BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

And you got to accept that some of that money has to go on paying the debt off each season. That has we become more self sustainable and less reliant on their money. 

The Armstrong money went towards fill the hole in the FFP allowing us this season to invest in the squad. Plus Mowbray had 5 million to spend in January and didn't 

You clearly aren't reading what I am putting.

I would totally understand signing players, selling at a profit, reinvesting some of the money, pocketing the rest and continuing but it has to be continuous.

As it is, sometimes no money at all is spent following a big sale/big sales, including last summer, sometimes money is made available to spend fairly randomly and sometimes the sale of assets at considerable profits is blocked by Venkys. Such random and variable actions is not going to lead to the sort of model ie Brentford that people both on here and even people within the club have compared to in the past.

4 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I can't understand why the club didn't get Reda Khadra back in, assuming he was available, affordable and/or didn't turn us down. Perhaps, they see Dolan and Hedges as ample cover but with Brereton Diaz expected to move on, he would've been a safe bet to get goals and assists, to support any new signing.

Khadra was one of the drivers of our run last year. He helped make Buckley impress as a no.I0 by offering direct running and options, even if his output tailed off. Gallagher returning from injury and to the wing cut off that outlet to some extent.

If Dolan does step up, maybe, that'll explain it.

Have you thought that JDT did not see Khadra fitting into the system that JDT wants us to play. So did not go for him. I am not saying that is true, but it is something to think about.

I think people can probably park the shouts for a new LB for now. I don't disagree with the sentiment but having Pickering & Edun in that position, yet basically no CBs, means it just isn't a priority position at the moment. 

Get these CBs in and another forward and we'll be looking good until January hopefully.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If BBD goes it will be because he is considered good enough to play Premier League football ; replacing a player of that level will be very difficult for a Championship club.

Like for like, yes.

Replacing him with two players who are better than Dolan / Hedges / Markanday et al, not so much.

It's a squad game, if the money is reinvested properly we'd be better for it.

18 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Surely we do what we think gives us the best chance of promotion ?

A 17 year old with 1 appearance isn't firing us to Promotion.

He only made his debut the other day because Carter and Barnes were injured.

When other defenders are signed he won't be starting this season  wether he signs a new deal or not 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

On the BBD transfer, didn't @glen9mullansay that Waggott had said the owners have a figure in mind that they will sell for,  but if it's not met they are happy for him to finish the season here and would be prepared to let him  go on a free next summer?

If so, what's the magical figure?

Apologies if I've dreamt all this!

You'll know if someone offers it.

1 minute ago, Tricky said:

Maybe should look into loaning him back for the rest of the season, he's not going to see more than the bench at Spurs for a while. 

As much as we're going through a crisis there now, we're obviously looking to bring at least one defender in, and in a fortnight will have Wharton and Carter back. 

That would put Phillips as at best fourth choice, and that's only if you put him ahead of Carter, which given that he is still our player, we definitely shouldn't do in my opinion.

If he goes, get the best deal that we can and let him go for me. 

If Phillips decides to leave i wish him and his family the best of luck!

I’d like him to stay and get himself established in the 1st team first before he leaves, he’l be more experienced, a little older and a little wiser to the big nasty world out their.

But either way good luck to the lad

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

A 17 year old with 1 appearance isn't firing us to Promotion.

He only made his debut the other day because Carter and Barnes were injured.

When other defenders are signed he won't be starting this season  wether he signs a new deal or not 

That is a decision that is down to the manager, not based on some edict driven by feelings of revenge.

31 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He owes us nothing? We found him, raised him and built him. If he owes us nothing, we certainly owe him even less.

I would argue his mother raised him...But that is the reality of football are you telling you would turn down millions and setting up your family for life and stay in your current job position?

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

As much as we're going through a crisis there now, we're obviously looking to bring at least one defender in, and in a fortnight will have Wharton and Carter back. 

That would put Phillips as at best fourth choice, and that's only if you put him ahead of Carter, which given that he is still our player, we definitely shouldn't do in my opinion.

