BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Birmingham City (a) - 7/5/22

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Has there ever been a better goal of its type--ie a long-distance strike---scored by any Rovers player in the last fifty years? If there is I can't remember it.

As for Brereton he was on top of his game yesterday. Full of energy and intelligent runs, he is running into space for the return almost before he passes it! Great goal.

I think he's going to be a big star and I'm sad its going to be with someone else. Quite different to what I thought when he came!

Didn’t LeSaux get one like that in the rout of Notts Forest ?

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Has there ever been a better goal of its type--ie a long-distance strike---scored by any Rovers player in the last fifty years? If there is I can't remember it.

As for Brereton he was on top of his game yesterday. Full of energy and intelligent runs, he is running into space for the return almost before he passes it! Great goal.

I think he's going to be a big star and I'm sad its going to be with someone else. Quite different to what I thought when he came!

Reid at Wigan.

• Like 1

Loved all those mentioned but they weren't better than Buckley's yesterday.

The volley by Tugay from a Pedersen corner was  fantastic but Buckley's was from the deck farther out and hardly any backlift. So it seemed to me anyway!

Edited by 47er

Good way to end a season that is a marked improvement on the prior one but of course the way that it has unfolded makes it a huge dissapointment.

Buckley was man of the match, Brereton was very good and Hedges is starting to look a danger.

2 points of note for 2 players auditioning for next season who were for me our 2 weakest players.

Tayo Edun is a liability, really limited on the ball and loves a silly yellow card.

James Brown was also not up to scratch, made 2 or 3 errors that led to attack, needs a loan and regular football next season rather than playing the occasional game here.

3 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Sharp. Nippy. One to watch next season.

correct. I think Brown and Vale will be part of the squad also next season. Vale is a talent striker who needs to part of the first team squad. On Brown, I thought he was more than solid enough against one very tricky winger. Hopefully more to come from these 2 next season

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

correct. I think Brown and Vale will be part of the squad also next season. Vale is a talent striker who needs to part of the first team squad. On Brown, I thought he was more than solid enough against one very tricky winger. Hopefully more to come from these 2 next season

Have you managed to watch the game Chaddy?

7 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Early days for Brown. Positive: put a couple of great tackles in. Negatives: made two schoolboy errors to let Brum in. The negatives outweighed the positives for me if I'm being harsh. We need reliability at the back, not brilliance followed by missing the basics.

Again, might be harsh, but Brown is only six months younger than Nyambe. At 24 when next season starts, will he have room to improve on being an U23s player? Maybe. Time will tell. At the moment, jury well and truly out, and not somebody I'd think will be a reliable first team player for a promotion push (should that be our target).

Brown looked assured at U23s level. He looked ok at first team, not under pressure level. I think he will be OK at first team level. Let's give him a chance. I would say he is a defending full-back, he won't be bombing on creating attacks.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Early days for Brown. Positive: put a couple of great tackles in. Negatives: made two schoolboy errors to let Brum in. The negatives outweighed the positives for me if I'm being harsh. We need reliability at the back, not brilliance followed by missing the basics.

Again, might be harsh, but Brown is only six months younger than Nyambe. At 24 when next season starts, will he have room to improve on being an U23s player? Maybe. Time will tell. At the moment, jury well and truly out, and not somebody I'd think will be a reliable first team player for a promotion push (should that be our target).

Thought he did ok for his debut. A couple of rash moments, which should be easy to learn from.  Seems to have enough about him to be in the squad. He came on a free and is probably paid peanuts. Should have plenty of growth in him having just come over from off-season in Ireland and half a season to adapt. A bit of a bonus player who've done enough to deserve a cap. Don't think he is seen as replacement of Nyambe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, briansol said:

Thought he did ok for his debut. A couple of rash moments, which should be easy to learn from.  Seems to have enough about him to be in the squad. He came on a free and is probably paid peanuts. Should have plenty of growth in him having just come over from off-season in Ireland and half a season to adapt. A bit of a bonus player who've done enough to deserve a cap. Don't think he is seen as replacement of Nyambe.

He isn't a replacement for Nyambe. He is a back up right full-back 

I am surprised to have seen such a positive reaction to Brown's performance yesterday, for me he was a serious weakness and Birmingham got plenty of joy down his side.

