BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

The problem with long term projects is they can sometimes go awry. Last January was a case in point - second place in the league and threatening promotion was never part of the project.

The Rovers hierarchy soon got the project back on track though and by April they could rest easy knowing their sinecures were safe 

• Like 2

I'll say it again, it isn't rocket science and it's not even that much to ask. 

We need:

A centre half, ideally two. Phillips and Pickering asked to do a job there is just not on.

A left back. Pickering not up to it. We all see it, they need to recognise it themselves.

A central midfielder. Buckley is not good enough, even when he plays ok he goes missing for months. Needs competition in there, Trav can be average too.

For Fcuk sake, get the base of your team sorted and stop being so fcukin cheap. Your football club/business needs a cash injection from time to time and this summer is one of them!! Scrimping and scraping  while the wheels fall off after a very good start results wise. Battering in the last two games because we don't have a capable squad, open your eyes and do your jobs. 

Football chairman, boards etc try and dismiss fans etc as idiots because they aren't hired by clubs themselves. We know exactly what we are seeing and exactly what is needed to fix it. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Given he keeps talking about a project, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was to look as follows:

Window 1 (now) - try and plug gaps

Window 2 (Xmas) - start to offload the ones JDT doesn’t like, sell Ben if mid table or worse, start to buy to his preferred way of playing.

Window 3 - clear out the unwanted, start to buy quality, promote a couple of U-23s.

Window 4 - improve positions that disappoint.

And that’s best case IMO.

Thats what I was assuming myself aswell, those 3 wins from 3 at the start of the season were always going to be nothing more than padding up the points needed to avoid relegation. As we have said numerous times, there is just too many players gone.

We have to give the management team time to implement their way of playing, get their type of players in etc. That would take the above time. After 1.5-2 years it would be fair to say whether JDT/Broughton is a busted flush or not. The penny was dropping on Mowbray around that time.

Brexit I'd imagine is also throwing a major spanner in the works.

A few years ago we would have been able to trawl the Scandinavian leagues for players that would cost next to nothing but JDT would know they would do a job here. Now with the whole deal of work permits its just not that easy anymore.

• Like 1

I'm sure this has been discussed over and over but how the fuck have Sunderland (L1 side last year) beat us to signing Van Hecke. If this is true we really are shopping in the bargain basement. 

I can honestly see discontent from JDT before long.

Not good. 

Edited by benhben
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

So now we have another "project"

Mowbray was project No 1 from 2017-22

Tomasson is project No 2 from 2022 - ?

The good thing about "projects" for CEOs is they provide secure, well paid employment over the long term 

No wonder Waggott loves his projects

I agree with what you’re saying here Jim but in my opinion it’s not a Waggott project, it’s a Venky project.

Its a Venkyism that we’ve heard many times over the past 12yrs and means we’ve fooked up another managerial appointment.

I count our blessings that Jack Walker didn't see us as a project. I like Tomasson but I thought he had more about him than that. We are a professional football club and everything revolves around what happens on the pitch. Stagnation will set in if they are setting a multi year target. I currently see very little happening to indicate to me we are to improve on last years final position.

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I count our blessings that Jack Walker didn't see us as a project. I like Tomasson but I thought he had more about him than that. We are a professional football club and everything revolves around what happens on the pitch. Stagnation will set in if they are setting a multi year target. I currently see very little happening to indicate to me we are to improve on last years final position.

In fairness Jack did see us as a project. It was his pet project. The stars aligned. He made very good money, He had a vision for Rovers and from the ground to the training facilities, to the manager, he went for the best. It took time, and project management, but his burning ambition and passion for the club made all the difference. Yin and Yang. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

In fairness Jack did see us as a project. It was his pet project. The stars aligned. He made very good money, He had a vision for Rovers and from the ground to the training facilities, to the manager, he went for the best. It took time, and project management, but his burning ambition and passion for the club made all the difference. Yin and Yang. 

We were promoted in his first full year in charge, in Europe in his second and won the PL soon after. It's about doing the absolute best you can with no timescales. In four years time if we are floundering around mid table in the Championship will people be saying calm down, it's a five year project. 

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Exactly

We finished 8th last season and where in the top few for a lot of it so why not for once just make some smart recruitment. Invest a bit, look at it as a one off and just have a real go on the back of last season ?

Can always revert to projects and journeys if it doesn't work.

Because there are too many gaps to fill.  Should have been done in January but wasn't.  

Unless we get 4-5 better than expected players through the door, it will be mid table at best.

• Like 1

Of course Jack saw us as a project - he even admitted himself that we won the Prem a season or two early to plan.

Even us being self sustainable was part of his plan for us.

I would be worried if there wasn't a plan/project in place at any stage.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BigBar said:

I'll say it again, it isn't rocket science and it's not even that much to ask. 

We need:

A centre half, ideally two. Phillips and Pickering asked to do a job there is just not on.

