BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

Think the main thing is that they have to get this right, already far too many fans that feel alienated from the club , and complete apathy towards the clubs fortunes, we were going down a dangerous path with mowbray I felt as it was all too predictable and samey. Let’s get some pride and entertainment back to Ewood. I’m well aware that venkys will continue to divide but if they get this appointment right then maybe we can move forward 

• Like 5

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/phillip-cocu-interested-hibs-job-26814496

Cocu interested in the Hibs job. Which of the following is it?

1) He's desperate to manage again.

2) His agent is just putting his name out there to see what comes up.

3) Something dodgy is at play here. Kean at Hibs. Cocu at Rovers? A playground for the bastard agents.

Avoid Cocu. Not interested in his big name reputation. Something doesn't seem right.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Those were years ago and the fact he hasn't managed for nearly 6 years ago given he has champions league. I would leave him on the unemployment ladder. First choice is Daniel Farke with Gareth Ainsworth second choice. 

Di Matteo has been out of work for nearly 6 years now. Time to leave him there 

I have suggested Ainsworth not for reasons of Blackburn connections at all, but he has 2 promotions and maybe a third on a small budget. Manning doesn't have any promotion on his CV. 

Mention by Alan Nixon to me yesterday. 

Interview with by Waggott and Pasha maybe with Balaji video link maybe. Its better than it being done by other non Rovers people, 

I think interviews people is a fairly common tools these days in my line of work these days still. 

Nothing wrong with interviews and talking to different candidates then appoint the best man for the job. 

As I said I’m not advocating for di matteo but mowbray was also on the football scrap head when he came here. I’m not really one for ainsworth either, I can’t put my finger on it but it just screams failure to me , I think it’s the fact that past players, connections to clubs just never seem to do well, it’s like everyone wants it to work and maybe try too hard but it rarely comes off. Off the top of my head

shearer- newcastle 

solskjaer- Man Utd 

mcoist- rangers 

berg- here 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Think the main thing is that they have to get this right, already far too many fans that feel alienated from the club , and complete apathy towards the clubs fortunes, we were going down a dangerous path with mowbray I felt as it was all too predictable and samey. Let’s get some pride and entertainment back to Ewood. I’m well aware that venkys will continue to divide but if they get this appointment right then maybe we can move forward 

Absolutely.

The next bad appointment could be the last one.

10 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

As I said I’m not advocating for di matteo but mowbray was also on the football scrap head when he came here. I’m not really one for ainsworth either, I can’t put my finger on it but it just screams failure to me , I think it’s the fact that past players, connections to clubs just never seem to do well, it’s like everyone wants it to work and maybe try too hard but it rarely comes off. Off the top of my head

shearer- newcastle 

solskjaer- Man Utd 

mcoist- rangers 

berg- here 

Yes if I could be bothered I could write a long list of similar appointments. 

• Like 1

I went through the names on the betting and the top couple looked good options - then it went fairly depressing

I'd be happy with Ainsworth, Farke from the list Bet Victor have - and pretty much none of the others. It's probably a less inspiring list than normal - and it's not usually a great list of names.

I'd obviously take Dyche, but can't see it happening.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If correct that doesn't bode well. There is very little, if anything, in common between any of those people, suggesting that there is little by way of a plan here.

Lets me take each manager in turn to reply to your points made

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Farke has an outstanding record at this level and could get a move to any Championship club - should be given the job if interested and the others binned off

Farke would be outstanding candidate here and should be the top choice but we have to see what his thoughts and terms would be. From his Norwich days, Farke rebuild the Norwich team by selling James Maddison and other players. In his first season, he spend 13 million pounds, signing 17 players in that season whilst selling players for just over 30 million pounds, then his second season where he achieved promotion he spent just below 5 million pounds, signing 10 players whilst selling players for around 33 million pounds. So that's 18 million pounds on transfer ins whilst bringing in 63 million pounds on transfer outs. So he has had sell key players like James Maddison, Josh Murphy, Jacob Murphy and Alex Pritchard. Then bringing in cheaper replacements from overseas like Pukki or Zimmerman for example. He mainly played 4-2-3-1 formation and like his teams to pass the ball quickly through midfield and the lines to the attacking players.

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Ainsworth has been at Wycombe Wanderers all his career and whilst he has done very well with them in the lower divisions by all reports plays a very different style of football and recruitment and is very much a manager rather than head coach as Farke was at Norwich.

Ainsworth has 2 promotions on his CV from league 1 and 2 plus maybe a third. He can worked on a tight budget and gets the best out of his players. He likes to get the ball forward quickly but like to target man and 2 wide man with number 10. 

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Cocu is  more similar to Farke in the head coach and style department but has had a mediocre record since leaving PSV, but nevertheless is a big name in European football.

