BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (a) - 6/8/22

On 31/07/2022 at 22:58, Mattyblue said:

Not a chance. 

I’d be happy for the home numbers to match yesterday, which will be a challenge in itself as you always get a spike first day of the season.

We have only just scraped over 8k season holders, so say WBA bring 2k, that needs another 8k+ buying a ticket. That just doesn’t get close to happening here without heavily discounted tickets a la Bournemouth, Oxford. 

Tad unfair here MB, as from last week ST sales had reached 8.5k

We had 4.5k walk ons.

WBA will bring more than 2k, I'd guess more between 3-4k

If we win at Swansea and the Baggies win we should be looking north of a crowd of around 16k

11 minutes ago, damo100 said:

Tad unfair here MB, as from last week ST sales had reached 8.5k

We had 4.5k walk ons.

WBA will bring more than 2k, I'd guess more between 3-4k

If we win at Swansea and the Baggies win we should be looking north of a crowd of around 16k

Not sure WBA will bring that many, be shocked if they bring 2k. 

Ok 8.5k STs. There won’t be that many walk ons this time as it’s not the first day, they won’t bring more than 2/2.5k.

There’s not a chance of us getting an 18k gate for an early season game at full price tickets. Just arithmetic, so I’m not sure how I was being ‘unfair’.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Data so far suggests we're holding shape more effectively without the ball and pressing less in the final 20% of the pitch. Allowing us to intercept and break up play more. Will suit playing Swansea who'll want a lot of ball. Got to be effective on the counter and take our chances but this is definitely a winnable game. Would potentially consider the 3-4-3 to match them a bit, but can see the value in sticking with the formula for now.

Kaminski

Brittain
Ayala
Wharton
Pickering

Travis
Buckley

Brereton Díaz
Szmodics
Hedges

Vale

To start for me. Get Dack & Dolan on around 60 mins and potentially move Szmod to RW.

33 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Data so far suggests we're holding shape more effectively without the ball and pressing less in the final 20% of the pitch. Allowing us to intercept and break up play more. Will suit playing Swansea who'll want a lot of ball. Got to be effective on the counter and take our chances but this is definitely a winnable game. Would potentially consider the 3-4-3 to match them a bit, but can see the value in sticking with the formula for now.

Kaminski

Brittain
Ayala
Wharton
Pickering

Travis
Buckley

Brereton Díaz
Szmodics
Hedges

Vale

To start for me. Get Dack & Dolan on around 60 mins and potentially move Szmod to RW.

I know Gallagher has his critics on here, and i have certainly been one of them, but I'm not sure I have seen enough of Vale for him to jump above Gally in the central striker role

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

I know Gallagher has his critics on here, and i have certainly been one of them, but I'm not sure I have seen enough of Vale for him to jump above Gally in the central striker role

Vale's movement, first touch & ability to link up with those around him is far superior for me.

Annoyingly can't upload clips onto here because the file size limit is very small. But so much movement and linking up play. Something we see little of from Sam.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Vale's movement, first touch & ability to link up with those around him is far superior for me.

What do you make of his sharpness & general physicality?

My sense of his game vs QPR was that he showed one or two nice touches, but often struggled to get a kick. Certainly don't want to judge him too harshly given it was his first league start, and the service into him might've been a problem too, but it definitely felt like he was lacking the quickness or power to impose himself on the game. 

That’s the problem by purely looking at data. 

He may have linked up well at times, but using your eyes tells you he has a long way to go physically, he was repeatedly brushed off the ball/couldn’t get near it.

So it’s not as easy as just saying ‘he’s far superior to Gallagher’, as there’s a lot more to playing centre forward.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

We haven't really seen enough of Gallagher in that role to judge him.

39 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s the problem by purely looking at data. 

He may have linked up well at times, but using your eyes tells you he has a long way to go physically, he was repeatedly brushed off the ball/couldn’t get near it.

So it’s not as easy as just saying ‘he’s far superior to Gallagher’, as there’s a lot more to playing centre forward.

Huh? No data involved, pure visual scouting. Crock of tripe, just a straw man argument!

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

What do you make of his sharpness & general physicality?

Again, compared with Gallagher I don't see a big difference at all. He's obviously not as tall, but height means very little.

29 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We haven't really seen enough of Gallagher in that role to judge him.

Gallagher has played 8922 minutes as a central forward, compared with 5882 in RW/LW roles. Senior apps only.

16 goals and 4 assists from RW/LW. Averaging a goal contribution every 294 minutes.
26 goals and 3 assists from ST. Averaging a goal contribution every 307 minutes.

Edited by JoeH

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Again, compared with Gallagher I don't see a big difference at all. He's obviously not as tall, but height means very little.

Gallagher has a lot of flaws but one thing he does have is that he is quite quick and powerful over long distances. Vale looks very slow and kept getting beaten by the QPR centre backs in races to the ball and was also shrugged off the ball a few times.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher has a lot of flaws but one thing he does have is that he is quite quick and powerful over long distances. Vale looks very slow and kept getting beaten by the QPR centre backs in races to the ball and was also shrugged off the ball a few times.

I can only find one, maybe two incident of that in the game. Mostly I see a player who dropped in, linked up play, showed a great first touch and did more with the ball at his feet than a lot of our 9's have done. He's far from the finished article but we all know what SG's deficiencies are in that central role.

50 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So it’s not as easy as just saying ‘he’s far superior to Gallagher’,

At three certain things, as was clear. Again, a straw man argument and I don't know why. Feels purposeful.

1 minute ago, Finlay McKenna said:

There’s pros and cons to both Gallagher and Vale, I’m indifferent really one which one I prefer up top.

There are, I agree with that. The assertion was neither that Sam/Jack was better than the other overall, just that I think Vale does some things that Sam doesn't... based on visual, not data.

Edited by JoeH