BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Do we have a DNA? If it is in bringing through youngsters, fine but we have lost our captain and also our most experienced player from an already inexperienced squad so we need at least a couple of more experienced players regardless of ideals about DNA.

The specific names you mention in the main are underwhelming aside from Hourihane who I think would have been a good player to have, good on the ball, very good left foot, experienced and has proven himself at this level over a number of years. 

Also, we cannot afford to allow further time to pass on the basis that we want outs first, we need the bulk of our business to be done before the season, ideally in the next week or so to allow the new players to gel, they have already missed the Portugal trip and likely the first friendly.

Brereton will be going but that situation may rumble on beyond the first game so we simply cannot wait. With Ayala, we don't know if he will go, if he does then we should just an additional vacancy that we need to fill.

Absolutely, you are right we have lost experience and a vast amount with our captain going but we do have leaders within the squad already with the likes of Travis, and Dack. The timeframe you give though is unrealistic, how long has JDT had with the squad? Portugal was probably the first proper occasion he had to assess the squad and they have only just come back. Of course they will have target and ideas of players who fit the system the problem is trying to get all of that sorted and getting a player signed up isn't done in a matter of days. Especially with Venky's at the helm. 

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Dwight Gayle, ciarian Clarke and Jeff Hendrick dumped into the u23s at Newcastle due to them having to many squad players and need to be moved on. All three linked with champ clubs. I’d be all over Gayle and wouldn’t mind the other two 

Similar to my post regarding Hourihane yesterday. Watched alot of Clarke and Hendrick. Both are awful these days, struggle to see what Hendrick does well, he has no major attributes, Clarke is just coasting too. No thanks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why is it quality OR speed in your eyes?

Of course we need quality and that goes without saying really, but it is a genuine point to want at least a large proportion of the summer business to be done well in advance of the first games. It is not one or the other.

It is important to start well and key to that is getting players integrated in pre season together. WHEN the players are signed isn't the irrelevance you make out, for example it would be no good getting all of the players on the last day of the window, 7 games in!

My point is we need to right signings in whether its happens tomorrow or next week or next month. 

I am not in anyway in panic mode and I won't be if we haven't sign any one in couple of weeks time. 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I didn’t say that’s what we’ve done historically - if you draw a straight line between what GB and JDT said upon their appointment and the aim of being a sustainable Premier League club, the answers to what they are trying / hoping to do lie somewhere in what I’ve said. I appreciate that there’s no evidential proof of that happening previously but it appears to be what they want to do.

Gregg Broughton mentioned the Brentford model in one of his first interview. 

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Dwight Gayle, ciarian Clarke and Jeff Hendrick dumped into the u23s at Newcastle due to them having to many squad players and need to be moved on. All three linked with champ clubs. I’d be all over Gayle and wouldn’t mind the other two 

I can't see us being able to match their wages of any of those players

2 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

Absolutely, you are right we have lost experience and a vast amount with our captain going but we do have leaders within the squad already with the likes of Travis, and Dack. The timeframe you give though is unrealistic, how long has JDT had with the squad? Portugal was probably the first proper occasion he had to assess the squad and they have only just come back. Of course they will have target and ideas of players who fit the system the problem is trying to get all of that sorted and getting a player signed up isn't done in a matter of days. Especially with Venky's at the helm. 

We may have a bit of leadership and experience but to me there is not enough, and as another poster pointed out, if we want to continue to bring through youngsters they need that bedrock of a core of experienced players. Travis seems like a leader but is still only 24 and can struggle controlling his emotions and I am not sure that Dack screams of being a huge leader. I thought that our squad last year could have done with a touch more experience and players that have been there and done it and losing our captain and also an experienced squad player who has been there and done it only furthers that point. Someone like Hourihane could have provided a really shrewd replacement for Johnson; much more useful on the pitch considering that he is a fair few years younger, wouldn't necessarily play 46 games but he showed his worth at Sheff United last season too.

As it is, I suspect that the main block in getting experience in is money. I am not convinced that we went to Portugal and used that as some sort of definitive judgement on what we need to bring in, the gaps in the squad are obvious, they mentioned going straight to the transfer market when they arrived and the week is just fitness work in early pre-season without even having a game to judge them. I am sure that Tomasson is always learning about the squad but for example doing mainly fitness drills for a week isn't going to change the fact that we need at least one centre back having lost 2 key ones, that we only have Travis as a central midfielder etc.

They have been in situ for a few weeks now so to expect signings well in advance of the season isn't generally an unrealistic aim. It certainly wasn't a case of me putting all of the blame on the new manager, he was already at a disadvantage being appointed well into the off-season and I would be the first to agree that a Venkys run club is always a further disadvantage. But ultimately I am judging what the intention should have been against what happens and just hope we get some good players in soon to help a very light looking squad.

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

West Ham United want to sign Ben Brereton

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1135656053?-11198:839

now is the right time to cash in,im`e always wary of ben reverting back to brereton,despite his exploits last year he `s a flaky player imo,he could be catastrophically bad this season,id`e be taking the money or offering him to brighton for van hecke and a few quid

• Like 3

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

My point is we need to right signings in whether its happens tomorrow or next week or next month. 

