BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 3/9/22

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I’m not sure about that. I would expect a good manager to lmprove a struggling team instantly. Eddie Howe is an example. At the moment all I see is the old faults and weaknesses of Mowbray’s team - possibly worse.  Reading provided a template for other managers to beat this  soft Rovers team. Tomasson has to overcome that, and soon. I’d say there’s  a big question mark over him already. 

Eddie howe had much better players to work with than what we have. He also brought In proven ready made players like wood, the Brazilian lad, Dan burn, Trippier etc. Jdt can only really bring In potential 

Edited by roverandout

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I’m not sure about that. I would expect a good manager to lmprove a struggling team instantly. Eddie Howe is an example. At the moment all I see is the old faults and weaknesses of Mowbray’s team - possibly worse.  Reading provided a template for other managers to beat this  soft Rovers team. Tomasson has to overcome that, and soon. I’d say there’s  a big question mark over him already. 

Eddie Howes spending at Newcastle. Doesn’t include the £60m just spent on Isak. Amazing what a bit of cash can do

31D1EA21-E419-4885-B3A3-28BE1007A025.jpeg

12 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I would expect a good manager to lmprove a struggling team instantly. Eddie Howe is an example. 

Nonsense.

Newcastle hardly won a game until they opened the cheque book and got knocked out of the FA Cup by Cambridge when Howe joined the club.

JDT needs time, he’s not a miracle worker.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 6

Big ask for JDT to be fair, felt like we needed a more experienced manager who could grind out results. Solid base, no nonsense type. Oddly enough the type who was in the opposite dugout yesterday. Big Sam be ideal and yes I'm aware there is no chance but the nice guy approach hasn't worked for us for years. Need someone who will crack the whip and rip the softies a new one when required.

Edited by BigBar
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

Nonsense.

Newcastle hardly won a game until they opened the cheque book and got knocked out of the FA Cup by Cambridge when Howe joined the club.

JDT needs time, he’s not a miracle worker.

i agree,but if he can`t see what`s going wrong then he won`t get us anywhere,needs to shorten the field positional wise,teams are hitting us on the break and running into that lovely space we give them

It’s clear that the difference from the first two home games results to the last two home games is players out injured.

All though I don’t think we played that well in the first 2, we had Brittain, Trav in the middle with Ayala at the back. If we can get 4 points before the international break then I’ll be happy….Hopefully after have a full fit squad.

Didn’t Steve Cooper also have an instant galvanising effect on Forest? It is possible to turn a failing team into promotion candidates. I’m fed up with “projects”, this season and the here and now is important. Tomasson has it all to prove

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I was referring to his turnaround last season, saving Newcastle from relegation

Ok, so just off the top of my head he bought Chris woods for £25m and Tripper for £12m in January 22 , just a couple of months after he was appointed. There were probably more as well

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I was referring to his turnaround last season, saving Newcastle from relegation

That 94M he spent in January made a big difference in their relegation chances.

As far as I’m concerned this season JDT is making a judgement on the players and working out what positions he needs. In fact, as long as we’re not going down I would say it’s unfair to make any judgement for at least 18 months. 

Let’s not forget in his first 18 months, Tony managed to avoid getting us relegated and miss out on winning League One despite having the biggest budget in L1 history. 

• J*B unpinned this topic
2 minutes ago, J*B said:

That 94M made a big difference. 

As far as I’m concerned this season JDT is making a judgement on the players and working out what positions he needs. In fact, as long as we’re not going down I would say it’s unfair to make any judgement for at least 18 months. 

Let’s not forget in his first 18 months, Tony managed to avoid getting us relegated and miss out on winning League One despite having the biggest budget in L1 history. 

How did he avoid getting us relegated ?

8 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i agree,but if he can`t see what`s going wrong then he won`t get us anywhere,needs to shorten the field positional wise,teams are hitting us on the break and running into that lovely space we give them

I got told this when I was a 15 year old school boy player - “ When we have the ball make the pitch as big as you can, when they have the ball make the pitch as small as you can “. 
Basic football tactics, that was 50 plus years ago.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Did we have the ‘biggest budget in L1 history? ‘

How was that measured?

