BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/23 Season predictions

What is in store for the next season? 

It's going to be interesting especially given the early start and winter break to allow for the most corrupt world cup in history to take place. It'll be long that's for sure.

As of this moment in time we still don't have a manager although supposedly the list has been whittled down to three candidates. I am fully expecting the announcement  of the new top man to be a total anticlimax. 

As for transfers, I think Diaz will be sold but not for anything close to some of the massive fees that have been banded about around here. As for players in, I can't imagine the new man to be given much to spend so it'll be loans and frees as per usual. 

So where qill we finish then?

My prediction, 12th.

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We should be looking for promotion after just missing out on the top 6. 

We didn't just miss out though did we...? We finished 8th and 6 points away...closer to 14th than 6th but let's not let the truth get in the way....Mogadon In!!!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 47er said:

No point in even guessing till we know who the new manager is.

There are far too many variables right now to make a call on anything. Right now we have no manager, probably not enough decent players to put a team out and no real planning done amongst other things. Throw the incompetence of Waggott, Pasha and the owners and it doesn't paint a good picture.

• Like 1

Hard to be overly optimistic at this stage with the managerial search dragging on, and the better names going elsewhere.

I would agree that Brereton will go and we will see next to nothing reinvested again, so will be reliant on loans and frees. Nyambe and Lenihan I can see being fixed up elsewhere by the time a manager is finally appointed.

There is a lot of shit in this league, notably Reading who have seen many key players leave and face a season of Paul Ince, and Birmingham who are in crisis. I can see us avoiding a true dogfight.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We should be looking for promotion after just missing out on the top 6. 

Despite probably losing Brereton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell and not yet having a manager or basic backroom team in place? 

Top 6 would be an extraordinary achievement in my opinion. A season of solidity would be my expectation. And god willing, a great season for Dack! 

17 hours ago, Jimmy612 said:

Despite probably losing Brereton, Nyambe, Lenihan, Rothwell and not yet having a manager or basic backroom team in place? 

Top 6 would be an extraordinary achievement in my opinion. A season of solidity would be my expectation. And god willing, a great season for Dack! 

Yes

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Based on what? Especially considering that we were unable to get either of the 2 managers you wanted.

why shouldn't it be?

We should be always aiming for promotion and not keep settling for mid table mediocre. We don't know who the next head coach but we have bought in an experience person as Director of football. 

Hopefully Lenihan and Nyambe will stay at Rovers so then we need 6 quality signings in my opinion even if we lose Ben Brereton which looks likely.  

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why shouldn't it be?

We should be always aiming for promotion and not keep settling for mid table mediocre. We don't know who the next head coach but we have bought in an experience person as Director of football. 

Hopefully Lenihan and Nyambe will stay at Rovers so then we need 6 quality signings in my opinion even if we lose Ben Brereton which looks likely.  

It has nothing to do with what I am aiming for or indeed what I am settling for. Obviously we should be aiming high but this is a (very premature) prediction thread, what we THINK will happen and what to EXPECT, not what we WANT or indeed what we should STRIVE for.

As it stands, I am weighing up what I see before me, using assumptions and historical evidence.

We still don't have a manager, optimal candidates have gone elsewhere, and I have no faith in us appointing a really good one under Venkys.

Our main goalscorer who scored such a large proportion of our goals and without whom we looked impotent is set to go, based on last summer, its hard to reasonably expect a decent chunk of that to be reinvested.

We have also lost the likes of Van Hecke, Rothwell and to a lesser extent Khadra. I would suggest it is unlikely that either Lenihan and Nyambe will stay, certainly not both, hence why they are still to sign a new deal. If they do, great, but I personally don't expect it.

So to replace so many key players on a budget will be so, so difficult. I am not seeing a lot of constructive reasons for optimism. I do think that the general standard of league is really poor so I expect us to keep our heads above water regardless though, but reasons to expect an IMPROVEMENT on last season? Not seeing many.

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It has nothing to do with what I am aiming for or indeed what I am settling for. Obviously we should be aiming high but this is a (very premature) prediction thread, what we THINK will happen and what to EXPECT, not what we WANT or indeed what we should STRIVE for.

As it stands, I am weighing up what I see before me, using assumptions and historical evidence.

We still don't have a manager, optimal candidates have gone elsewhere, and I have no faith in us appointing a really good one under Venkys.

Our main goalscorer who scored such a large proportion of our goals and without whom we looked impotent is set to go, based on last summer, its hard to reasonably expect a decent chunk of that to be reinvested.

We have also lost the likes of Van Hecke, Rothwell and to a lesser extent Khadra. I would suggest it is unlikely that either Lenihan and Nyambe will stay, certainly not both, hence why they are still to sign a new deal. If they do, great, but I personally don't expect it.

So to replace so many key players on a budget will be so, so difficult. I am not seeing a lot of constructive reasons for optimism. I do think that the general standard of league is really poor so I expect us to keep our heads above water regardless though, but reasons to expect an IMPROVEMENT on last season? Not seeing many.

