BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 3/9/22

Just now, roverandout said:

Isn't that the same rhetoric that Mowbray came out with? We can't build because there's no sustained squad building.  It's a revolving door. I'm fully behind jdt because he doesn't bullshit like the previous manager.  Jdt needs to learn fast though. He's used to winning which is why I fully believed and still do to some extent that we can get promotion or at least the playoffs this season 

It’s exactly the same as Mowbray, because as I’ve just said in the post below for me that is the only way out of this league. The difference is I didn’t have faith in Waggott, Park and Mowbray to achieve that goal. I didn’t see any improvement. I do have faith in GB and JDT. 

• Like 1

No option, in reality.. We threw away a position at the top table at the very worst time, we lost 10k fans and the game has completely transformed since financially. 

I’ve accepted our fate that non withstanding some miracle, treading water in the second division is the best it’s going to be - looks as if many others still haven’t found my place of zen and actually expect this ‘slow build’ of largely lower league signings and academy players to somehow end up with a ‘sustainable PL club’ as per the latest club strap line.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

What other option do they have, out of interest?

They can’t spend any more than what we are used to spending because of FFP. As far as I’m concerned there’s only one viable way out of this league and that’s what they’re trying to do: Year on year improvement until you can compete. 

Other options? Working with what you have and making it more competitive and more organised and bloody hard to beat. It can be done if the manager has something about him like the examples provided. You’ve been well and truly taken in by the corporate spin

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Other options? Working with what you have and making it more competitive and more organised and bloody hard to beat. It can be done if the manager has something about him like the examples provided. You’ve been well and truly taken in by the corporate spin

Even if that happened, I don’t think the club is set up for it. We’d get promoted and be Bournemouth’d every week. 

I actually think the ideology from GB is the one we should be taking. Improve each year, try to develop our own players so that we don’t need to buy a full team, try to “create value” (improve players, sell them, improve the team). 

The only rationale I can find for not selling BBD this window is because they thought it would be at such a detriment to the team it would put the “journey” under too much pressure. 

It's a tough one with Pickering as you can't fault his commitment or work rate, but sadly he's not got the attributes to be a championship player. He's slow, very poor technically, poor in offensive positions, and not particularly physically strong or good defensively either. 

The alternative is Edun who is not even at the level of Pickering. Both are lower league players. 

20 minutes ago, J*B said:

They can’t spend any more than what we are used to spending because of FFP. As far as I’m concerned there’s only one viable way out of this league and that’s what they’re trying to do: Year on year improvement until you can compete. 

It won’t work because the minute you get a decent player they’re taken off you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J*B said:

I actually think the ideology from GB is the one we should be taking. Improve each year, try to develop our own players so that we don’t need to buy a full team, try to “create value” (improve players, sell them, improve the team). 

Which is all very laudable, but as DoF he also knows we have to get results. He is JDT's manager. If JDT is not doing his job properly it will be up to GB to recommend pulling the trigger. I very much doubt that he will agree with your assertion that avoiding relegation for the next year or two is the summit of our ambitions. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

7 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

It's a tough one with Pickering as you can't fault his commitment or work rate, but sadly he's not got the attributes to be a championship player. He's slow, very poor technically, poor in offensive positions, and not particularly physically strong or good defensively either. 

The alternative is Edun who is not even at the level of Pickering. Both are lower league players. 

thought he did ok yesterday,we lost it in midfield,wharton finding out the game is`nt easy sometimes,morton not being sure of his role and jdt`s team shape giving far to much room for the counter attack

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 47er said:

I suppose most people have read it but, imo, this is a pretty accurate summation of where we are:

.https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-transfer-question-concerning-24924766

That’s a fair article and as close to the truth of yesterday’s performance and overall goings on at ewood as you can write .

I do worry that Pickerings lack of attacking ability  is going to give us the same problems left side Ryan gave us on the right. Until he gets both full back positions sorted , and by sorted I mean with adequate cover, then I struggle to see how his system is going to work.

