BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

I said it a couple of weeks back and I stand by it, as I have seen nothing to change my mind. Broughton is a dud. I think those pinning their hopes on him bringing in 'quality' to the club in the next two weeks are going to be left disappointed.

He wouldn't know a quality player if one was under his nose, IMO. Szmodics? Fry and Peterborough are probably still laughing their backsides off at what a good deal they managed to pull off. A poor, lightweight signing, who is nowhere near Dack's class. If this is the guy that is tasked with bringing players in, it doesn't look promising, in my view.

An Academy man who is spinning plates and learning on the job as DoF. A DoF on whom the pressure is growing as our need for signings increases by the day and the deadline draws nearer. Him choosing not to speak to the press until after the window closes is a sign of the pressure getting to him, in my view.

IMO, he has neither the nous nor what is required to bring quality players to this football club. Why are signings taking an age? Why are we dithering over SVB when we urgently need defenders? Move on, our need is urgent. Or is a loan the best that can be done? This isn't down to Venky's or the middleman this time, IMO, this is down to operators who aren't up to the task. Just like those at United, who can't see deals through.

He would be gone tomorrow morning, if it was up to me, for our squad being in this state with the season underway, and with us needing 6 signings in such a short timeframe.

Two lads from L1, one who was already a club target under the previous setup, and a cheap loan from Liverpool. There is nothing there so far to suggest that he can carry out this overhaul or that he has bought something new to the table.

JDT has to continually bat away questions about signings and you can see him getting fed up with it. Some are seeing it now for what it is, others probably will in a couple of weeks time when we're still short of players and the hard luck stories are being put out in the press.

Fully behind JDT, a winner, a serious manager and a breath of fresh air. If only he had savvy operators above him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Minimum 4 signings needed for me. 2x cb’s, a cm and a forward.

If / When we sell BBD I think we need another 2 forwards to cover his loss.

Svdb - CB loan

JPvH - CB Perm £4m

Styles - CM/LWB Perm £1m

Bowler - Forward Perm £3m

In event of BBD sale…

Birmencevic - Forward Perm £6m

Rhys Healey - Forward Perm £3m

Regardless of whether Diaz stays or goes, we are not going to spend 17 million on transfer fees to go on top of the 3/4 we’ve already spent pal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

2 centre backs cos Van Der Berg can play right back so cover both positions and a starting centre back. Bring in another centre back. 

We need a striker that will press the ball and score goals I would go and get Healey from Toulouse. 

I'm happy with our left back options. So maybe another centre midfielder who is box to box player. 

One thing I'm not going to do is over react to tonight defeat by saying we Need 6 to 8 signings. We need around 4. If BBD leaves then a replacement. 

You’re happy with our left back options? Edun is okay at times but Pickering got targeted tonight and Hoilett and others ran all over him, he really struggled and it’s not the first time he’s had a game like that. He will continue to get targeted and have games like that throughout the season as much as some weeks he’s okay, we desperately need a new starting left back.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Butty said:

Regardless of whether Diaz stays or goes, we are not going to spend 17 million on transfer fees to go on top of the 3/4 we’ve already spent pal. 

Hmm…I think the budget will stretch to another £8m in fees mate, so we could squeeze Svdb, JPvH, Styles and Bowler in without selling BBD. If they wanted to spend less they could do a free agent CM and maybe Berget as the forward?

The further money on the likes of Birmancevic and Healey (or Bowler if we’d gone for Berget initially) would surely only be sanctioned if / when BBD is sold? 

Really don't know what's happened to Pickering. He had a shaky start for us, got progressively better, then got injured which coincided with our horror run last season. Ever since he's gone back to how he started, if not worse. When he's being targeted as a weak link by the opposition though its obvious we need to take action.

Khadra is gonna fancy his chances at weekend, wouldn't be surprised if he starts in place of Brewster. 

Pickering was awful but the so were most of the team last night. Brittain is light years ahead of him. He never goes forward with the ball but can't defender either. 

We looked tired in the first half and once they scored their confidence sky rocketed. Second half was slightly better the first 15 mins or so. When we don't take our chances though of which we don't creat many. We will always struggle.

I think it's clear from last night we won't get the few chances we've been cresting so far. We need some quality bringing in. We've two weeks to do so and I'll reserve judgment on Broughton until then.