It defies all logic in my opinion to have him lurking around the fringes next season as a squad player. He especially at the age he is seems desperate for a season in League 1 (ideally) or League 2, playing regular professional League football to see what he is made of.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am surprised to have seen such a positive reaction to Brown's performance yesterday, for me he was a serious weakness and Birmingham got plenty of joy down his side.

It defies all logic in my opinion to have him lurking around the fringes next season as a squad player. He especially at the age he is seems desperate for a season in League 1 (ideally) or League 2, playing regular professional League football to see what he is made of.

In that case who would you have at back-up right full-back ?

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

In that case who would you have at back-up right full-back ?

It's probably a role in which we will need to look at the market, even if its a freebie on low wages. Rankin Costello is crap and Brown is a rookie.

Assuming we didn't and even if both of the aforementioned players stayed, the 2nd choice should anything happen to Nyambe/his replacement would be to move Carter.

5 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Brown did enough to show that he could be a useful squad player. If Nyambe stays, he'll get his chance given Ryan's persistent hamstring problems.

Thought JRC was a forward in the U23s/youth squad. He's certainly not a full-back/wing-back. Needs to decide where he can play. Don't think versatility "a la Benno" at his age is a good thing.

Yesterday I didnt see a perfomance from Brown that gave me confidence that he is at the moment a Championship standard player. But even if he had, considering his age and the fact that he has only ever played at a very low level, that playing week in week out in the English leagues would be beneficial anyway.

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

I think given that it was his first game for first team I think it was good start from him. Something to work with defiantly for the next manager

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It's probably a role in which we will need to look at the market, even if its a freebie on low wages. Rankin Costello is crap and Brown is a rookie.

Assuming we didn't and even if both of the aforementioned players stayed, the 2nd choice should anything happen to Nyambe/his replacement would be to move Carter.

Why keep stock piling players with more squad players? Why not develop and use Brown as your back right back? 

Carter might not be here next season aswell

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yesterday I didnt see a perfomance from Brown that gave me confidence that he is at the moment a Championship standard player. But even if he had, considering his age and the fact that he has only ever played at a very low level, that playing week in week out in the English leagues would be beneficial anyway.

Lets not go round in circles, you don't think at the moment he is good enough as cover at right-back. I think he is, each are entitled their opinions. End of debate.

Edited by rigger

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think given that it was his first game for first team I think it was good start from him. Something to work with defiantly for the next manager

Why keep stock piling players with more squad players? Why not develop and use Brown as your back right back? 

Carter might not be here next season aswell

How on earth is that stock piling players?! I wouldnt use him as my back up right back because based on the very limited professional game time hes had of 1 game (did you go/watch the game in full?) coupled with the very fact that he has such limited experience in the first place, I wouldnt feel comfortable trusting him over a period of time should he be needed.

I also think as ive said that it would be better for him at his age and with his lack of senior experience to go out and get 40 games under his belt in League 1 or 2 rather than playing here and there as back up.

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

He'll go. Wants first team football but would be fourth choice centre-back next season (assuming Lenihan signs). Contract expires next month.

Yes I have read somewhere aswell. Can't see him first choice here

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

How on earth is that stock piling players?! I wouldnt use him as my back up right back because based on the very limited professional game time hes had of 1 game (did you go/watch the game in full?) coupled with the very fact that he has such limited experience in the first place, I wouldnt feel comfortable trusting him over a period of time should he be needed.

I also think as ive said that it would be better for him at his age and with his lack of senior experience to go out and get 40 games under his belt in League 1 or 2 rather than playing here and there as back up.

We have to agree to disagree on this Roversfan99

Edited by chaddyrovers

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I have read somewhere aswell. Can't see him first choice here

We have to agree to disagree on this Roversfan99

Did you watch the game? Did you not think that Birmingham got in a few times behind him and saw him as a weakness.

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Did you watch the game? Did you not think that Birmingham got in a few times behind him and saw him as a weakness.

I watched the game back last night on Rovers TV

Blimey it was his first game in the championship. Give him some leeway, I'm sure Lenihan and Nyambe first game at this level weren't perfect and I'm sure people weren't convince about Pickering after the first game against Swansea at Ewood Park.