Cocu did very well at PSV and at Derby got a 10 place in his first season. He prefer a slower passing and more patience style to Farke. Cocu did bring through at Derby players like Max Bird, Louis Sibley, Jason Knight and Lee Buchannan. So that's will appeal to Rovers but not sure his passing style would appeal to us tbh unless he has adapt this now after his Derby experience. 

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Johnson is a head coach sort from Bristol and Sunderland but his record is no better than Mowbray's and he's a streaky manager who would often get Bristol to the top 6 then collapse and was sacked at Sunderland this season so not sure why he's suitable here.

Johnson did well at Bristol City without able to take them to the next level. Harshly sacked by Sunderland when they were 3rd in league. He does developing young players and will bring through academy players into the first team. 

22 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Warburton has just left QPR for similar issues to what we've had under Mowbray although he's an experienced operator with a decent reputation at this level.

Warburton can work on tight budget and has good links to bigger clubs for young, up and coming players. Will develop young players and will bring through academy players into the first team. Yes concerned by his QPR spell this season and was similar to Mowbray one. decent manager but similar to Mowbray

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Unsworth is a relatively young coach with no experience as a full time senior manager.

wild card outsider here. His background is in youth development and he left Everton recently to seek his ambition to becoming  first team manager. 

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

There is very little, if anything, in common between those 6. Just about as wide and varied group of people as can possibly be drawn up

Most of the 6 have a background in bringing through academy players into first team and developing them, plus can work on tight/moderate budgets and have rebuild first team squad after selling key players. 

19 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

shearer- newcastle 

solskjaer- Man Utd 

mcoist- rangers 

berg- here 

Super Ally did quite well at Rangers, I always thought. Albeit in extremely strange circumstances.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

As you would say "sources"?

Are you basing those names on any specific information or are you just plucking random names out of thin air off the betting lists?

Edit: See you've replied to Miller. I wouldn't put too much store on what Nixon says.

We know that Farke, Ainsworth and Cocu are interested in the job. The 3 I have picked I have outlined to JHrover the reasons why I put them on the shortlist. 

Nicko and O'Rourke are 2 good sources of info out for us. they might not get everything right no one does.

18 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

shearer- newcastle 

solskjaer- Man Utd 

mcoist- rangers 

berg- here 

like I said before to JHRover I have not based it on Rovers connections but the fact he has worked on small tight budget whilst achieving 2 promotions and possibly another one. Some people might want a Rovers ex player or fan in charge but reasons aren't them. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We know that Farke, Ainsworth and Cocu are interested in the job. The 3 I have picked I have outlined to JHrover the reasons why I put them on the shortlist. 

Nicko and O'Rourke are 2 good sources of info out for us. they might not get everything right no one does.

like I said before to JHRover I have not based it on Rovers connections but the fact he has worked on small tight budget whilst achieving 2 promotions and possibly another one. Some people might want a Rovers ex player or fan in charge but reasons aren't them. 

I don’t care if they come from the dark side of the moon just as long as they can get us playing.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

shearer- newcastle 

solskjaer- Man Utd 

mcoist- rangers 

berg- here 

I think it's more a case of most managerial appointments eventually end in failure anyway. It's just that we remember them more when there's the story of them being a club legend. Add in the fact that the appointment is more likely to be an emotional one rather than being hard headed in appointing the most impressive candidate, it's not surprising that most end up finishing in tears. 

Having said that I think Ainsworth's record is seriously impressive for a club so small, so deserves a chance at a bigger one. I'd see it as too big a risk personally, but there's a logic to it which wouldn't be there for 95% of other candidates who happen to have a Rovers connection. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Super Ally did quite well at Rangers, I always thought. Albeit in extremely strange circumstances.

A bit unlucky that he got Rangers in the second tier at the same time as very decent Hearts and Hibs teams. Anything less than marching through the leagues was obviously going to be unacceptable for a club as big as Rangers, but they were still slightly unfair expectations given the scale of the rebuild that needed to be done there. 

• Like 1

Think I'm missing something, we already knew what Pete O'Rourke has tweeted?

Came out yesterday he'd been putting his name in the ring.

14 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

No he really didn’t, scraped through the leagues then failed to get promoted to the spl and knocked out the cup to Alloa, it was a major failure and led to an awkward feeling among the rangers fans as he is right up there as a rangers legend but they didn’t want him as manager , he was chipping away at his legendary status when he decided to call it quits and went on gardening leave 

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Lets me take each manager in turn to reply to your points made

Farke would be outstanding candidate here and should be the top choice but we have to see what his thoughts and terms would be. From his Norwich days, Farke rebuild the Norwich team by selling James Maddison and other players. In his first season, he spend 13 million pounds, signing 17 players in that season whilst selling players for just over 30 million pounds, then his second season where he achieved promotion he spent just below 5 million pounds, signing 10 players whilst selling players for around 33 million pounds. So that's 18 million pounds on transfer ins whilst bringing in 63 million pounds on transfer outs. So he has had sell key players like James Maddison, Josh Murphy, Jacob Murphy and Alex Pritchard. Then bringing in cheaper replacements from overseas like Pukki or Zimmerman for example. He mainly played 4-2-3-1 formation and like his teams to pass the ball quickly through midfield and the lines to the attacking players.

