BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Tea cake in east Lancs, though ‘barmcake’ does seem to becoming more prominent over this side.

I saw your unedited post and checked wiki so I could come back and tell you that you were talking shite...but you were right!

Tea-cake is East Lancs/West Yorks ........ but barm cake is Lancs in general. 

I'm originally RV and that was brought up on barm cakes. 

I'm a Prestonian, worked in Blackpool and Bolton. Never ever heard of a John Bull in a chip shop. And a dab is a flat fish with sand paper skin to me.

Tea cake or barm cake; same thing. Flour cake in Bolton and muffin in Manchester.

Back on topic.......is he staying?

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

It’s the easiest way to start a war up north, when you ask what people call a bread product. I say, live and let live.

Unless you call it a cob, then you can do one x

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Don’t think you even get John Bull’s in Darwen, nevermind any other non-Blackburn area. My local chippy as a kid at Four Lane Ends used to do a cracking one.

John Bulls are the dog's b0ll0cks and have bought them at chippies as far a field as Arnside and Keswick!

Edited by Mercer

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Tea cake in east Lancs, though ‘barmcake’ does seem to becoming more prominent over this side.

I thought tea cakes were the ones with raisins in them. My grandparents would come over and have toasted tea cakes and butter with a cup o' tea. Hence why they might be called tea cakes?

I worked part-time in a chippy in Clitheroe when I was 17 or 18 (Cottage Takeaway, now Baldwin's?), and it was always a barm cake there. I don't recall tea cake being mentioned in chippies in Accy where I grew up. Or maybe my memory has gone!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I thought tea cakes were the ones with raisins in them. My grandparents would come over and have toasted tea cakes and butter with a cup o' tea. Hence why they might be called tea cakes?

I worked part-time in a chippy in Clitheroe when I was 17 or 18 (Cottage Takeaway, now Baldwin's?), and it was always a barm cake there. I don't recall tea cake being mentioned in chippies in Accy where I grew up. Or maybe my memory has gone!

They are ‘fruit tea cakes’, of course.

Always been tea cakes in Accy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Barm cake in Lanky innit?

But I agree with your overall point. An M&S fish cake on a buttered white barm cake is the food of the gods. 

It's tea cake in Blackburn, but have heard barm used around here recently. Not sure about Lancashire in general though.

The strangest one for me was hearing a mate ask for a chip muffin one day. A chip what? Do you mean chocolate chip? 😁

• Like 3

• Backroom
43 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It’s the easiest way to start a war up north, when you ask what people call a bread product. I say, live and let live.

Unless you call it a cob, then you can do one x

That’s for those pretend northerners in Lincoln and Nottingham

13 minutes ago, goozburger said:

From memory, and it's a bloody long time ago, a tea cake did  have raisins in - my mum and dad loved them toasted for breakfast.

Other 'delicacies' I can recall from those tender years include tripe and chips, tripe and onions and cow heel pie!  Happy days!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

From memory, and it's a bloody long time ago, a tea cake did  have raisins in - my mum and dad loved them toasted for breakfast.

Other 'delicacies' I can recall from those tender years include tripe and chips, tripe and onions and cow heel pie!  Happy days!

From now on I will always associate you with tripe.

• Like 1