BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Phillips is clearly a player with enormous potential but I wonder when the last time that a player with 60 minutes of League experience potentially leaving would seemingly cause so much anger, not that I am necessarily saying that it is misplaced.

Just now, imy9 said:

My two pennies…

I am disappointed in Phillips, people saying that you don’t blame him…we have nurtured and developed him for how many years? We have given him a first team shot, we have taken care of him and for him not to show us any loyalty aged 17 is frankly disgusting on his part.

Sign a three year deal, if you back yourself then you will be in the first 11 with us and a pl team will sign you up. Realistically what happens now? He signs for Spurs and what plays for the first team? No he will play reserve football or get loaned out, is it not better to do that with us?

If we can get a few million and a healthy sell on, get rid now. I do have a feeling that he will sign for Spurs and then stay with us for the season. Unlike a few on here I would keep him, why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Would he be in the squad assuming we bring a couple in and with Wharton fit again?

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Were Southampton losing players for well below their true value (or free in some cases)? Or did they sell a player for a very fair British transfer record fee?

Yes but it feels everytime we get some traction our best player takes off. I understand the game but it seems that our academy is a nursery for other teams to come browse and buy the best flowers at a discount.

11 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

I would argue his mother raised him...But that is the reality of football are you telling you would turn down millions and setting up your family for life and stay in your current job position?

Raised him as a footballer, obviously. I doubt Mrs Phillips' football coaching credentials. His family shouldn't be nagging him to set them up for life as has been suggested, that's their problem. If he chooses to share it that's up to him.

As others said, it's not his current job position, he's essentially being offered a significant promotion and wage rise already. I'd be surprised if we're not offering him at least 5k p/w, which over a 4 year deal is a million quid. Plus any loyalty bonus. Plus if he's half the player everyone thinks he is, he will get a big move, multimillions and set his family up for life anyway. Yes, in his position, I'd strongly consider staying put where I can continue developing, for still very good money, rather than risk vanishing into the Spurs player graveyard as many, many others have, for a short-term bonanza that could look like peanuts to him in 10 years.

Whilst I don't want to lose either Brereton Diaz or Phillips both have been linked with moves away all summer. In some respects this is what we've been hoping wouldn't happen, but predictably it looks like it will.

What encourages me more than those two players however is the club at large. In Broughton/Tomasson and the new head of recruitment Williams, we have a structure in place and the beginning of what (JDT famously calls 'project') looks like an exciting chapter. 

Brentford and Brighton being the two clubs everyone (outside of the top 4) is trying to model themselves on. Both have lost massive players in Eriksen, Cucurella, Bissouma etc. Yet both have an identity of the club, over the players.

Rovers should be looking to reach this level, players will always come and go. The structure, the youth progression, the overall plan is whats most important.

I do believe Tomasson/Broughton/Williams are our strongest assets at the moment. 

Yes more time enjoying the rise of Ashley Phillips would have been nice, but good luck to the lad if he goes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rebelmswar said:

Yes but it feels everytime we get some traction our best player takes off. I understand the game but it seems that our academy is a nursery for other teams to come browse and buy the best flowers at a discount.

You mean Rovers, right? I agree, my point was it's much worse than Southampton's situation in the 90s that you compared it to.

Just now, rog of the rovers said:

Whilst I don't want to lose either Brereton Diaz or Phillips both have been linked with moves away all summer. In some respects this is what we've been hoping wouldn't happen, but predictably it looks like it will.

What encourages me more than those two players however is the club at large. In Broughton/Tomasson and the new head of recruitment Williams, we have a structure in place and the beginning of what (JDT famously calls 'project') looks like an exciting chapter. 

Brentford and Brighton being the two clubs everyone (outside of the top 4) is trying to model themselves on. Both have lost massive players in Eriksen, Cucurella, Bissouma etc. Yet both have an identity of the club, over the players.

Rovers should be looking to reach this level, players will always come and go. The structure, the youth progression, the overall plan is whats most important.

I do believe Tomasson/Broughton/Williams are our strongest assets at the moment. 

Yes more time enjoying the rise of Ashley Phillips would have been nice, but good luck to the lad if he goes. 

The problem is Venkys unfortunately and whilst they are having summers where they allow no reinvestment of a big sale/sales whatsoever or are stubbornly refusing to sell players at a profit who will otherwise leave for free, we can never be comparable.

It should be steady, it should be continuous, a case of buying, developing, selling at a profit, reinvesting some, pocketing some to balance the books and somewhat self-sustain, continuing the process.

