BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Yep, if we bring in Caulker and Hyam then Sepp van den Berg is surplus to requirements. Otherwise you're just blocking the chance for Carter to play, which goes against what they say the new model is. 

In my opinion we're desperate for a LB that can mirror what Brittain does at RB - that would improve us as a team more than any other signing we could make. 

Callum Styles is the answer. The mind boggles that we haven’t perused our interest in him. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Callum Styles is the answer. The mind boggles that we haven’t perused our interest in him. 

Can you make a catchy chant out of his name though? Clearly this is a consideration of JDT and Broughton to improve the atmosphere at Ewood. 

"Give me Sammie Szmodics" to Supersonic needs to be sung and of course "Hyam the one and only" writes itself. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

We lack muscle in midfield and have poor options at LB. It sounds like we won't be addressing those areas which is a huge blow. If Travis gets injured then we have no muscle in CM at all. 

We're a striker light but it sounds like a striker is on the radar. If BBD leaves, then I'd imagine an additional attacker will sign too. 

CM is the area that really concerns me. I just don't think we have enough in the middle of the pitch. 

Edited by rovers11
  • Like 7

I wasn’t really away of Hyam when I heard the rumours yday however having looked into it, seems to be an incredible bit of business for 1.5m!

Statistically up there with the best in the championship both physically and in possession, never injured and experienced (but crucially yet to enter his prime as a CB). 

The Szmodics deal doesn’t convince me, however Brittain and Morton seem quality from what I’ve seen and I imagine Hyam will fit into the same bracket. If Phillips signs a new deal and we’re able to get a quality attacking addition, 2 if Diaz leaves, then I’m happy with our window. Though wished we had got eveything done earlier. 

There’s no need for 2 CBs IMO. 

2 hours ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Depending on who the 3/4 incomings are I think we’ll probably finish the window just as strong as we finished last summer, don’t see any reason why we can’t compete for playoffs, all a test of how good JDT really is

i dont

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Excellent news that we've agreed a deal with Coventry for Hyam. A CB that knows the Championship and is just about to enter his best years. Hopefully the personal terms etc are a formality.

Waggot to hyam  "Would you accept 5k less then Coventry are offering you?, why are you standing up? Where are you going?"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

We lack muscle in midfield and have poor options at LB. It sounds like we won't be addressing those areas which is a huge blow.

Agreed. The 2 league defeats showed up our lack of strength and bite in midfield. We were comprehensively outbattled. Desperately need another "enforcer" type who can play a bit. The money we wasted on Szmodics could have been spent on one. 

• Like 4

One big problem with comparisons to last year is that we are supposed to be trying to improve, not match the 8th place finish, and we were short of depth last season.

The big 6 losses are Nyambe, Lenihan, Van Hecke, Rothwell, Khadra and likely Brereton.

The question is which of these are potentially going to be adequately replaced. Hyam was far from the first choice but potentially would be a decent bit of business. If it is him and Caulker though, for me that is a definite downgrade on the very difficult task of adequately replacing our captain and player of the season.

2 big bits of business are the fees on Brittain and Szmodics to replace the easiest to replace of the 6 in Nyambe and Khadra. I like the look of Brittain, that could be an adequate replacement or even a slight upgrade. Szmodics I am less convinced on, Peterborough fans were not arsed that he left and he doesn't seem to have any stand out attributes, Khadra was inconsistent but always a threat. Rothwell to Morton again seems a downgrade, and we simply won't sign a 22 goal striker (I would at least love someone like Riis/Campbell/Adebayo/Surridge but it will never happen) but equally we can't let him run his contract down.

Whether you consider the likes of Johnson, Giles, Davenport, Zeefuik, Poveda etc to be big losses or not, perhaps not, but we were short of players last season, and the likes of Vale and Phillips aren't ready for this level.

There is also lots of internal suggestions, for example Buckley replacing Rothwell. Even before the questionable assumption that Buckley will be as good as Rothwell from deep Buckley played week in week out last season so who replaces him?

Lots of added questions, players could have better/worse or less/more injury ridden seasons, the manager could get more out of the team, the system has changed etc, but on paper, underwhelmed thus far.

But all in all, assuming Brereton goes and our business goes as it seems, the window is a 3 or 4 out of 10 unless we really pull the stops out for a forward, too many positions (central midfield, left back, right back, back up keeper) we are very thin in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Finlay McKenna said:

I’d be more confident in 

Wharton, Ayala, Caulker, Hyam, Carter, Phillips as our defensive options than I would’ve been in Lenihan, Ayala, Van Hecke, Wharton, Carter this time last year 

Why? Lenihan got team of the season. Van Hecke player of the Season. how can you say Caulker and hyam will be better than those two? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Excellent news that we've agreed a deal with Coventry for Hyam. A CB that knows the Championship and is just about to enter his best years. Hopefully the personal terms etc are a formality.

the intrepid sharpe on the front line of reporting as usual😁he is to journalism what vladimir putin is to neighbourhood relations

55 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I saw this earlier on in the thread.

You don’t see an issue with offering Rothwell & Lenihan over 30k a week (probably more in JR’s case)?

Double what players like Dack are earning?

They aren’t worth that, for one.

Where has it been said they were after that sort of money when we were offering contracts a year or so ago?

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

Sounds like someone has managed to create an auction for Breo.

Good that it drives the price up but bad that his loss is now inevitable.

Yes .. sky sports the other night the “desperate to leave” story … I still think that came from the club rather than player or agent 

15 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Yep, if we bring in Caulker and Hyam then Sepp van den Berg is surplus to requirements. Otherwise you're just blocking the chance for Carter to play, which goes against what they say the new model is. 

In my opinion we're desperate for a LB that can mirror what Brittain does at RB - that would improve us as a team more than any other signing we could make. 

If Phillips signed his contract I'd be happy with Ayala, Wharton, Hyam with Carter and Phillps developed as 4th and 5th choices.

I think we have got to be looking at left back, neither edun or Pickering are up to it imo. If we could get a left sided brittain equivalent that would be my preference as next priority. 

So if we are limited to 3 signings then I'd look to get another attacking option that could immediately demand a place in the first xi, from the formation we've played most with it'd be someone to play on the right of the 4 with gally put back to the bench or moved up front.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Anyone idea of who the third player is?? I presume we must of been in talks for a while if JDT is saying he expects 3 players…

Think Elliott Jackson mentioned the third player will be an ‘attacker’. 

Could be another wide forward, personally would want it to be a out and out CF to nail down that position, then another wide forward to replace BBD if he goes 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, J*B said:

Caulker plays for the equivalent of Crystal Palace in that league, on loan from Fenebache who are a top four side that haven’t battled for the league in a while now (or at least, it feels like it). He hasn’t even played a game for Fenebache according to Wikipedia

So we're about to sign Connor Gallagher then??

😁

I don't think we need to be too het up about this. Experienced, confident on the ball, cheap. Reminds me of when we signed Tony Gale before 94/95.

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

One big problem with comparisons to last year is that we are supposed to be trying to improve, not match the 8th place finish, and we were short of depth last season.

I must have missed the memo but I’m sure a few weeks ago JDT and GB were stressing patience, talking about a transition into a new “project”, and talking about 2 or 3 transfer windows…

Honestly I was expecting a mid table finish and a lot of young players coming through and improving 🤷‍♂️

Everyone seemed on board before we lost a couple of games.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, blondie said:

Concerned as to balance of defence,Wharton the only left footed c/b, and Pickering is woeful.

When did having to have left footer or “left-sided” central defender become an issue. 

I don’t remember many of our great defences having left-footed centre halves.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 5