BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

On 05/10/2023 at 10:31, Hasta said:

However we are conceding at an alarming rate because we are wide open committing too many men forward. That is on the manager. Against Hull with 10 men we showed we can sit back and defend but use the players we have to hit on the break. Same at Watford.

We didn't against Coventry, and lost 1-0 because Szmodics had to keep dropping back to help out in midfield and the rest of them couldn't score in a Mancunian back alley brothel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

We didn't against Coventry, and lost 1-0 because Szmodics had to keep dropping back to help out in midfield and the rest of them couldn't score in a Mancunian back alley brothel.

We did and we lost 1-0 instead of 4-1 against Leicester and 3-0 at Plymouth. It's progress resultswise !

Ultimately we are screwed till we can get Gallagher or Ennis on the pitch, but I feel trying to blast everyone off the pitch isn't working. I'd be curious what happens if we actually go a goal up. Do we become more conservative and hit on the break, or continue in the same manner.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hasta said:

We did and we lost 1-0 instead of 4-1 against Leicester and 3-0 at Plymouth. It's progress resultswise !

Ultimately we are screwed till we can get Gallagher or Ennis on the pitch, but I feel trying to blast everyone off the pitch isn't working. I'd be curious what happens if we actually go a goal up. Do we become more conservative and hit on the break, or continue in the same manner.

We weren't even half as open against Coventry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

We weren't even half as open against Coventry.

Yeah first line should have said "We didn't and we lost 1-0".

That's the problem with posting and working  at the same time 🙂

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

The issue we had towards the back end of last season was not being able to score. The gung ho approach is an attempt to remedy that but it's having the downside of leaving us exposed at the back. 

Hard to find a middle ground as we don't have the quality. That is 100% on the owners.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

The issue we had towards the back end of last season was not being able to score. The gung ho approach is an attempt to remedy that but it's having the downside of leaving us exposed at the back. 

Hard to find a middle ground as we don't have the quality. That is 100% on the owners.

And the tactics !

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

And the tactics !

As Upside said i think part of the idea behind it is try to try and create more and score more involving half the team because we've lost our main source of goals and can't afford nor seem capable of getting another.

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

As Upside said i think part of the idea behind it is try to try and create more and score more involving half the team because we've lost our main source of goals and can't afford nor seem capable of getting another.

I don't I think he has no plan B and is very arrogant in his approach to the games ....I would really like to know what the players think of him , cos his way of playing, puts a hell of a lot of pressure on the back four ...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

I don't I think he has no plan B and is very arrogant in his approach to the games ....I would really like to know what the players think of him , cos his way of playing, puts a hell of a lot of pressure on the back four ...

I don't think it's arrogant but confident in his playing style of principles of play

12 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

So he does have a Plan B? 🤔

Did you watch the Watford game, or any of the games in the first half of last season? 

Still a little concerned that we're not looking entirely secure at the back, but hopefully that was more down to nerves considering some of the recent performances. 

Hopeful that the result, and especially the clean sheet, boosts their confidence, and we can build from here. 

Certainly felt more secure with Wahlstedt in goal, but he's gonna test tougher tests than today, for sure. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Delighted for JDT and for him sticking to how he wants us to play which is scoring goals after goals. 

Yeh  his full flowing attack seems to work against these weaker and low in confidence teams. Hopefully we can progress against some more challenging teams

• Like 2

To be fair I would agree that we werent as gung ho in those first 4 games and we actually got 7 points in those, including a win at Watford playing tactics so different to how we played in the few games since.

Hill playing at right back I think is a defensive move although he has still been bombing on quite a lot. Rankin Costello has also come in for Travis who was often so far forward pressing teams really high up.

I wonder how much if any of it has comes down to the quality of opposition too, its not as if its been a total difference in tactics like we saw at Watford. QPR are appalling and did get to a certain point before their lack of quality saw attacks break down. Coventry had struggled to find a win for 6 games until they got one in the game before us too. Prior to that our naive approaches were against the likes of Ipswich, Leicester and Sunderland who did have the quality to see us off, and Plymouth (aided by goalkeeping incompetence) who have some good attacking players. Boro did create a lot but again they misfired.

In all the  4 games prior to QPR we could have easily have got something from. We didn't because we didn't take our chances or were robbed by the ref. 

Scoring first also has a huge impact in the majority of Championship games. Score first and you rarely lose. 

Yesterday we score first and romped home. 

It would be naïve to think the manager is naïve. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

In all the  4 games prior to QPR we could have easily have got something from. We didn't because we didn't take our chances or were robbed by the ref. 

Scoring first also has a huge impact in the majority of Championship games. Score first and you rarely lose. 

Yesterday we score first and romped home. 

It would be naïve to think the manager is naïve. 

We conceded 3 once and 4 twice in those games though, when that happens you can't put the main portion of blame on poor chance conversion.