BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

46 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

We're playing really well at the moment, but that we seem to win despite creating lower quality chances than the opposition is a continuing head-f***.  There's very few games all season, including Sheff Utd on Saturday, where our xG has been higher than the opposition. I think that's where the reticence to get behind JDT comes from it doesn't quite stack up and gives the feeling of a "false position".

It's weird as you'd think it would eventually catch up with us, but it hasn't. 

Maybe it's just we are absolutely shit hot at last ditch defending? It's been 35 games now so that's long enough to say it's not a blip, we must be doing something right. 

This table is absolutely crackers : https://footystats.org/england/championship/xg

That xG table is brilliant, I’m glad games are decided on actual goals or we’d be back in league one. 

We could be doing something similar to Huddersfield’s promotion season in 16-17.

25 wins, 6 draws, 15 losses, 56 scored and 58 conceded. Finished the season with 82 points and promotion with a goal difference of -2.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, philipl said:

It could be 10 pence, the amount is irrelevant. 

In the past decisions from Pune were very slow to come through.

Finally, there is a mechanism and a focus to get an instant ok out of the Venkys compound.

That is the point I am making.

Seems strange to use a signing that literally we ran out of time to complete to try to display a more proactive approach from the owners!

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Seems strange to use a signing that literally we ran out of time to complete to try to display a more proactive approach from the owners!

Others may correct me but O'Brien only became available on either deadline day or the day before because Forest needed to complete a deal.

Venky's carry the blame for an awful lot of things during their first seven years of ownership but the Company Secretary not making sure a two page form was in an email attachment on time on the night of 31 January this year is not something I would pin on them.

The Brereton signing was not at such short notice and was a case of a long standing instruction from Pune to invest significant money in a young highly promising player who wouldn't break the wage structure.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

I usually look enviously at rival clubs managerial appointments and wish we'd have got A, B, C instead.

Right now I look and don't think there's a Championship club whose manager I would prefer over JDT.

The fitness and discipline we've seen at times this season is on another level.

I totally agree with you. 

4 hours ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

Exactly. What made it worse was Tomasson assuring the fans that he knew how important the game was to us. That CANNOT happen again.

I think its time people moved on from that game and realise that we are great position to get a playoff place and outside chance of 2nd. I would lose both games against them if we got promotion. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Others may correct me but O'Brien only became available on either deadline day or the day before because Forest needed to complete a deal.

Venky's carry the blame for an awful lot of things during their whole sad ownership tenure but the Company Secretary not making sure a two page form was in an email attachment on time on the night of 31 January this year is not something I would pin on them.

The Brereton signing was not at such short notice and was a case of a long standing instruction from Pune to invest significant money in a young highly promising player who wouldn't break the wage structure.

Fixed.

(I wasn't directly blaming them for the O'Brien fiasco, even though this isn't the first time staff they employ mess up and get away with it. I just don't see how a very conditional deal that fell through signifies what you have implied)

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

We're playing really well at the moment, but that we seem to win despite creating lower quality chances than the opposition is a continuing head-f***.  There's very few games all season, including Sheff Utd on Saturday, where our xG has been higher than the opposition. I think that's where the reticence to get behind JDT comes from it doesn't quite stack up and gives the feeling of a "false position".

It's weird as you'd think it would eventually catch up with us, but it hasn't. 

Maybe it's just we are absolutely shit hot at last ditch defending? It's been 35 games now so that's long enough to say it's not a blip, we must be doing something right. 

This table is absolutely crackers : https://footystats.org/england/championship/xg

It's baffling, isn't it?

We battered QPR and Sheffield United, yet they both had a higher xG score than us in those respective games. Bearing in mind too that Gallagher had a literal tap-in - the system seems incredibly flawed. 

11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's baffling, isn't it?

We battered QPR and Sheffield United, yet they both had a higher xG score than us in those respective games. Bearing in mind too that Gallagher had a literal tap-in - the system seems incredibly flawed. 

It is flawed. 

Friends have gone to uni and studied a masters in sports analysis and they taught the students that xG is effectively a pointless stat.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

It is flawed. 

Friends have gone to uni and studied a masters in sports analysis and they taught the students that xG is effectively a pointless stat.

And people have to go to university to know that ?

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

It is flawed. 

I guess at a minimum it tells you whether you're any good at finishing or last ditch defending/saving (we seem to be very good at both). But yes it doesnt seem to have much predictive power about who will be where on the table.

13 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Surely we’ve got to move on. He made mistakes on the day, we got well beaten. It was an awful day, but it was four months ago and we’ve bounced back strongly.

All this about it being ‘unforgivable’, of course it’s forgivable, he has us in with a chance of completely transforming this football club after just months in post.

We are getting as bad as them for obsessing about that one fixture. 

If it was just one game that would be true, but there were numerous games where the team didn't bother to turn up.

Those games are already costing us.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

It is flawed. 

I was thinking that when Sheffield’s centre half beat four players, had what seemed a very scorable position but then scooped into Pears’ arms. Was that a high probability xg? For a forward in that position, yes, but for a CH who had run half the length of the field, lost his balance beating Carter and was on his wrong foot, not at all.

20 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

XG just sounds like one of those stupid 'statistics' that provide no insight but tries to make idiots who like to waffle about minutiae sound like experts. The sort of people who watch US sports with their obsession with numbers and statistics, but don't look at the league table or the score of the match. 

It's young muppets trying to  reinvent the best game in the world, when it's just a ball and 2 nets. 

We had a Rovers "expert" on radio Lancashire a few weeks ago, that hadn't even heard of Tomasson before he came here, but I'm sure they had xg and var off to a tee. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, JohnD said:

We had an amazing 2 or 3 months last season that started after the Fulham home humiliation. won something like 10 in a row.

From this point onwards in 21/22 we won 3 out of 11. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 2

We finished on 69 points so took just 1 point a game to the season end last year.

Sheffield United  and Luton in 5th and 6th both ended with 75 points.

Will be devastating to only take 11 points from our 11 remaining games again this time around.

• Like 1

Interesting that he refers to his wife and kids both living in the Netherlands and him not seeing much of them. Some sacrifice but goes to show what people in football do to progress and take on good opportunities.

In stark contrast to the last mon who made out like 90 minutes down the road from Middlesbrough was the other end of the world and that he was doing us a massive favour being here.

• Like 2