BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

The writing is on the wall for Tomasson.

It's been gradually building for quite a while, ever poorer performances being masked by an elevated league position.

Fans voted with their feet today. I've never seen a ground empty so early in a game. Fans are seeing through his smiles.

Come February, after a transfer window in which he has the opportunity to bring in players of his own choosing, unless we see a marked improvement, then the knives will be out big time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Danishfan said:

But we are still in top of the League? Are you questioning his dedication?

I hope, he is rewarded for his value

Not his dedication that I am questioning. His big failing for me is the lack of variation in play and tactics. We are predictable, so much so we are easy to play against. He is asking players to do something they aren't capable of and yet he persists with it. I honestly don't know what he sees when the vast majority of fans can see how we can't play his way.

Why wind yourself up and waste your energy with ‘get rid’ posts? We are at the top end of the league and this is a club that doesn’t sack contracted managers. They didn’t sack TM on horror run #6 (or was it 7, 8?), so they certainly won’t be even thinking about JDT’s position this, or probably, next season (unless we are marooned at the bottom). 

If you really do want him gone, you need to hope that this isn’t ’the project’ he thought he was and he goes off his own accord. Surely it should be clear to everybody by now that Venky BRFC doesn’t behave like any other Championship club… 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Because its a JDT thread for people's opinions on the manager?

TM aside, they haven't had any issues potting previous managers?

Obviously that’s what the thread is for! But surely you have to be realistic? If you think he should go, fair enough, think it’s far too early to even be thinking about it personally, but it’s a game of opinions.

My point is having any expectation that the club will actually do anything if things go awry is a waste of energy. They do not make decisions, they let things fester and fester.

Take away Coyle, who was only sacked due to a short term appearance of that Paul Senior character (and even he went on far too long), when did they quickly sack a manager? Appleton nearly a decade ago.

My point is, we are a totally different club from that of 2010 to 2013 in which it was a revolving door of managers and executives. 

These days, if you play the game with the owners you can get your feet right under the table and you are given a contract and left to get on with it until it expires, the metrics that must people are judged by at football clubs  - results, don’t seem to come into it. Waggott being another example.

Edited by Mattyblue

I think when they get rid of a manager it has nothing whatsoever to do with results.

If you criticise them in any way, you're on borrowed time,I think that's the more likely situation.

What you have to hope for is that he gets frustrated and starts publicly criticising them. I thought right from the outside that this first team coach, director of football set-up was a mistake. If results go badly, tomasson can blame it on the quality of recruitment, and Broughton can blame it on the coaching. It's all about getting your excuses in and building up your pension pot.

On this current trajectory, Burnley are going to whip us. That may be enough to make him walk unless he had a thick hide, because he'll have lost the fans then

• Like 1

• Backroom

I don't know about the intricacies of a modern dressing room, but at what point do the players revolt.

They must realise these tactics are failing and making them look like mugs on match day. 

Surely there comes a time when those conversations are had.

How many suicide goals till the tipping point is reached? 5, 6...7?

Or does everyone just keep their gobs shut and heads down. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

My point is, we are a totally different club from that of 2010 to 2013 in which it was a revolving door of managers and executives. 

These days, if you play the game with the owners you can get your feet right under the table and you are given a contract and left to get on with it until it expires, the metrics that must people are judged by at football clubs  - results, don’t seem to come into it. Waggott being another example.

You're largely basing this opinion on the Mowbray tenure though, which yes was baffling. We've no way of knowing if JDT will be viewed in the same light as him with these crackpot owners.

Most likely outcome is that he might walk, he's an ambitious man and he's doing his career no favours at present. It's reminiscent of Cocu at Derby, his stubborn insistence on playing style was nothing short of a disaster but he stuck to it. Landed another job in Holland because of his exploits at PSV. JDT still maintains a good spell in Sweden and as a coach for the Danes so would find work...

4 minutes ago, Silas said:

I don't know about the intricacies of a modern dressing room, but at what point do the players revolt.

They must realise these tactics are failing and making them look like mugs on match day. 

From what as happenend over recent times , we have not signed people who are leaders  ..

When Bradley Johnson was up front ,Travis was having a running argument with Venus all the half ..

Dack is the only one I think , who could whip the dressing room up into discontent ..

That might be why he doesnt get many minutes ..

7 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

You're largely basing this opinion on the Mowbray tenure though, which yes was baffling. We've no way of knowing if JDT will be viewed in the same light as him with these crackpot owners.

Most likely outcome is that he might walk, he's an ambitious man and he's doing his career no favours at present. It's reminiscent of Cocu at Derby, his stubborn insistence on playing style was nothing short of a disaster but he stuck to it. Landed another job in Holland because of his exploits at PSV. JDT still maintains a good spell in Sweden and as a coach for the Danes so would find work...

If you honestly think they’ll sack him after a poor run of results (like every other Championship club), fair enough. I just don’t. 

But as you say, he’s a young, foreign coach and there is a big old world out there for the roving manager for hire, so unlike the last fella, I doubt he’d hang around just happy to be in employment at a middling second division outfit.

39 minutes ago, Silas said:

I wasn't going to post this because of the million questions that follow criticising credibility of source and other things but I was told by somebody close to the players that many players aren't happy with Tomasson. The exact words were 'he is only two senior players away from losing the dressing room'.

I was also told that Broughton struts around Brockhall like he owns it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I wasn't going to post this because of the million questions that follow criticising credibility of source and other things but I was told by somebody close to the players that many players aren't happy with Tomasson. The exact words were 'he is only two senior players away from losing the dressing room'.

This doesn’t surprise me in the least Tony. You can tell in their body language. Worrying times.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

It's no wonder as they are being told to play in a way that instead of improving players is actually ruining them and their confidence.  Hyam is looking ropey now as is Brittain and Wharton and Travis, all playing well and looking confident a few months ago, all are far better we know than what we are seeing.

As for Broughton well he is the boss down there now so he needs to start acting like one and have JDT in for a good chat. Then he needs to step in front of the local press and back his man, they are both accountable for the recent shambles.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It could we argued we are a different club to 6 months ago, at least structurally.  We now have a DoF in GB who is responsible for the footballing side. He's now JDT's boss. Before it seemed to be Waggott having oversight and making recommendations. 

So, lets see how things unravel if the team and results unravel (which may very well happen from now). GB may recommend pulling the trigger on JDT.

It also depends what the remit from the owners is. I've never believed this 'they don't want to get promoted' nonsense. JDT and GB have spelled it out quite a few times that the owners target is a self-sufficient Prem team. I suppose it just depends how long JDT has been given to deliver the 'project'. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

We’re certainly playing like it.

4 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It could we argued we are a different club to 6 months ago, at least structurally.  We now have a DoF in GB who is responsible for the footballing side. He's now JDT's boss. Before it seemed to be Waggott having oversight and making recommendations. 

So, lets see how things unravel if the team and results unravel (which may very well happen from now). GB may recommend pulling the trigger on JDT.

It also depends what the remit from the owners is. I've never believed this 'they don't want to get promoted' nonsense. JDT and GB have spelled it out quite a few times that the owners target is a self-sufficient Prem team. I suppose it just depends how long JDT has been given to deliver the 'project'. 

The GB appointment is the surface difference from the TM reign.

So it all depends on if he has the executive power to hire and fire on the football side as he sees fit, or if the big decisions are still sent up the the owners’ man in the shadows…

• Like 1