BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Nope the Szmodics fee has been reported as 2.5 mill from the start. Occasionally a poster here claims to know the makeup of the deal and that it only reaches 2.5 mill if certain clauses are met etc. But 2.5 mill was mentioned even before the deal completed. Brittain has consistently been said to be at least a mill. As someone said, not a few hundred grand. You may have been right about what leagues we would shop in, but you were very wrong about what we would spend. You should just admit it, you lose credibility every time you fail to.

Early days but I'd say the Peterborough chairman did a very good job for his club with that fee. Brittain is more obviously a good footballer and looks a very good buy. We need more like him

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

Don’t get me wrong - I’d go and pick up JPVH myself from Brighton, but if we hope to bring in the Liverpool lad too, I’m very intrigued to see how we’d keep all four centre half’s happy - not to mention Phillips too when we’re trying to tie him down to a new deal. Ayala is due a couple months out around the new year - of course - but when fit he’s got to be the first name on the team sheet.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Don’t get me wrong - I’d go and pick up JPVH myself from Brighton, but if we hope to bring in the Liverpool lad too, I’m very intrigued to see how we’d keep all four centre half’s happy - not to mention Phillips too when we’re trying to tie him down to a new deal. Ayala is due a couple months our around the new year - of course - but when fit he’s got to be the first name on the team sheet.

I understand this, but Phillips needs a loan in league 2, understand the physicality of men's football and how to win a header.

He got bullied on Wednesday by some shite shite players.

My Reading mates reckon that's one of the worst performances they've ever seen from a Centre Back.

2 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Don’t get me wrong - I’d go and pick up JPVH myself from Brighton, but if we hope to bring in the Liverpool lad too, I’m very intrigued to see how we’d keep all four centre half’s happy - not to mention Phillips too when we’re trying to tie him down to a new deal. Ayala is due a couple months out around the new year - of course - but when fit he’s got to be the first name on the team sheet.

If we got JPVH and van den Berg, perhaps we'll play 3 at the back more often?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

A deal rising to would be fair enough he's only young and even if we paid 7 if we got 5 good seasons out of him it would be a bargain.

If it was rising to 7m I wouldn't want it to cost more than about 3m guaranteed. As a flat fee I'd say he's worth about 4m based on his career to date and what he showed last year. 7m and 5 good seasons would mean we were paying 1.4m per season in fee alone, before wages. I wouldn't pay that for a loanee. So no I wouldn't consider that a bargain unless we sold him on for similar or more at the end of that.

6 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Safe to assume we'll get the usual churn of injuries so think we need as many of quality as we can reasonably get

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

If it was rising to 7m I wouldn't want it to cost more than about 3m guaranteed. As a flat fee I'd say he's worth about 4m based on his career to date and what he showed last year. 7m and 5 good seasons would mean we were paying 1.4m per season in fee alone, before wages. I wouldn't pay that for a loanee. So no I wouldn't consider that a bargain unless we sold him on for similar or more at the end of that.

So you wouldn't invest properly in a good young defender to hopefully serve the club for many seasons instead of filling the gaps with constant loans who also cost money ?

Odd way of looking at it i'd say treat this guy as a one off like Brereton.  If he becomes really good there'll be a profitable sale in a few years.  If he maintains average championship form season in season out we've got a good solid reliable defender of our own to build around.

As long as they covered all angles on the contract and he wasn't on silly wages it's a bit of a no brainer to be honest.

18 minutes ago, phili said:

I think around £3-4m is what we have offered and probably what the deal ends up being at but sadly the fee won't reduce till the last day of the window. 

Info is solid but still keep being told we are still in for Styles and have enquired about a European based Striker on loan but don't have a name as yet.

Styles…Pleaseeeeeeee!!! 

59 minutes ago, phili said:

Funds, they are negotiating for JPVH as a permanent signing from Brighton, once that is complete they will then know what's left at the moment Brighton are after £7m and we are some way off.

I sense JPVH may have to be a special request for more funds from Venky's.

I hope to God you are right...that lad made a massive impression here last season.

Welcome back with open Arms.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 2

Revisiting the Styles deal would make sense. 

If we manage to get the 2 Van's, it would leave us with Phillips, Carter, Wharton, Ayala and them 2, 6 CB's.

I'd assume we'll then move to what it looked like we were going to play this season, a back 5. 

Bring styles in for LWB and CM cover.

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

So you wouldn't invest properly in a good young defender to hopefully serve the club for many seasons instead of filling the gaps with constant loans who also cost money ?

