BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

You just mentioned his 9 years at Wycombe and completely ignored the first 6 years there.

He saved them from relegation out of L2 in 2012. Then eventually got them up to L1 in 2018, while contributing the necessary wheeling and dealing to get the club onto a sound financial footing. All without an academy, reserve team, or GK coach.

Then, given the opportunity to add to his coaching staff, and reserves (allowing him to rest and rotate players at last) he them promptly gets them into the Championship, relegated, then back into a Play-off final again.

The guy has played real-life Football Manager and it's a remarkable managerial career so far.

His fandom is irrelevant (and actually a turn OFF for me lest he be tainted by Venkys). But his record suggests he's ready to make the step up, much more than Mowbray or Coyle deserved when they were appointed, much moreso that the recently appointed Beale, Edwards, Lowe at other clubs.

One of the best posts in thread. Well said. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd prefer Wilcox if we're going down that route - at least he has experience in the role. 

As probably the biggest Jason Wilcox fan outside of his immediate family, I wholeheartedly agree.

Unfortunately though, a DOF role at Rovers in the current climate is a big step down from Academy director at Man City. Both in terms of stature, and I’d imagine financially. Cheers Venky’s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Read an article about Les Ferdinand who was explaining how they appointed Michael Beale. He said they spoken to over 20 people about the vacancy there and any appointment need a backing in development. 

Ferdinand details head coach recruitment process (qpr.co.uk)

Someone needs to get that article in front of the Venkys. Not that it would achieve much. But that demonstrates everything that we are not. Incidentally Qpr are a great point of comparison for us right now. 

Both of us looked set for at least the playoffs. Both have a good few youth players in the first team. Similar budgets and both in need of a manager this summer to build on managers who had begun to stagnate. It'll be interesting to see the fortunes of us both after this pivotal summer. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Can I just point out Les Ferdinand has been DOF at QPR since 2015, before we cream our pants too much. Within that time have they really progressed light years beyond us?

On field not really. But you can't deny there is a culture there and a plan that is sorely missing here. They have been in recovery for a long time since Tony Fernandes has his pants pulled down when he first bought the club. They were the definition of overpaid mercenaries chasing one last pay day.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

You just mentioned his 9 years at Wycombe and completely ignored the first 6 years there.

He saved them from relegation out of L2 in 2012. Then eventually got them up to L1 in 2018, while contributing the necessary wheeling and dealing to get the club onto a sound financial footing. All without an academy, reserve team, or GK coach.

Then, given the opportunity to add to his coaching staff, and reserves (allowing him to rest and rotate players at last) he them promptly gets them into the Championship, relegated, then back into a Play-off final again.

The guy has played real-life Football Manager and it's a remarkable managerial career so far.

His fandom is irrelevant (and actually a turn OFF for me lest he be tainted by Venkys). But his record suggests he's ready to make the step up, much more than Mowbray or Coyle deserved when they were appointed, much moreso that the recently appointed Beale, Edwards, Lowe at other clubs.

Then why is he still there ? Why has another club not taken him

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AJW said:

Then why is he still there? Why has another club not taken him

Because his teams play simple basic hoof-ball. There's a reason Manning is linked with better jobs after a shorter period. Because it's easier to see his methodologies translating to a higher level. I don't subscribe to there being only one way to play football but the way Ainsworth sets his teams up means that in the eyes of many there is a ceiling to his capabilities. 

• Like 1

I’d take Ainsworth, he’s paid his dues and deserves a chance on merit. Feels like it could be a Wilder to Sheff Utd type appointment…the extra % that he’d give for the cause as a lifelong fan is worth its weight in gold.

• Like 3

Ask yourselves, do you believe Gareth Ainsworth will get this club promoted to the Premiership? Or any other manager we're being linked with for that matter?

The ambition has to be promotion, otherwise sacking Mowbray was pointless.