I am not in anyway in panic mode and I won't be if we haven't sign any one in couple of weeks time. 

Gregg Broughton mentioned the Brentford model in one of his first interview. 

I can't see us being able to match their wages of any of those players

No one has ever said that we need to just panic and sign bad players, its a straw man argument because time and quality are not mutually exclusive. It is a reasonable expectation to bring in quality AND to sign at least a large proportion of summer signings as soon as possible well in advance of the season to get them integrated. It is important to start the season well. I have no doubt that you will repeat the response that you aren't panicking and it is about quality without acknowledging that there should ALSO be a desire to get players in sooner rather than later if at all possible to prepare to start the season well.

The Brentford model is not comparable unless we scrap the academy and start using a B team, which obviously is unwise. It also requires continuous commitment from the owners to reinvest part of any fees received which history shows doesn't always happen. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The Brentford model is not comparable unless we scrap the academy and start using a B team, which obviously is unwise. It also requires continuous commitment from the owners to reinvest part of any fees received which history shows doesn't always happen. 

That's not true. When talk of the Brentford model happens, people mean buy smart, fairly cheap, develop and sell on. The fact they scrapped their academy wasn't key to their success, they just didn't have a good one like we do so it wasn't a good use of their resources.

Our owners have shown they're happy to fund the academy though and it isn't taken into FFP calculations. We wouldn't suddenly have a better budget if we scrapped it, we would just lose our player production line. Our accounts show we can't spend more on our first team than we are.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

That's not true. When talk of the Brentford model happens, people mean buy smart, fairly cheap, develop and sell on. The fact they scrapped their academy wasn't key to their success, they just didn't have a good one like we do so it wasn't a good use of their resources.

Our owners have shown they're happy to fund the academy though and it isn't taken into FFP calculations. We wouldn't suddenly have a better budget if we scrapped it, we would just lose our player production line. Our accounts show we can't spend more on our first team than we are.

The problem is that Venkys have regular spells where they totally withhold funding, take last summer, which was the start of a new financial year, we sold Armstrong and didn't even spend 2 or 3 million on the next asset, which is not showing full commitment to this supposed plan, and it is also short term thinking when the expectation is that the majority of those assets are sold on at profit. The way they interfered with the Rothwell deal again is inconsistent to the supposed Brentford model. It has to be constant, Brentford keep selling and instantly buying replacements and it was constant. 

The accounts showing the Armstrong sale and the likely imminent Brereton sale have yet to be released, but I certainly don't agree with this statement in general, but it's too much of a long winded debate.

3 minutes ago, den said:

Right now, with our current squad I reckon we’re on course for last place in the league. I don’t remember thinking that before.

Lots to do.

nah,i can` t be having that,the dregs of the league,rotherham,wigan,cardiff,birmingham and reading are all in a right mess,no way we are going down

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ChrisyG said:

At least we won't have to chant his name from the terraces. Every cloud and all that.

When I lived in Scotland, I went to see Elgin city v Queens Park. A group of fans at the ground were chanting, We are Queens, We are Queens, We are Queens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darrenbot said:

I'm not getting myself worked up about the lack of activity so far,the time to start worrying is if we don't have a decent squad when the transfer window closes.

That is 7 games into the season. The key surely is the squad on the 30th of July, with anything after that just being the cherry on top.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

That is 7 games into the season. The key surely is the squad on the 30th of July, with anything after that just being the cherry on top.

Still 39 games left by then,hopefully we'll get most of our signings done by the 30th but when was the last time we didn't leave everything until the last min.

4 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

I really hope Broughton is successful but I don't think he is particularly well qualified for his current role after working mainly in youth football at smaller clubs. He is an unknown quantity and has a steep learning curve - especially with Venky's in mind.

I think Paul Senior had more experience and that didn't exactly work out.

I meant literally, he's got the UEFA Pro License (top coaching badge) and Football Association Technical Director qualifications.  

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

Still 39 games left by then,hopefully we'll get most of our signings done by the 30th but when was the last time we didn't leave everything until the last min.

We cannot afford to underestimate the importance of a good start to the season.

I do not have great expectations of things unfolding like it needs to, as you say we often leave it to the last minute. Fingers crossed we are pleasantly surprised.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No, the key, is results in the league. It doesn't matter which squad brings the wins.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, den said:

Right now, with our current squad I reckon we’re on course for last place in the league. I don’t remember thinking that before.

Lots to do.

Then you ain't looking too deep into other teams squads.

Birmingham,Reading and Rotherham at a minimum have worse squads than we do and other teams are worse off than us imo.

Players will come before the season begins 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, den said:

Lots to do.

Nah, not even close, in my opinion.

We'd struggle to break out of the mid table monotony, but considering we were allegedly willing to splurge c£3m on a bit of Anel, I'm confident we'll see some incomings at some point...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

Nah, not even close, in my opinion.

We'd struggle to break out of the mid table monotony, but considering we were allegedly willing to splurge c£3m on a bit of Anel, I'm confident we'll see some incomings at some point...

We'd be in the bottom 3 for sure.

The back 4 has absolutely no depth in any position.

Neither does centre mid. Beyond Travis and Buckley it's a 17 year old.

• Like 5