BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

It's clear there is some money to spend on permanent deals 

It's all well and good the owners making money available for signings but it's relatively pointless if those on the ground at Ewood can't or won't get the deals over the line.

We've been here before in January and look how that turned out.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 2

• J*B changed the title to Summer 2022 Transfer Window - Back Panicking Again
41 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Carter will get found out this season. Celtic ran rings around him, which is understandable, but he wasn't exactly all that against Lincoln either. We need better back there.

Jota gave him nightmares against Celtic when he was playing RB.

Thankfully there aren't any players anywhere near Jota's quality in the Championship and Carter is now the backup RB.

Did Lincoln have a shot on target?

19 minutes ago, islander200 said:

In fairness you also said Brererton would end up in the lower leagues and Buckley would end up the same.

One player you were actually right on is Whiteman iv been impressed with him in the main, still tho Buckley did have him on a bit of string when we played them last season .

It's quite difficult to take someone seriously when they were consistently berating Buckley's performances after every game when he was one of/if not our best performers, particularly in the first half of last season.  All tangible and observable evidence showed how quality his performances were, but I guess it's hard for some to admit they're wrong and take a big chomp on that humble pie.

• Like 2

RE the conversation about wanting to get signings in before the season starts, its obvious the preference would be to have all business done before the first game,

but if you put yourself in GB's shoes, and for example, targets 1, 2 and 3 on the priority list are all on hold pending decisions from their clubs (i.e. JPVH), but targets 4 and 5 are both available immediately, what do you do? 

You'd like to think we'd hang on and get the right players for us for the long-term, even at the expense of them missing a handful of games at the start of the season. 

Important to wait until the end of the season to assess the window. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

some bloke on twitter who recently chatted with Mogga at Sunderland v hartlepool

image.png.d49d08627f92b0498f17dfe73751e3e3.png

How does what Mowbray claims about BBD tally with what GB said? It directly contradicts it.

FWIW I think Mowbray is talking bollux. There's money available but we still need to get the deals done.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's all well and good the owners making money available for signings but it's relatively pointless if those on the ground at Ewood can't or won't get the deals over the line.

We've been here before in January and look how that turned out.

In January we had a manager who was sulking and reportedly turned down a few players. 

JDT and Broughton will want players.Repeating myself but Brittain confirmed his deal was a couple of weeks in the making.Whose to say we ain't far along with others?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, unsall said:

You’re right, but some on here don’t want to know, like FFP doesn’t exist, it does and even though everyone wants new faces in, including me we just can’t pay wages we can’t afford with our revenue, we have to be smart, get players in but without paying massive wages.

Also we need quality players not just squad men, takes time when we are in our position and even though they are saying it’s a healthy budget we won’t be busting our wage structure, fingers crossed DOF can work some magic.

The agree new EFL rules are slightly different. From next season (not the one starting on Saturday, owners can fund £60m of losses over a 3 year period as long as injected as cash. Wages will be maxed at 90% of turnover reducing by 5% a season over 4 seasons to 70%.

All of the players we have been linked to so far are paid around £5k a week and signing them is comfortable within our wage budget of up to £15k. Our transfer budget does seem to be £9m or thereabouts and we can spend on 4 year deals so long as they don't break the wage budget and there is a logic of pushing through the deal for Styles, Brannagan and Bowler but it is difficult. 

Now in regard to Davis he was affordable for a 12 month loan but difficult for a 4 year deal at our turnover levels. 

With regard to BBD with his 12 month extension and being between 2 new regulations it doesn't make any difference to our FFP regulations if we sell him this summer or he leaves for free next May.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Considering how relentlessly negative you were about all things Mowbray, I’m surprised you refer to the new gaffer being any better as “a gamble” - you were chief dice-roller while Mowbray was here!

And thank god we have rolled the dice!. I can't think of many who'd be a worse choice than the previous incumbent.

You obviously didn't read or digest the meaning of my post properly. I said we're gambling on the new manager being something rather special (due to the lack of recruitment) .

However even if he only turns out to be ordinary that would imo still make him infinitely better than Mowbray. Two separate issues entirely.

3 minutes ago, phili said:

The agree new EFL rules are slightly different. From next season (not the one starting on Saturday, owners can fund £60m of losses over a 3 year period as long as injected as cash. Wages will be maxed at 90% of turnover reducing by 5% a season over 4 seasons to 70%.