A left back. Pickering not up to it. We all see it, they need to recognise it themselves.

A central midfielder. Buckley is not good enough, even when he plays ok he goes missing for months. Needs competition in there, Trav can be average too.

For Fcuk sake, get the base of your team sorted and stop being so fcukin cheap. Your football club/business needs a cash injection from time to time and this summer is one of them!! Scrimping and scraping  while the wheels fall off after a very good start results wise. Battering in the last two games because we don't have a capable squad, open your eyes and do your jobs. 

Football chairman, boards etc try and dismiss fans etc as idiots because they aren't hired by clubs themselves. We know exactly what we are seeing and exactly what is needed to fix it. 

In fairness JDT said exactly that about the fans yesterday in one of his interviews- they (the fans) know what the problems are. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

Of course Jack saw us as a project - he even admitted himself that we won the Prem a season or two early to plan.

Even us being self sustainable was part of his plan for us.

I would be worried if there wasn't a plan/project in place at any stage.

His project was to become one of the biggest clubs in Europe. He wasn’t looking at 5 years to get out of the old second division.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, benhben said:

I'm sure this has been discussed over and over but how the fuck have Sunderland (L1 side last year) beat us to signing Van Hecke. If this is true we really are shopping in the bargain basement. 

I can honestly see discontent from JDT before long.

Not good. 

Doesn’t sound like they’ve beaten us. We wanted him permanently, Brighton wanted him to sign a new deal. We’ve supposedly agreed lad from Liverpool as our loaned CB, but their injury crisis has fucked us over. I don’t think anyone reported that we were after van Hecke on loan.

3 hours ago, den said:

The seasons started that’s why.

How are we going to persuade other championship clubs to sell players of the standard we want - when the window closes very shortly? How?

We can blame Greg Broughton or anyone else, but this situation was avoidable. Fans could see what was going to happen as the season drew to a close and THE OWNERS DID NOTHING. 

Who said we are other championship players cos I would be looking towards the PL and foreign market for signings. Players from Liverpool, Brighton, Newcastle or foreign market like Germany or Scandinavia

3 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Sorry that is nonsense. The majority of teams that needed signings have been very busy. We were up there in terms of bodies needed and are one of the lowest for incomings.

Us, Blackpool, PNE, Swansea, Boro all looking for more players. Boro hadn't signed a striker 3 and half ago despite chasing striker after striker. They have now got 3 strikers but been chasing them or months after months

2 hours ago, phili said:

Well if we sign Styles, Bowler and Van Den Berg that is our budget gone for the season. I think they need at least 2 more players on top so at the moment they are trying to balance the requirements of needing 5-6 more players with £7m and pretty much all players we need are in the £3-5m bracket. 

They have to be the right players and fit into our budget. 

Exactly the budget will be gone and we still have a couple of position that need filling. 

I would look to bring 4 quality players. 2 centre backs, 1 centre midfielder and 1 striker. 

It all comes down to how much the transfer fee or loan fee cost plus wages fitting in with the wage budget

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who said we are other championship players cos I would be looking towards the PL and foreign market for signings. Players from Liverpool, Brighton, Newcastle or foreign market like Germany or Scandinavia

Us, Blackpool, PNE, Swansea, Boro all looking for more players. Boro hadn't signed a striker 3 and half ago despite chasing striker after striker. They have now got 3 strikers but been chasing them or months after months

Exactly the budget will be gone and we still have a couple of position that need filling. 

I would look to bring 4 quality players. 2 centre backs, 1 centre midfielder and 1 striker. 

It all comes down to how much the transfer fee or loan fee cost plus wages fitting in with the wage budget

You are usually very keen to dismiss the idea of comparisons with other teams.

I suspect that supporters of the teams you mention are also frustrated with gaps in their squad and feel that they are costing us. Boro are near the bottom with their manager regularly bemoaning the inability to get deals done and Preston fans are very frustrated at their inability to bring in a striker and a right wing back.

The problem with us is that you can't directly compare with these examples. We lost loads of players in the summer and have only signed 3. This week, we have lost 2 games in which we were so short in one position that we keep having to play a 17 year old kid who isn't ready, which has impeded our ability to be competitive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You are talking about getting orem players but we dint have the wages for that. Our wage structure is bottom end championship and league 1. European deals are more difficult to do due to work permits. We can't just keep loaning young premier leagueplayers as we will continue to be in the same position every window. 

• Like 2

Just now, Kcaj93 said:

You are talking about getting orem players but we dint have the wages for that. Our wage structure is bottom end championship and league 1. European deals are more difficult to do due to work permits. We can't just keep loaning young premier leagueplayers as we will continue to be in the same position every window. 

Constant loaning of multiple players is not a stable team. The manager will know long term he can't count on them and therfore will have to scour the next loan signing. Yes 1 or 2 loan signings is needed but on top of that we need 3 or 4 permanent signings. We aint doing that seeking the leagues you have mentioned.