• Like 1

If you look at the Venkys appointments - Kean, Berg, Bowyer, Appleton, Lambert, Coyle, Mowbray. In terms of who “deserved” to be appointed out of that lot I’d say at the time of appointing them only Lambert had done more than Ainsworth to be a worthy appointment on paper (recent achievements/pedigree).

Who’s to know how anything works out but he shouldn’t be dismissed simply because he’s a fan. In my opinion he would fail here but I’ll add the caveat I also think a vintage Alex Ferguson would fail here due to the rudderless leadership at the club 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

Ask yourselves, do you believe Gareth Ainsworth will get this club promoted to the Premiership? Or any other manager we're being linked with for that matter?

I think a managed like Farke would give us a real chance of promotion. Especially if working in tandem with a decent DoF. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

By the logic of getting to the premiership then surely keeping Mowbray as long as we did was pointless. We don’t know that any of the desperados will get rovers to the prem but after 5 long years of Mowbray it’s pretty obvious he definitely wouldn’t. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Gav said:

If he gets us having more seasons like the last one and less like the 2 or 3 before i'd be happy enough.

We desperately needed change and it hasn't cost a pay off so i can live with being a competitive upper end championship club.

To answer the question then no i don't think he or anyone else will get us up without sound investment. Perennial play off contenders is the best we can hope for and i want someone to deliver that.

9 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I think a managed like Farke would give us a real chance of promotion. Especially if working in tandem with a decent DoF. 

While there is no news from Germany about him taking a job there we can still live in hope

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Gav said:

do you believe Gareth Ainsworth will get this club promoted to the Premiership?

No-one knows Gav. How could we? But his history is encouraging, getting results with a club that's got less money than we have!

I'm sure he won't play strikers at full-back for a start.

Some passion and enthusiasm, someone who feels the same about Rovers as we do. Could work out but  I never expect good

decisions from Venkys so Ainsworth would be a less painful one than most.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gav said:

No I don’t 

• Like 2

The longer it drags on, the less likely ANYONE could get us promoted. This pre season is even more critical than ever. A new gaffer needs to come in and assess the current crop of players first, then fill numerous gaps. We already know how slow our transfer activity is from past experience.  If we're still scratching our heads at this time next week regarding a new manager we really are up shit creek I'm afraid.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gav said:

Personally I will give my support to any manager that tries to get us promoted, if they fail then we look elsewhere. Is that not the case in any walk of life ?

Edited by rigger
  • Like 9

I hope we see some real movement on this next week. I'm all for process and being thorough but we really need a manager in place soon, they need to get started to give us the best chance of a successful season.

Also, if after all this time and process, they appoint a complete dud, it's going to be incredibly disheartening. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

Personally I will give my support to any manager that tries to get us promoted, if they fail then we look elsewhere. Is that not the case in any walk of life ?

Ainsworth was a whisker away from getting Wycombe promoted. Whoever the next manager is, wouldn't it be a good idea to arrange a home friendly to introduce him to the Blackburn Rovers supporters.So far all the friendlies are away ties.

43 minutes ago, Gav said:

I think Ainsworth has shown himself capable of galvanising a club and winning promotions with small budgets. The fact that he loves the club is a bonus…

Based on standard rhetoric, Mowbray was the right choice in terms of a history of getting promotion into the PL. It didn’t work.

We nearly went up against all the odds last season. There’s no magic formula, especially when you don’t have the budget to blow the league away. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Ainsworth was a whisker away from getting Wycombe promoted. Whoever the next manager is, wouldn't it be a good idea to arrange a home friendly to introduce him to the Blackburn Rovers supporters.So far all the friendlies are away ties.

Isn't the Ewood pitch dug up ?

47 minutes ago, matt83 said:

By the logic of getting to the premiership then surely keeping Mowbray as long as we did was pointless. We don’t know that any of the desperados will get rovers to the prem but after 5 long years of Mowbray it’s pretty obvious he definitely wouldn’t. 

How do the experts know Ainsworth wouldn't get us promoted.If there hiding a crystal ball they could choose the right man for the job.It was messiah mowbray when they got promotion.

Edited by RoversTilliDie