All of the players we have been linked to so far are paid around £5k a week and signing them is comfortable within our wage budget of up to £15k. Our transfer budget does seem to be £9m or thereabouts and we can spend on 4 year deals so long as they don't break the wage budget and there is a logic of pushing through the deal for Styles, Brannagan and Bowler but it is difficult. 

Now in regard to Davis he was affordable for a 12 month loan but difficult for a 4 year deal at our turnover levels. 

With regard to BBD with his 12 month extension and being between 2 new regulations it doesn't make any difference to our FFP regulations if we sell him this summer or he leaves for free next May.

Thanks for that, so similar to the UEFA rules but a slightly longer adjustment period to get to 70%. What are we at now? I thought double that (140% - ish). It's still going to be difficult to get 70% wouldn't you say?

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

In January we had a manager who was sulking and reportedly turned down a few players. 

JDT and Broughton will want players.Repeating myself but Brittain confirmed his deal was a couple of weeks in the making.Whose to say we ain't far along with others?

We don't know we are, we don't know we aren't.

Irrelevant if they don't actually sign, and at this stage they haven't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

some bloke on twitter who recently chatted with Mogga at Sunderland v hartlepool

image.png.d49d08627f92b0498f17dfe73751e3e3.png

If true, I certainly won't miss this level of managerial unprofessionalism. Definitely felt it dragged the team down at times and allowed them to become complacent too often. The "everybody's a mate" approach was equally painful during a death spiral.

45 minutes ago, islander200 said:

In fairness you also said Brererton would end up in the lower leagues and Buckley would end up the same

Come on mate, we all thought he was shit in his first season....🤷‍♂️ he was.

I'm still yet to be convinced by JB , sorry. Hardly scores, hardly assists but maybe we will see a full season off him this time after his 4 months off from Jan to April.  Room for improvement. 

Seems you are more interested in BW than me going on all time.  You'll see, premier league that lad soon.

40 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I think Pickering was the one who was really given a torrid time against Celtic. Carter struggled too, but was clearly out of position. We can't be expecting him to replace Lenihan or Van Hecke with the same quality, but with two successful L1 loans I'm happy to have him as an option to see how he does. On paper, he has established himself at a higher level than Wharton before he took his chance.

Almost all of my knowledge of him is from the handful of Rovers appearances that he's made and second hand reports of him from his loans. I'm surprised that you mention his lack of comfort on the ball though. Without claiming that he's Beckenbauer, I thought the consensus was that he could play a bit for a player of his size?

He played v liverpools u23s last season at Leyland...🙈 it was embarrassing 

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We don't know we are, we don't know we aren't.

Irrelevant if they don't actually sign, and at this stage they haven't.

Yeah but the window is still open and we still have a team capable of winning matches at this level.

Surely the time to call out the club on the window is when it is over.Not guess we won't be bringing in any players because we haven't yet .

Most the names we been linked with recently Styles, Bowler , Brannigan, Van Hecke  and the lad from Peterborough haven't gone anywhere yet 

Edited by islander200

19 minutes ago, phili said:

Thanks for that. Makes a refreshing change from certain posters citing the wrong set of regulations in support of their view that we can't spend any money.

So what I'm gaining overall from that is that it would give the V's considerably more flexibility IF they decided they wanted to put more money in. Based on current allowable losses only being  £45m(?) over 3 years.

Is that correct?

Edit: Might even be back down to £39m currently now the pandemic is over. 

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, phili said:

So the Venkys could put actual cash into the club rather than as shares (a loan)?

That would indicate that they really may care about their “baby”.  

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

A load of tosh !

1. Fess up , yes he needs to come out and tell us where we are with new players to replace the ones he let go as DOF.

2. U23s from last season shouldn't be integral part of a promotion chasing champion side/squad, irrespective of my views on JB and TD

3. Carter is a Donkey and will struggle in a 3 which is JDT preferred formation.  Carter not quick enough or technical enough.

Not looking as much as you seem to be....with your personal attacks.

I'm a premier member so watch it laddie

Carter is a donkey, oh dear!!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, phili said:

Thanks for this. Do you have a link for the detail ?