13 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

On the right terms which for me would be no wage contribution from our end I would happily take him as 5th choice. It's a team game and a highly rated defender on a loan while pocketing a few million in the process is a deal that is too good to pass up if we feel the best thing to do is sell him now instead of waiting for a tribunal to decide a fee.

Spurs aren't going to invest in him then see him sat here as 5th choice they'll want him playing somewhere.

Probably in their youth set up so they can nurture him themselves into their way.

I'm not going to get in a fluster about a youth prospect. Of course I'd like to keep him but it is what it is. For once I don't think Rovers can be criticised or blamed for the situation if he's getting attention from PL clubs who can obviously offer him a lot more than we can.

He's not in indispensible team member - he's a kid who might well turn out to be a good un but is only anywhere near our first team as a result of incompetence and negligent management running up to this summer whereby we haven't recruited properly in that position and are now turning to kids to fill in.

I have two far greater concerns - the loss of multi-million assets this summer for nothing, players who had developed and were worth millions, and the lack of signings, which is very alarming.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would he accept if he can get that bigger pay rise and move up the ladder sooner?

Because hes guaranteed football here rather than rot in spurs reserves.  In 3 years he could attract the likes of Liverpool City bars real Madrid etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would he accept if he can get that bigger pay rise and move up the ladder sooner?

I know I've said it a bunch of times, but I still don't believe Spurs pay their u23s significantly more than our first team. 

If we want to pay him as a first team player I think we can compete with Spurs. It comes down to do we see him as someone who will start for the first team regularly, and pay him commensurately, or not imo.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I said in my initial post that I bear no ill will toward Philips if he moves.

Me not wanting him to return on loan has nothing to do with revenge just don't want us developing a 17 year old for Spurs.

When Barnes was fit ,the manager decided he would be in the squad and not Phillips.

He was only in the first team the other day due to injuries and our failure to sign any central defenders 

Yet we developed a 17 year old for Liverpool. Surely we do what we think will lead to the best results on the pitch - which this season might mean promotion.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Spurs aren't going to invest in him then see him sat here as 5th choice they'll want him playing somewhere.

Probably in their youth set up so they can nurture him themselves into their way.

That's your way of looking at it. They could be looking at it he is 17, settled in the area/club and around the first team with coaches who are familiar with him. With no upheaval in his circumstances and getting some championship minutes come the end of the season he is 18 and prepared for the changes that are to come.

5 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yet we developed a 17 year old for Liverpool. Surely we do what we think will lead to the best results on the pitch - which this season might mean promotion.

When we had defenders fit the Phillips wasn't in the match day squad.

Add that to the fact we are in the market for 2 centre halves that suggests to me the MANAGER doesn't feel Phillips is quite ready to play a pivotal role this season.

Wouldnt you agree?

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm not going to get in a fluster about a youth prospect. Of course I'd like to keep him but it is what it is. For once I don't think Rovers can be criticised or blamed for the situation if he's getting attention from PL clubs who can obviously offer him a lot more than we can.

He's not in indispensible team member - he's a kid who might well turn out to be a good un but is only anywhere near our first team as a result of incompetence and negligent management running up to this summer whereby we haven't recruited properly in that position and are now turning to kids to fill in.

I have two far greater concerns - the loss of multi-million assets this summer for nothing, players who had developed and were worth millions, and the lack of signings, which is very alarming.

You should be, our Academy is our biggest advantage in this league.

The only Cat 1 Academy outside the PL I believe - currently have 9 (I think?) Academy graduates in the first team squad and obviously just saw 2 Academy graduates leave after putting in hundreds of appearances for us.

Its our life blood.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, eire3382 said:

Look what we got shearer for. They were robbed

It was a British transfer record fee and very fair at the time. The money in the game in general accelerated afterwards, and he fulfilled his potential, that's why he went on to be worth 5 times that. They weren't robbed in the very slightest sense whatsoever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

When we had defenders fit the Phillips wasn't in the match day squad.

Add that to the fact we are in the market for 2 centre halves that suggests to me the MANAGER doesn't feel Phillips is quite ready to play a pivotal role this season.

Wouldnt you agree?

I don't know if we are in the market for 2 centre halves. We seem to be after one on loan from Liverpool. I will trust the manager to make the best decision based on what is right for the club - but I can't agree to people demanding he doesn't pick a player simply to screw the player and his advisors or Spurs.