But why let him go now ? At least wait until the January window. I can't see his valuation falling and if other clubs are getting involved it might rise considerably.

6 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

That is a decision that is down to the manager, not based on some edict driven by feelings of revenge.

I said in my initial post that I bear no ill will toward Philips if he moves.

Me not wanting him to return on loan has nothing to do with revenge just don't want us developing a 17 year old for Spurs.

When Barnes was fit ,the manager decided he would be in the squad and not Phillips.

He was only in the first team the other day due to injuries and our failure to sign any central defenders 

I find the Lancashire Telegraph article a bit worrying assuming it is true, that we are after 2 centre backs and a forward which itself is potentially dependant on a Brereton sale. Not enough. It could potentially be 2 defenders and a striker in, with Phillips out, Carter loaned out and Brereton out.

Our first 11 plus 3 or 4 of the subs when all fit are very competitive, beyond that the gap is too big, Can we expect an equal deputy to Kaminski, Brittain, Pickering, Travis or Brereton should they be unavailable, clearly not, but the gap between them and the next player is too vast and if any are out for a period of time, we could struggle in their absence.

Pears is blatantly not a capable deputy. If we sign 2 CB's, we will look strong there, but Rankin Costello and Edun are not able to step in without being real weaknesses unfortunately. In midfield, if Buckley missed out then maybe Morton would come in so less of a worry, but we have no other senior options who could provide that maturity and tenacity if Travis missed out. Also if Gallagher who himself is average missed out, is Vale up to a regular run? A big unknown.

Regarding Phillips, I can totally understand if he chooses to join Spurs, a massive pay rise, a huge club and excellent facilities. We should not break our wage structure regardless of his clearly massive potential which he may or may not fulfill.

With his immediate future, the comparison between Brereton and Phillips' couldn't be more stark and the former is far more of a worry. Phillips is only playing because we have 2 defensive injuries and we have been unable to get in the defenders we seemingly want, if most of them are fit he doesn't make the squad. He has only played an hour of senior football, at his age of development there are questions over his durability playing games in quick succession and for all of his potential, we don't know if he could cope with the level at this stage either. I wouldn't want him back on loan because if he was a talent at a big club already, we would dismiss the idea because he is so young and untested. I would rather he left soon rather than next summer if he unfortunately goes as we get no benefit from having such a player around this season considering his place in the pecking order.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

On the right terms which for me would be no wage contribution from our end I would happily take him as 5th choice. It's a team game and a highly rated defender on a loan while pocketing a few million in the process is a deal that is too good to pass up if we feel the best thing to do is sell him now instead of waiting for a tribunal to decide a fee.

13 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Big blow to lose Phillips. No point playing him from now on. 

Necessity tonight and continue as long as he has the temperament for it not to affect performance. Should it go to tribunal to set the fee, more appearances will support our claim for a larger fee

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rebelmswar said:

So this is how Southhamptom felt in the early 90's

Were Southampton losing players for well below their true value (or free in some cases)? Or did they sell a player for a very fair British transfer record fee?

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

I would argue his mother raised him...But that is the reality of football are you telling you would turn down millions and setting up your family for life and stay in your current job position?

He's not staying in his current position though, is he.

They're trying to get him tied down to a professional contract which would be significantly more than his current scholarship contract.

Clearly you subscribe to the "look after #1 and f' everyone else" mindset though. 

My two pennies…

I am disappointed in Phillips, people saying that you don’t blame him…we have nurtured and developed him for how many years? We have given him a first team shot, we have taken care of him and for him not to show us any loyalty aged 17 is frankly disgusting on his part.

Sign a three year deal, if you back yourself then you will be in the first 11 with us and a pl team will sign you up. Realistically what happens now? He signs for Spurs and what plays for the first team? No he will play reserve football or get loaned out, is it not better to do that with us?

If we can get a few million and a healthy sell on, get rid now. I do have a feeling that he will sign for Spurs and then stay with us for the season. Unlike a few on here I would keep him, why cut off your nose to spite your face?

• Like 3