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Hmm…I think the budget will stretch to another £8m in fees  

Not a chance, IMHO, of the budget being anywhere near that.

If it was signings would already be here.

We wouldn't be sending a 17 year old out at CB.

We wouldn't be waiting on Liverpool deciding when to send their next loan.

• Like 1

After reflecting on last night I really do think we need the following as a bare minimum

LB - Styles (people say we are still in for him some say we have backed out) he's a very good LWB for this league and would help balance out the side 

CB - Van hecke, don't care what it takes get it done

CB loan - Sep van den berg, can cover cb and rb and is a very solid player in this division 

Josh bowler - we need options up top, Vale needs a loan and dolan should only be used as a sub against tiring legs 

ST - pacey tricky striker please! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

After reflecting on last night I really do think we need the following as a bare minimum

LB - Styles (people say we are still in for him some say we have backed out) he's a very good LWB for this league and would help balance out the side 

CB loan - Sep van den berg, can cover cb and rb and is a very solid player in this division 

Josh bowler - we need options up top, Vale needs a loan and dolan should only be used as a sub against tiring legs 

Couldn’t agree more…JDT has mentioned that he’s speaking to Greg today. Hopefully it’s opened his eyes a little more…

If those positions aren't filled then this season is going to be a struggle.

As explained earlier this week. We needed 2 players before Sheffield united! Come on Gregg sort it out! 

11 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Besides the obvious defensive issue we certainly lack someone like Bowler, a player that can create something out of nothing by going past people. I thought Markanday would be that player but seems he's either not fancied or he's simply not fit yet.

Agree on the striker too, especially of BBD goes. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Harry Pickering is the worst Left Back I've seen in Rovers colours

He’s been pretty awful at times and decent at others, overall he’s a particularly average championship full back 

Douglas was worse, Bell at his worst was as bad as Pickering at his worst

• Like 2

Yeah dack used to be our match winner but sadly he just isn't the same player any more. Hopefully this forces their hand because so far especially Sunday, we got away with a threadbare squad. Seeing us still top should be encouraging for any player coming in. Let's just hope they didn't watch last night.

Edited by Danny O.Brien

9 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Yeah dack used to be our match winner but sadly he just isn't the same player any more. Hopefully this forces their hand because so far especially Sunday, we got away with a threadbare squad. Seeing us still top should be encouraging for any player coming in. Let's just hope they didn't watch last night.

Dacky tried to link the play all together but his touch was either poor or no one was up there for the first touch with him.

We are getting into the desperation stage now in my view. Broughton needs to really up his game now and the owners need to push the boat out. Hopefully this wage structure isn't the stumbling block but I suspect it is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

He’s been pretty awful at times and decent at others, overall he’s a particularly average championship full back 

Douglas was worse, Bell at his worst was as bad as Pickering at his worst

So you’d settle for Pickering??? If we want to be competing for the high level then he can’t start. He’s slow, obviously not the best defender and can’t pass the ball…That’s not just off last night by the way…

Brittain is way ahead of him. We need similar qualities on the left side.

• Like 5

I keep reading how it was TM refusing to spend the owners’ cash (only manager I’ve ever heard of in history who doesn’t want to spend on players, but let’s go with it).

JDT and GB obviously do want to spend, so I’m looking forward to plenty coming in by the 1st of September.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

I keep reading how it was TM refusing to spend the owners’ cash (only manager I’ve ever heard of in history who doesn’t want to spend on players, but let’s go with it).

JDT and GB obviously do want to spend, so I’m looking forward to plenty coming in by the 1st of September.

I believe it of TM to be fair, I think he alluded to it himself on more than one occasion. A cynic might say it gave him kudos with the owners. But maybe he genuinely believed it was his role to save the club money where he could and do 'more with less'.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Tonight exposed the limitations of this Rovers squad. We need at least 4 good signings in the next 2 weeks (preferably permanent, not loans) or we can say goodbye to any hopes of a top 10 finish.  

Avoiding relegation is a more realistic target. This squad is way off the standard for this league. 

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I believe it of TM to be fair, I think he alluded to it himself on more than one occasion. A cynic might say it gave him kudos with the owners. But maybe he genuinely believed it was his role to save the club money where he could and do 'more with less'.

So with the one blocker out the way, we’ve plenty to get excited about over the next two weeks…

• Like 3