I think we should be aiming for the PL within 2 years now. We got a director of football who will have a footballing strategy to get us there. Now we need a good head coach who will play a style and formation that's suits these players. 

Yes we didn't get Farke or Carvalhal but we will hopefully make a good appointment but whoever is appointment the target should still be PL within 2 years

Now you mention having to replace certain players who have left the club or might be leaving. This is all down to recruitment and getting in players who will deliver and improve the clubs whilst bringing some young players into the first team squad like Jake Garrett, Jack Vale and Ash Phillips. 

If Brereton does go then hopefully we will some of the money of that money to sign some players but there is a lot of good players out there for low fees or even on free transfer who would improve us. 

I see plenty of reasons to be optimistic for the coming season. If you don't fine but that's ain't mine. 

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think we should be aiming for the PL within 2 years now. We got a director of football who will have a footballing strategy to get us there. Now we need a good head coach who will play a style and formation that's suits these players. 

Yes we didn't get Farke or Carvalhal but we will hopefully make a good appointment but whoever is appointment the target should still be PL within 2 years

Now you mention having to replace certain players who have left the club or might be leaving. This is all down to recruitment and getting in players who will deliver and improve the clubs whilst bringing some young players into the first team squad like Jake Garrett, Jack Vale and Ash Phillips. 

If Brereton does go then hopefully we will some of the money of that money to sign some players but there is a lot of good players out there for low fees or even on free transfer who would improve us. 

I see plenty of reasons to be optimistic for the coming season. If you don't fine but that's ain't mine. 

You arent really reading my post. I am not talking about what the aims and aspirations should be, obviously we shouldnt hope to tread water.

The thread relates to this one upcoming season.

Do you have faith that we will appoint a good manager factoring in Venkys history, Waggott leading the search and key targets going elsewhere?

Does keeping the coaching staff not hint at doing things on the cheap?

Do you think its fair to fear the worst regarding investment after what happened to the Armstrong money?

Do you see those kids all making a major impact in a top 6 Championship side within 12 months? Seems unfounded to me.

Do you not see the departees as major blows?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You arent really reading my post. I am not talking about what the aims and aspirations should be, obviously we shouldnt hope to tread water.

The thread relates to this one upcoming season.

Do you have faith that we will appoint a good manager factoring in Venkys history, Waggott leading the search and key targets going elsewhere?

Do you think its fair to fear the worst regarding investment after what happened to the Armstrong money?

Do you see those kids all making a major impact in a top 6 Championship side within 12 months? Seems unfounded to me.

So you want people to express their opinions, as long as they are the same as yours ?

Mowbray has left the squad in a mess. The new manager is already running out of time to make it a productive summer and the likelihood of said manager being some untested lummox like drunken Duncan. There is little reason to be optimistic. 

2 hours ago, rigger said:

So you want people to express their opinions, as long as they are the same as yours ?

My issue/questions werent in relation to his opinion. I feel like (as he often does) he was not directly addressing either the points I queried nor the general topic.

Predictions surely implies that it is what we think will happen. I dont doubt nor disagree with the idea that we shouldnt be happy to tread water, nor that we shouldnt have ambitions.

Same question to you. Why do you think we will finish in the play offs?

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My issue/questions werent in relation to his opinion. I feel like (as he often does) he was not directly addressing either the points I queried nor the general topic.

Predictions surely implies that it is what we think will happen. I dont doubt nor disagree with the idea that we shouldnt be happy to tread water, nor that we shouldnt have ambitions.

Same question to you. Why do you think we will finish in the play offs?

Because, I don't think there are six teams better than us, in the Championship this coming season.

1 minute ago, rigger said:

Because, I don't think there are six teams better than us, in the Championship this coming season.

Who do you think is better than us?

Do you have faith in the club getting a suitable manager to improve us immediately and also to get recruitment right?

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Who do you think is better than us?

Do you have faith in the club getting a suitable manager to improve us immediately and also to get recruitment right?

At present, as the season hasn't started, no team is better than us. Do I think that we will get an improvement on Mowbray as manager, yes, that is not a very high bar. None of which have any relevence on my opinion as to where I expect us to finish.

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

At present, as the season hasn't started, no team is better than us. Do I think that we will get an improvement on Mowbray as manager, yes, that is not a very high bar. None of which have any relevence on my opinion as to where I expect us to finish.

Of course, this thread is very early I would say.

We definitely could do better without Mowbray but 8th is not the embarassingly low bar that some people make out.

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Let's see who we appoint firstly. But whoever is appoint the target should remain the same. 

Appointing Farke or Carvalhal would have great but we haven't. 

Let's see if Benson and Lowe stay on firstly. But given we Will need to appoint new staff to fitness, medical and physio departments plus appoint a new head of recruitment. 

Why fear the worst? 

Yes I can see them having an impact on our season if given a chance. Why not? 

Which departees?