BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 hours ago, Nuttall is lost said:

Buying a player is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman.  First you have to eye them up.  Then you have to seduce them with promise of wealth and success and then finally you get them out of their current kit and into yours.

The problem is we are chatting her up at 1.50am just before the night club closes and we have both had a skin full. We then both wake up in the morning and wonder what we have done.

I have never been to bed with an ugly woman, but I’ve woke up with a few!!!!

Edited by lraC
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I think the interim title should be  “Transfers - Ask Geoff”

Has any interviewer actually replied saying Greg is not contactable on the subject ! 😠

It like an automated phone with number options and you just go around in circles, then it hangs up .

This lack of communication on the situation is really getting my goat now . Especially since Greg Boughtons 'welcome ' interviews were about having better communication with the fans .

Edited by slowmo

This window is vital, no doubt.

however we have a new manager, a new DOF and a yet to arrive Head of recruitment.

The test to see their effectiveness will be in my opinion, January and the summer. We are going to play a different style of football, currently with a lot of players who are uncomfortable playing that way- this will clearly take time. There needs to be a evolution of the players coming in and in my opinion selling BB is key, we need the finances from that sale- a scary but exciting ten days coming up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, imy9 said:

however we have a new manager, a new DOF and a yet to arrive Head of recruitment.

The test to see their effectiveness will be in my opinion, January and the summer. We are going to play a different style of football, currently with a lot of players who are uncomfortable playing that way- this will clearly take time. There needs to be a evolution of the players coming in and in my opinion selling BB is key, we need the finances from that sale- a scary but exciting ten days coming up.

We don't bring in a few decent additions this window we are as good as down 

• Like 1

Brendon Williams plays both RB and LB. His contact runs put in 2022. Could be a loan from United with option to buy. 

However wages probably way too high, but a way to overcome that is a 3y contact with a sign-on fee on 2.080.000 which means 20k p/w

Edited by alexanders

54 minutes ago, alexanders said:

Brendon Williams plays both RB and LB. His contact runs put in 2022. Could be a loan from United with option to buy. 

However wages probably way too high, but a way to overcome that is a 3y contact with a sign-on fee on 2.080.000 which means 20k p/w

Would rather we used that on a cb

4 hours ago, Butty said:

I’m pretty convinced if we don’t get a new left back, 2 centre halves and a striker we’ll be finishing in 18th if we’re lucky. 

The problem is venkys don't seem bothered if we are second or 20th so nothing improves.

Our squad isn't balanced.  We don't strengthen it with a specific system in mind.  

We can't have a back line that plays a high line as there is no pace.

We don't have full backs that can defend solidly. 

We don't have full backs that can push up and overlap.. (May be doing Brittain a disservice here but not seen enough of him yet).

We don't seem to have anyone over 6 ft in the middle who can compete physically or add pace.  Both Travis and Buckley seem better in a 3. We don't have anyone who can carry the ball from deep.

We don't have anybody that can hold the ball up centrally.  (Gallagher has the physique but I've given up expecting anything except a solid defensive performance). 

We have a potential match winner in Diaz playing in a 'fluid' 3/4 with other players that are slow, can't complete aerially/physically with defenders and don't score often. 

We have no genuine line hugging  wide players in the squad.  

We have a manager who seems to be trying different systems. All of which are completely ineffective with the players at his disposal.

None of the systems being what we expected  he would do. 

It's almost as if our strategy is  just buying cheap  young players, playing them and hoping they do enough to be sold on before their contract runs out.

If this is a serious 'new era' project journey with a healthy budget then let's start with the spine of the team and the left back.

Make us as hard to beat as possible.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, imy9 said:

The problem with selling BBD is that whilst it may give us an extra million or 2 in the transfer pot, we are still only going to attract league one players and below due to the salary structure, which is apparently inflexible. 

Who from that pond is capable of replacing a 20 goal championship striker?  How do we add quality to the rest of the squad?

We aren't the attraction we once were.  We will only attract better quality players by offering them more £ than anyone else.  It seems to me that our alleged  transfer pot needs halving with the balance being added to the wage structure.

Fewer signings but better quality. 

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

It's almost as if our strategy is  just buying cheap  young players, playing them and hoping they do enough to be sold on before their contract runs out.

That is exactly what the plan is. However, the total ineptitude of the people running the club can't do it effectively and we lose the players for nothing. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Lewis grabben still without a club, knows where the net is. Good at this level

Jamaal lascelles CB   someone says he doesn't feature for his current team, is a proper old school CB and can play a bit, so would suit JDT system 

SVDB loan CB and can cover RB   beast at this level 

Callum styles, LWB and can cover CM very good at this level as a lwb 

Anything more would be a huge bonus ...also don't know how much lascelles is on per week so might not even be worth a mention 

More worryingly is the names we were linked with, the quality of them seems to have worsened ..cantwell ..Davies.. anel.. they would of made a huge difference to this team 

Lascelles is their captain and he's injured. Honestly wonder if some people on here even follow football. 

• Like 1

image.png.5708cf1722761f0f858b0e662a6a713f.png

I hadn't seen it in writing anywhere, but LancsLive journo confirming it. 