Odd way of looking at it i'd say treat this guy as a one off like Brereton.  If he becomes really good there'll be a profitable sale in a few years.  If he maintains average championship form season in season out we've got a good solid reliable defender of our own to build around.

As long as they covered all angles on the contract and he wasn't on silly wages it's a bit of a no brainer to be honest.

That first sentence is a serious straw-man argument. I never said anything of the sort. I'm saying paying 1.4m plus wages (probably another 750k or more) for one of your CBs as a middling Championship club with a small budget is poor economy unless you get a resale of the same value or more after those 5 years. Which would be doing a Brereton. The post I was quoting just said that 7m for 5 good years was good value, it didn't mention a resale, and I was discussing it on that basis alone.

That said. Buying a young striker for 7m was a serious gamble that very nearly failed (and still may end up in a loss, but that's due to negligence). Strikers sell for a lot more than CBs. 7m is too much, as much as I love JPVH, and as much as we may still end up with a profit. Absolutely we should invest properly in a good young defender. 7m would be investing improperly. It would be terrible value for 'average Championship form'. If that's what Brighton want we are right to hold back until they get more reasonable, which they probably will.

• Like 1

Been saying it for days on here. 

IF JPVH comes it’ll be at the very end of the window. 

There is family illness and he’s unsure about remaining in England this season. 

I’m not an ‘ITK’ or claim to know a lot, but it’s come from one of our players’ parent. 

• Like 6

Brighton can put whatever price they want on a player, but if they are interested in doing a deal, they will have to meet the expectations of the buying club in the context of the market in general. £7million for JPVH, if an actual figure being quoted by Brighton, suggests they aren't really interested in selling.

One hopes we don't fall into the common failing of placing too many of our eggs into one basket...

I was beginning to hope we had moved well beyond being a 'basket-case' club!!

Sort it out, Mr Broughton!

COYB!

11 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

We really shouldn’t be worrying about transfer fees. Thats for the owners to bother about.

For me get as many quality players in as quickly as possible and worry about where they are going to play later. Can any of these centre backs play left full back? 

It'll be a worry when we fail FFP or they get bored of their toy. It'll be a worry when we can't afford the other players we need because we've used all the budget on one.

• Moderation Lead

Can we try and limit dismissing viewpoints as ‘moaning’ please? If we don’t like the forum, then why visit? 
Put it like this, I don’t like mushrooms, so I don’t put them in my food. If you don’t like the content on here so much, then maybe don’t log on?

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

That first sentence is a serious straw-man argument. I never said anything of the sort. I'm saying paying 1.4m plus wages (probably another 750k or more) for one of your CBs as a middling Championship club with a small budget is poor economy unless you get a resale of the same value or more after those 5 years. Which would be doing a Brereton. The post I was quoting just said that 7m for 5 good years was good value, it didn't mention a resale, and I was discussing it on that basis alone.

That said. Buying a young striker for 7m was a serious gamble that very nearly failed (and still may end up in a loss, but that's due to negligence). Strikers sell for a lot more than CBs. 7m is too much, as much as I love JPVH, and as much as we may still end up with a profit. Absolutely we should invest properly in a good young defender. 7m would be investing improperly. It would be terrible value for 'average Championship form'. If that's what Brighton want we are right to hold back until they get more reasonable, which they probably will.

The way we transition from being a middling championship club to a top one is by buying in quality when we have the chance. A 7 million fee over a 4 year contract is nothing in the current market.  We'd all have jumped at the chance to grab Tosin or Reed and we'd have been better off as a result of it.

Loan fees for good young players from Prem clubs are coming in at 1 mill per season now.

As for 7 million being terrible for average championship form i was clearly talking about him being a long term signing. If he costs that money and stays as captain for seven years it's still good value for money. He's our player steadily performing every season in our team so there's no headache or funds needed every year to replace him.  That's how you build teams but it's hypothetical anyway because it would be a worst case scenario. I'm just pointing out quite reasonably that it wouldn't be a disaster.

He's clearly better than that though so he would be worth a deal up to 7 million imo.  

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I was told that for family reasons Van Hecke will, with Brightons blessing be going back to Holland or Belgium to be closer to his family.

We need to be careful here. We could bet the ranch on a player who a month or two down the line decides he doesn’t want to be here anymore. What were we prepared to pay for the lad who went to Sheff Utd ? Is Van Hecke twice as good ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1