Is "wages" the bill for all employees at the club, or just the players ? Are any players exempt, eg those under 21 ? Is it monitored in real time and what are the sanctions for failure to comply ? Does turnover include profits/losses on transfers ?

Looking at published accounts the last set of accounts to 2021 showed wages at £25.7m with the last set of accounts for a normal non COVID affected year to 2019 showing turnover of £16.7m which would have meant, with a 90% test, wages of £15m and, with a 70% test ,wages of £11.7m. Even if the owners could put in more money for transfers it's not going to be much help if the club are unable to buy more expensive players if their wages bust the limits.

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Thanks for that. Makes a refreshing change from certain posters citing the wrong set of regulations in support of their view that we can't spend any money.

So what I'm gaining overall from that is that it would give the V's considerably more flexibility IF they decided they wanted to put more money in. Based on current allowable losses only being  £45m(?) over 3 years.

Is that correct?

Edit: Might even be back down to £39m currently now the pandemic is over. 

Yep they can increase to £20m a season without needing to sell the rest of the training ground etc.

The issue will be the wage budget and keeping it under control or substantially increasing turnover in the next couple of years.

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Thanks for this. Do you have a link for the detail ?

Is "wages" the bill for all employees at the club, or just the players ? Are any players exempt, eg those under 21 ? Is it monitored in real time and what are the sanctions for failure to comply ? Does turnover include profits/losses on transfers ?

Looking at published accounts the last set of accounts to 2021 showed wages at £25.7m with the last set of accounts for a normal non COVID affected year to 2019 showing turnover of £16.7m which would have meant, with a 90% test, wages of £15m and, with a 70% test ,wages of £11.7m. Even if the owners could put in more money for transfers it's not going to be much help if the club are unable to buy more expensive players if their wages bust the limits.

The actual detail of this is still to be released, I would expect that to be in August/September for it to be made public.

Over the past 2 years the wage budget has been reduced substantially and after the departures I think we are probably now at around 75% and have a wage budget available of around £50k per week possibly more.

17 minutes ago, toogs said:

So the Venkys could put actual cash into the club rather than as shares (a loan)?

That would indicate that they really may care about their “baby”.  

It is just accounting of how the money comes in and doesn't really effect things too much.

Cash or Shares are really the same thing in this regard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You literally submit this post every day.

We get it, we lost 10 First XI players from last season's squad and have only brought in 1 new player (I'd argue that Markanday and Carter make that 3... and we'll see what we get out of Vale / Wharton / Garrett / Barnes / Burns / Leonard).

We're all aware of the situation. The negativity isn't helpful at all. This is a new regime under our dynamic duo.

You are correct that he does that every day. 

Yes we are all aware of the situation but some of us have faith we will sign players we want. 

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I can't understand why people are so relaxed about the prospect of going into the season so completely undercooked in terms of recruitment and risking making a complete horlicks of the first seven games!

We won't be so relaxed about it if we get off to a desperate start and end up going down narrowly by a point or two at the end of the season.

As JH says, we're gambling on the manager being a bit special and the kids doing well enough to keep us afloat. But if the manager does turn out to be special why not give him the tools to do the job and have us challenging anyway?

I'm relaxed Cos I know we will bring in quality players and this is one of the problem with the transfer market being slow and you want players that teams will only release when they sign players themselves. 

JDT will get the players we want by the end of the transfer window I am confident of that

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Time for Broughton to show us what he's made of and that he has more about him than Waggott/Mowbray/Venus.

When do players have to be registered by to be eligible for Saturday?

You begin to wonder how Clubs in the lower leagues with a budget a fraction of ours  ever manage to sign any players as we seem to find it a mystical art completely beyond us.

Maybe we want quality players who can fit into what JDT wants. We don't need squad fillers but players who make that difference. 

Just now, phili said:

The actual detail of this is still to be released, I would expect that to be in August/September for it to be made public.

Over the past 2 years the wage budget has been reduced substantially and after the departures I think we are probably now at around 75% and have a wage budget available of around £50k per week possibly more.

Thanks. When you say 75%, is that just players or everybody ? With income around £17m that would imply wages are in the region of £12.75m which is around half of 2 years ago. Have they come down that much ? (Does "wages" include employers NI which is now 15.05% so if included takes out just over 13% of the limit )