It was reported on at the time, I don’t have the info to hand. It was measured by wages and net spend, from memory. 

15 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Eddie howe had much better players to work with than what we have. He also brought In proven ready made players like wood, the Brazilian lad, Dan burn, Trippier etc. Jdt can only really bring In potential 

We've bought players from Crewe, Lincoln, Peterboro, Coventry, Hibs and Barnsley in recent months and added them to young lads from the Academy.

This is not a recipe for promotion and to me, indicates no real intent. Whatever the new coach has been promised he'll reach that same conclusion too, probably before his 3 years are up. 

In the meantime he'll have to park the bus, we're conceding at an alarming rate.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, J*B said:

That 94M made a big difference. 

In the long run we’re all dead. Life is short and many of us older fans don’t have long. I’m not interested in another “project” that may or may not work years ahead. I wanted a manager who would do a Cooper or a Howe or the Barnsley bloke and make a big difference. At the moment all I see is the same old. 

Sounds dubious to me. Bigger budgets to when Wolves, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich etc were down there?

We certainly got lucky with a poor division, especially when compared to who’s down there now. But an enormous budget? Bigger than anything *ever* seen before at that level? Not sure.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I got told this when I was a 15 year old school boy player - “ When we have the ball make the pitch as big as you can, when they have the ball make the pitch as small as you can “. 
Basic football tactics, that was 50 plus years ago.

it is`nt a simple game anymore,used to be two banks of four and two attackers,if you were under pressure the second striker used to drop back in midfield to help out,nothing more basic than that,notts forest and liverpool won multiple european cups doing it ,you can say the game has changed but the principles are the same,don`t give the other side any room to play,we do the opposite and give them half a pitch full,the results are defeats against teams we should`nt be losing to

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

In the long run we’re all dead. Life is short and many of us older fans don’t have long. I’m not interested in another “project” that may or may not work years ahead. I wanted a manager who would do a Cooper or a Howe or the Barnsley bloke and make a big difference. At the moment all I see is the same old. 

Come on Jim, you know full well it doesn’t work like that. Whether or not you get to see promotion makes no odds to anyone but yourself.

In interview one GB mentioned the project and he has maintained it since  

In interview one JDT mentioned the project and he has maintained it since.

That is the reality. They’re not trying to get promoted this year, or likely next year. They’re trying to build something over time so that when we do get promoted, we are in the best position to be so. 

Slow builds in the Championship lead to you chasing your tail year after year, especially with 6/7/8/9 clubs having some kind of parachute payment, crowds of 20k+

You can get lucky, a season out of nowhere etc. But generally speaking we will be treading water. It’s been a decade now and we are as far away as ever.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

Come on Jim, you know full well it doesn’t work like that. Whether or not you get to see promotion makes no odds to anyone but yourself.

In interview one GB mentioned the project and he has maintained it since  

In interview one JDT mentioned the project and he has maintained it since.

That is the reality. They’re not trying to get promoted this year, or likely next year. They’re trying to build something over time so that when we do get promoted, we are in the best position to be so. 

Isn't that the same rhetoric that Mowbray came out with? We can't build because there's no sustained squad building.  It's a revolving door. I'm fully behind jdt because he doesn't bullshit like the previous manager.  Jdt needs to learn fast though. He's used to winning which is why I fully believed and still do to some extent that we can get promotion or at least the playoffs this season 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Slow builds in the Championship lead to you chasing your tail year after year, especially with 6/7/8/9 clubs having some kind of parachute payment, crowds of 20k+

You can get lucky, a season out of nowhere etc. But generally speaking we will be treading water. It’s been a decade now and we are as far away as ever.

What other option do they have, out of interest?

They can’t spend any more than what we are used to spending because of FFP. As far as I’m concerned there’s only one viable way out of this league and that’s what they’re trying to do: Year on year improvement until you can compete.