Ainsworth has 2 promotions on his CV from league 1 and 2 plus maybe a third. He can worked on a tight budget and gets the best out of his players. He likes to get the ball forward quickly but like to target man and 2 wide man with number 10. 

Cocu did very well at PSV and at Derby got a 10 place in his first season. He prefer a slower passing and more patience style to Farke. Cocu did bring through at Derby players like Max Bird, Louis Sibley, Jason Knight and Lee Buchannan. So that's will appeal to Rovers but not sure his passing style would appeal to us tbh unless he has adapt this now after his Derby experience. 

Johnson did well at Bristol City without able to take them to the next level. Harshly sacked by Sunderland when they were 3rd in league. He does developing young players and will bring through academy players into the first team. 

Warburton can work on tight budget and has good links to bigger clubs for young, up and coming players. Will develop young players and will bring through academy players into the first team. Yes concerned by his QPR spell this season and was similar to Mowbray one. decent manager but similar to Mowbray

wild card outsider here. His background is in youth development and he left Everton recently to seek his ambition to becoming  first team manager. 

Most of the 6 have a background in bringing through academy players into first team and developing them, plus can work on tight/moderate budgets and have rebuild first team squad after selling key players. 

Chaddy, we haven't even announced the departure of Mowbray yet, this idea of a 6 man shortlist is beyond premature,

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Chaddy, we haven't even announced the departure of Mowbray yet, this idea of a 6 man shortlist is beyond premature,

If the club know he's going - which they seemingly do - then they should definitely have a shortlist in place.

You see how quickly clubs replace their managers after sacking them. It must be commonplace for clubs to speak to potential replacements while the soon to be departing manager is still employed.

Wasn't Dalglish still employed by Liverpool when we first approached him? 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Like I said to Gav wouldn't be happy with the appointment (at all) but even so I doubt he could do much worse than Mowbray. 

You seem pretty quick to jump on this particular rumour but don't seem as keen to get  excited about the Farke rumours or the fact that he is favourite in the betting.........

Neither mean much at this stage of course.

Considering that 4 mid-table finishes seem set to be the Championship track record of Mowbray, then yes, he could do much worse and actually take us down or even into a relegation scrap.

Mowbray will rightfully be leaving, that much is clear, and if we delay that just out of fear of appointing another Coyle/Kean (an upgrade in your logic) then we are just kicking the can down the road and may aswell give up completely. But no matter how many times you try to deflect the continuous neglectful way in which our club has been run over 12 years in a league whereby teams across the board make regular losses on top of that onto one man as if he has wrecklessly been going on spending spree after spending spree, make no mistake, things can get worse, and Mowbray's time managing us at Championship level has actually been mediocre, not disastrous to the point that it would be hard to do any worse.

1 hour ago, den said:

👍

Exactly why this idea of long term plans is garbage. Players come and go on a yearly basis, hardly anyone - including the manager hangs around that long. You can’t “build” anything unless you’re in the few top clubs in the country who can keep hold of players.

No. For me, when a manager comes to a club like Rovers and talks about building the club slowly, he’s basically giving himself time and giving himself some protection. Do players want to hear that kind of thing? I doubt that as well.

Please, give us a manager who wants to be successful from day one - and demands that from his players as well. Of course it might not work out, but at least it would show a bit of ambition. Every manager can be ambitious, wherever they are. Long term plans at this level are a get out clause.

Having a 2 or 3 year plan is fine and understandable.

What Mowbray became very good at though is completely changing the narrative to suit himself, that had become the most infuriating thing.  You can't be saying every summer that the club doesn't want to be hanging around in midtable, that you don't want to either and that the owners want the Prem.  

So the aim is top 6 then halfway through decide that's futile and it's not 1995 because you need 100 mill for promotion. Then by the end of the season you're saying you are not bothered about league positions or results.  As long as you feel individuals are improving.

All this might well have been noted over the last few years beyond the fans in England.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If the club know he's going - which they seemingly do - then they should definitely have a shortlist in place.

You see how quickly clubs replace their managers after sacking them. It must be commonplace for clubs to speak to potential replacements while the soon to be departing manager is still employed.

Wasn't Dalglish still employed by Liverpool when we first approached him? 

Indeed, should, but this is Venkys.

14 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

No he really didn’t, scraped through the leagues then failed to get promoted to the spl and knocked out the cup to Alloa, it was a major failure and led to an awkward feeling among the rangers fans as he is right up there as a rangers legend but they didn’t want him as manager , he was chipping away at his legendary status when he decided to call it quits and went on gardening leave 

I think you may have missed the irony in my post mate. I married into a Sellick family. 

• Like 1