I stand by my criticism last week (for which I got unfairly pilloried by some absolute brutes on here 🙂) GB should at least give an update (I didn't say 'running commentary' as the strawmen will claim) as it looks utterly unprofessional for JDT to keep saying 'ask Gregg'. It also makes the club look dysfunctional when JDT knows nobody can 'ask Gregg'. 

It's no wonder JDT appears very frustrated by it all. 

• Like 5

Looks like a long wait for VDB …. Burnley back in too … It’s like Broughton is frozen in a time warp …. Some people say it’s good nothing is leaking but there’s nothing to drip out when there’s nothing happening……

JDT still wants Berget but he’s having problems justifying that cause of the players age & he’s just come back from an injury…….200 K … think he would be ideal …. Can play right / left back all across the front and CB …..

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Looks like a long wait for VDB …. Burnley back in too … It’s like Broughton is frozen in a time warp …. Some people say it’s good nothing is leaking but there’s nothing to drip out when there’s nothing happening……

JDT still wants Berget but he’s having problems justifying that cause of the players age & he’s just come back from an injury…….200 K … think he would be ideal …. Can play right / left back all across the front and CB …..

I live in Sweden and follow Allsvenskan. Berget is a very hard worker on the pitch, but lacks pace and technique. I think he would have a hard time keeping up with the pace of the championship. He is a decent crosser from a wing position, but he needs faster players around him to set him up. I also think he is past his best. Would be an unambitious signing in my opinion, but he might be cheap to buy. Also, he has a good beard.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Kcaj93 said:

Who do you think we will get instead?

I couldn't say who we get. I could list a few players I would look at to bring in if it my decision if you want me to post them. 

12 hours ago, J*B said:

Happy to give them a week to turn this around, then I’ll panic. If JVH has decided to sign a new deal at Brighton I don’t want him at Rovers. We need commitment and longevity. 

I agree we want him on permanent deal if we can't do that then we need to move on. 

11 hours ago, neophox said:

Van den Berg is more highly rated than Van Hecke in Holland if its any help...

JDT said he knows about the player from his time in Holland

9 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

This is what he said upon signing Morton:

More telling was Broughton stating: “Strategically we knew we needed to add another central midfielder to the squad for this season and a loan suited us ideally to ensure we didn’t block the medium-term pathways of some of our own young midfielders who have done so well for us over the last eight weeks.”

Those are not the words of a winner or a person who can help take Rovers forward, in my opinion.

Get him gone.

really? another massive over reaction here. They have massive high hopes for Jake Garrett and Adam Wharton in the coming years so rightly don't want to block that pathway

Give the new management team time and some patience please. Let the transfer window at least ends first

18 minutes ago, Jaybes said:

Anyone got access to Nixon’s Patreon? Story on there about us apparently keeping BBD

Rovers will open new contract talks with a fixed fee release clause in it. I did say that Rovers would offer this sort of contract to BBD during a discussion with Roversfan99

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Broughton is going to be busy this week interviewing for the recently advertised European Head of Recruitment job of which the closing date is tomorrow. By the way this was only advertised recently so I think this precludes any signings from Europe.

Well we did have a head of European scouting in Glyn Chamberlain but Rovers didn't renewed his contract and he left here. It's appears that Greg Broughton and Gus Williams want that role back within the scouting network now. 

We still have our European Scout in Bruno Reis at the club(according to his LinkedIn profile) so we can still be looking into that market. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

JDT asking journos to ‘ask Gregg’ is one thing, but if Gregg I’d putting his fingers in his ears and pretending he can’t hear anyone, no wonder he’s frustrated….

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, unleaded said:

It’s embarrassing how we just keep holding on for the same 2-3 players when performances on the pitch absolutely stink and are crying out for fresh blood. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see us get gazumped for this Liverpool lad too. 

Like others, I just know how this window will end. Seen it time and time again under this lot. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I couldn't say who we get. I could list a few players I would look at to bring in if it my decision if you want me to post them. 

I agree we want him on permanent deal if we can't do that then we need to move on. 

JDT said he knows about the player from his time in Holland

really? another massive over reaction here. They have massive high hopes for Jake Garrett and Adam Wharton in the coming years so rightly don't want to block that pathway

Give the new management team time and some patience please. Let the transfer window at least ends first

Rovers will open new contract talks with a fixed fee release clause in it. I did say that Rovers would offer this sort of contract to BBD during a discussion with Roversfan99

Well we did have a head of European scouting in Glyn Chamberlain but Rovers didn't renewed his contract and he left here. It's appears that Greg Broughton and Gus Williams want that role back within the scouting network now. 

We still have our European Scout in Bruno Reis at the club(according to his LinkedIn profile) so we can still be looking into that market. 

In regards to Wharton and garnett we cannot rely on them. As with vale the step up from academy to men's football in the championship is vast. We need another body in midfield and to laon one of them out for experience. It worked well for Carter in the past and also lenhihan after a season on loan. We can't rely on untested academy players.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, unleaded said:

The usual suspects were consistently telling me last week that it is a done deal, it’s over the line, etc. etc. And we need the patience to wait for the ‘right’ player and not rush a short term signing (even though we’re a couple of months into the window)

Hopefully that lot have woken up and smelt the coffee.

• Like 2