BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 hours ago, Roboftherovers82 said:

totally agree this witch hunt against dack is insane people quickly forget how good he was when he was fully fit 

Is it a witch hunt? Nobody on here picks the team and we all would be delighted if/when he returned to his best form surely?

Its been 2 long years without much from him so people are naturally doubtful.

Must be very frustrating for him and I suppose that's going to show from time to time. 

When people are takling about Sammie Szmodics I think people are ignoring GB´s comments:
"When he was played centrally for the final 10 Championship games of last season, we saw Sammie recreate his form from League one, with four goals and an assist, along with both the creative and psychical metrics of an attacking midfielder who will add a different dimension to the group"

I think he can be played up top as striker - ala Bellamy 

• Like 1

Assuming best case scenario happens on incomings, would surely be the best back 5 in the champ?

Kaminski

Brittain                    Van Hecke                   Ayala                   Styles

• Like 4

The reiterated message throughout the window so far has been (often based on an illogical quality v speed debate) that we must wait to ensure that we get players that don't just fill out the squad and instead sign first team starters.

The question is, do we think so far that we are starting to do that?

I am not so sure obviously acknowledging that we are just judging on the individuals prior to joining. Brittain for example is a sure fire starter but we had no Championship standard right backs left at the club, but either way, we have signed a guaranteed starter. Morton on the other hand I suspect wouldn't start if everyone was fit. Szmodics is in between, I think if everyone is fit, anyone will struggle to displace Dack so again it might be a case of finding a role for Szmodics around that.

Lets see how we replace Van Hecke and Lenihan, a huge ask, and then potentially Brereton.

So much rests on the goalscoring front, we can talk about pressing and flexibility until we are blue in the face but we need a regular source of goals. Either here or elsewhere, the likes of Gallagher, Dolan, Hedges and Szmodics have proven that they can chip in with single figures but if any gets double figures, it would be a step up for them. Expecting them (and Markanday and Vale who are less proven) to all share that goalscoring mantle would be unrealistic.

So that leaves 2 potential sources. Brereton will go and it is of critical importance that we sign a proper striker that can get us a reasonable tally of goals. Also a lot is dependant on Dack and whether he returns to a good level.

If either/both of the above are sorted then having lots of energetic, pressing options chipping in beside that could get us plenty of goals. Expecting them to take on the mantle without a fit Dack and/or a Brereton replacement could lead to struggles.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's about the Blackburn Rovers not Dack firstly and if Dack can't play the way JDT wants his team to play then he got 2 options, first option is learn and adapt to how JDT wants the team to play or second option he can leave Rovers. 

Lots of assumptions that Dack cannot fit the way that you have suggested that Tomasson wants to play. Is this based on Paul Mani who also said that Ayala (potential man of the match on Saturday) was really struggling too? Just a case of chinese whispers. Is this based on Dack not coming on during Saturdays game, when we was already winning, and potentially having a bit of a sulk because he wants to play? Seems like the general "Dack is finished" narrative that is being written at the moment is very premature. Why are you so keen to downplay the potential suitability for Dack in our team?

Prior to his injury, I would definitely suggest that he could play in a pressing team, it wasn't Dack's shortcomings that led to us playing direct, it was elsewhere in the team. It's all about how well he has recovered.

But never lose focus of the fact that the most important thing for a player in his position is goals and assists! Even if pressing is not his main talent, we have lots of energy in the final third but how much composure? Surely they can compliment

30 minutes ago, neophox said:

If Im not wrong....JDT would like to have four attackers to sub with his three attackers if things dont pan out and bring on fresh legs for the last 20 mins to stretch sides.... remember we can sub 5 players this season:

1st 70 mins attack:

Breo, Sammie, Gally

Dack

Last 20 mins attack:

Dolan, Vale, Markandy

Hedges

If we needed a goal and made those 4 changes, we would be mad.

28 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

People were crying out for signings and now we're starting to make them, people still aren't happy 😂. This is football. The manager and director of football live by their results which is obviously influenced by the signings they make. Especially if they're backed. Mowbray would've stuck by dack irregardless. I think he can still have a part to play. But if he doesn't fit the style the manager wants to play then there's not much more can he done.

At the end of the day it's jdt's reputation and job on the line. Both Sammie and Brittain although from league one clubs. They are arguably good enough for this league. They shone in poor teams, so let's hope they do even better in a decent championship team. 

I think Saturday showed the difference in quality between the championship and the teams we played in friendlies. Vale had a great pre season and struggled. I'm not saying players like him, Wharton or any of the other young lads can't have a part to play. Especially with the five subs, if the manager chooses to use them. But I think people are getting far too carried away, to think they are good enough to carry this club.l through the season.

