Davies(if that deal happens)

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think anyone can say JDT is doing a good job yet mate.

He's not managed a competitive game for us yet.

Also can't say whether he's gained players respect yet - cos none of us know him and are around the players 24/7

3 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

I know we have lost 2 CBs, but I agree we only need to sign 1...if we intend to play 2 at a time. If we plan to use a back 3 for even as much as a third of the season, I'd say we need 2. Carter seems a good bet for being ready, but we won't know until he's put to the test for a run of games. I don't think we can rely on Phillips yet (before anyone comes in arguing this, I'm saying rely on him, as in assume he would be fine to play 20 consecutive games if injuries and suspensions required it, I'm not saying we can't play him and see how he does...if it turns out he isn't ready and we end up short on CBs, it will be a problem, for us and him).

I feel if you play with 2 CBs you need 4 reliable ones for a season. If you play with 3 you need 5. In both cases you need players like Phillips as further cover and possibly breaking through.

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don’t agree or disagree, how could I possibly have an opinion of the job a football manager is doing before he’s managed a game?

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I don’t agree or disagree, how could I possibly have an opinion of the job a football manager is doing before he’s managed a game?

Correct.  Talk's cheap.  I think all fans have been impressed by JDTs public displays, but that's literally all they are - saying what he wants us to hear.  I have heard little rumours that the players were very impressed with the Portugal trip, which is encouraging. 

Ultimately won't mean anything if we've played 5, lost 5 and had a shocking window by the end of August. 

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 7

50 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Gotta say - that is a positive spin - on what I find a worrying situation 😁

It is just my attitude. I tend not to worry about things that haven't happened. If other people want to worry, then go ahead.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Butty said:

Does it matter if they weren’t our players? The point he’s making is we’ve lost 5 players from our Starting Eleven last season and haven’t yet replaced even one of them. Which is a bit of a disgrace. 

Of course whether they are our players or not matters. They would not be available for us this season, so they have no effect on this seasons starting eleven. If the talk is about last seasons team. Then we have lost 5 starters from a team who finished eighth and underperformed for much of the season. I believe we should not only replace the players who have left, but more importantly, improve on them. 

as a big fan of conspiracy theories,i reckon jdt has no intention of signing anybody and wants the job to be as challenging as possible,he`s already talked about the project,if he can get rovers to the middle of the table with this squad then he`s really achieved,thats what he`s aiming for,he`ll likely walk away when the "project" is complete,it won`t be much fun for the fans though😒

34 minutes ago, rigger said:

It is just my attitude. I tend not to worry about things that haven't happened. If other people want to worry, then go ahead.

It appears you're tending not to worry about things that HAVE happened as well... like 5 of our regular starters from last season leaving the club.  Loans not being relevant as you tried to suggest before is a nonsense, as is telling us Rothwell and Nyambe would have been bit-part... that's just a baseless comment. 

I appreciate people are trying to remain positive and patient, but I think it's important we stick to the facts as well.   

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, rigger said:

Of course whether they are our players or not matters. They would not be available for us this season, so they have no effect on this seasons starting eleven. If the talk is about last seasons team. Then we have lost 5 starters from a team who finished eighth and underperformed for much of the season. I believe we should not only replace the players who have left, but more importantly, improve on them. 

That's precisely what the talk was about when you asked Mercer to name them.  Then you tried to somehow argue that because they were loan players they shouldn't be considered as first team regulars 🤨

Regarding your comment, "They would not be available for us this season, so they have no effect on this seasons starting eleven"... I'm struggling to see how the 3 out of contract players have any effect on our starting 11 this season too.  

Improving on them is a different argument altogether, and there will probably come a time for that.  For now, let's all stick to facts.  We're 5 first team players down since we last played a competitive match.  If we want to be pedantic we could argue Markanday is practically a new addition. 

Edited by Jimmy612

49 minutes ago, rigger said:

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Amen to this!

Except that neither of you actually leave people to 'go ahead'.

20 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

It appears you're tending not to worry about things that HAVE happened as well... like 5 of our regular starters from last season leaving the club.  Loans not being relevant as you tried to suggest before is a nonsense, as is telling us Rothwell and Nyambe would have been bit-part... that's just a baseless comment. 

I appreciate people are trying to remain positive and patient, but I think it's important we stick to the facts as well.   

You can't do anything about things that have already happened. If the things that have happened are for the worse, then fix them.