Its a nonsense argument. Just because people wanted signings in prior to the season, that removes their right to be critical when appropriate of any doubts they may have about the individuals that have signed?

If anything, a regular argument for those defending an up to now lack of recruitment has been that we want the right players, as if anyone suggested otherwise! But surely those people more than anyone would be critical of any new signings, considering they for weeks and weeks proclaimed that only improvements to the first team would be required?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 47er said:

Is it a witch hunt? Nobody on here picks the team and we all would be delighted if/when he returned to his best form surely?

Its been 2 long years without much from him so people are naturally doubtful.

Must be very frustrating for him and I suppose that's going to show from time to time. 

Yeah, I think this is fair enough. I do think some of the comments are in danger of forgetting the sort of player he was prior to his injury. He was never lazy in a million years for instance, quite the opposite actually. You couldn't miss his enthusiasm for the game and he'd often end up trying to chase down defenders when he didn't have much hope of catching them. He was never the most athletic I suppose, but it wasn't as much of a weakness as all that. 

Hopefully it's just a case of him having to be a bit more patient than he would ideally like. He'll certainly get chances to show what he can do with our squad being as it is.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Yeah, I think this is fair enough. I do think some of the comments are in danger of forgetting the sort of player he was prior to his injury. He was never lazy in a million years for instance, quite the opposite actually. You couldn't miss his enthusiasm for the game and he'd often end up trying to chase down defenders when he didn't have much hope of catching them. He was never the most athletic I suppose, but it wasn't as much of a weakness as all that. 

Hopefully it's just a case of him having to be a bit more patient than he would ideally like. He'll certainly get chances to show what he can do with our squad being as it is.

I agree with this he wasn't the quickest but he was always full of energy and worked hard. Also for a guy who was theoretically an AM his back to goal hold up and link up game is as good as any decent striker. Very strong.

But two ACLs means he isn't going to be running around. Just the way it is. Not his fault, not our fault.

Sammie coming in does indicate Dack is going to be a cameo player.

Doubt he's going anywhere though as not one will pay him the same wage as we are atm.

• Like 3

A centre back should be the priority now, if Ayala or Wharton pick up an injury we are goosed.

If we are really interested in Styles and Bowler then I wouldn't expect those deals to be completed until toward the end of the window.With all due respect to us we haven't made the playoffs since being down here and both players will be wanting to see who comes in for them before committing to a deal with us imo.Especially Bowler who had firm interest from both Bournemouth and Forest last season 

Posh fans say the biggest redeeming quality of Szmodics is his workrate - will run all day apparently and work hard. Obviously that will suit how JDT wants to play - is it something that also means Dack has his work cut out if he wants to feature? They also feel that he could flourish with a better quality team around him. I am interested to see how he does. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I agree with this he wasn't the quickest but he was always full of energy and worked hard. Also for a guy who was theoretically an AM his back to goal hold up and link up game is as good as any decent striker. Very strong.

But two ACLs means he isn't going to be running around. Just the way it is. Not his fault, not our fault.

Sammie coming in does indicate Dack is going to be a cameo player.

Doubt he's going anywhere though as not one will pay him the same wage as we are atm.

The highlighted bit is the thing that remains to be seen for me. If Sammie doesn't cut the mustard and we have a player of Dack's quality on the bench, it'll take a strong manger to stick to his guns (which, to be fair, he still might do). Equally, if Dack does 90 mins in the league cup, puts a shift in and shows what he can do, then that might be the start of JDT becoming more confident that Dack has something to offer in this system.

100% agree with the rest of your post, and Dack will obviously have to prove that he is still physically capable of playing at this level, which also remains to be seen. 

As an aside, whilst it was clear to see from Saturday that pressing as a team is something that JDT wants us to do, I don't think it looked streets away from how we've pressed (at times) under Mowbray. Maybe it'll get more intense as time goes on, but we've definitely seen teams that commit to pressing more than we appeared to. A pre-injury Dack could've played in that team without any issue whatsoever, although I accept that might not be the case for post-injury Dack!

56 minutes ago, Jaybes said:

Assuming best case scenario happens on incomings, would surely be the best back 5 in the champ?

Kaminski

Brittain                    Van Hecke                   Ayala                   Styles

Probably a bit leaky in that formation. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jaybes said:

Kaminski

Is Kaminski playing the drum in the JW during the second half? 

Edited by BRFC_Polky
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Jaybes said:

Kaminski

Oh I think our Coyle era back 5 could give them a run for their money

Steele

Lowe   Greer   Ward   Henley

😁

• Like 1