The worrying thing for me is I don’t see another way of playing with the young, relatively weak personnel we have at our disposal so the only option I see is to stick with the system , help the players grow and learn and absolutely get the next two transfer windows bang on. Adequate cover for the wing backs, a tough cm, a bowler/dembele type and an out and out Adam Armstrong goalscorer. It’s no good bringing through all these good young footballers if they aren’t supported with some men around them. There is simply two many young , slight, boys on the pitch playing in a man’s league and JDT needs to get the balance and blend right 

That’s why I said I will give him a seasons grace because there is so much potential but so many problems that need working on or completely fixing.

Ultimately getting the right personnel and system to come together is what we are all hoping JDT will do and I think it will be pretty clear within 12 months if he is the right man for the job or not but for now he has my faith and I look forward to seeing it all come together but make no mistake this is going to be a tough, long season which requires patience. 

Edited by Oldgregg86

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think that’s the biggest problem. It remains to be seen how the Phillips situation develops, but if he signs for a premier league team and we lose him for peanuts, it is a hammer blow.

It was good to see Buckley extend his contract and others such as Travis have been tied down. Possibly the Wharton brothers next, which gives m a degree of comfort. 

25 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Decent squads get promoted from this league. We need to start selling our best players when they’re at their highest values and reinvest into the full squad. We have a good first eleven and then some bog average squad players. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Another “project” then 

If you listen from the moment Gregg Broughton and Jon Dahl Tomasson's first ever interviews at Rovers, they said then it's a project and how they would do. Every interview JDT does he keeps saying project and it why he came here cos of the project and what was involved in it. They have been very open with the plan from minute 1 and how they will move our club forward, so I don't know why any fan doesn't clearly understand this. 

This team is a work in progress and will get better game by game under JDT where we are more consist in terms of performance and result. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

I’m not sure about that. I would expect a good manager to lmprove a struggling team instantly. Eddie Howe is an example. At the moment all I see is the old faults and weaknesses of Mowbray’s team - possibly worse.  Reading provided a template for other managers to beat this  soft Rovers team. Tomasson has to overcome that, and soon. I’d say there’s  a big question mark over him already. 

You have mentioned Eddie Howe improve a struggling team instantly, but you actually look at the results they won 2 games in his first 10 games with wins against Dingles and Leeds, but also including a home loss in the FA cup to Cambridge. 

What big question mark over JDT and why can you not understand what JDT and GB are trying to do with team and in the coming years? surely, they should be given some proper patience and time from fans whilst this project grows and develop under them? 

4 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

The opposite is happening. That's 4 defeats from the last 5 games. 

Yet - predictably - we’ve had some good performances and some bad performances. We’re sixth in the league at the moment. We will finish bottom half because we don’t have enough depth in our squad. Hopefully we get one over on the Dingles. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Which is all very laudable, but as DoF he also knows we have to get results. He is JDT's manager. If JDT is not doing his job properly it will be up to GB to recommend pulling the trigger. I very much doubt that he will agree with your assertion that avoiding relegation for the next year or two is the summit of our ambitions. 

I think you’ll find GB has stated things will take time. 

This season i feel will be case of 1 win, 3 losses then a draw…I’m happy with that & waiting to see who comes in on the next few windows. If it comes to this time next season and we’re at the same level then ‘maybe’ we should be slightly worried.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

As Matty Blue says ---it won't work. Philips isn't going to hang around for 5 years while various plans for the future by each new manager are announced is he? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

One win in five, one draw in five? So happy with relegation then?

relegation won`t be an issue,we have enough to see off the likes of blackpool,pne,birmingham and the like,bridging the gap between the very useful sides will take longer,a lot longer if jdt does`nt realise the team shape is wrong

1 minute ago, 47er said:

As Matty Blue says ---it won't work. Philips isn't going to hang around for 5 years while various plans for the future by each new manager are announced is he? 

No, but I don’t understand that to be the plan. I think they hope to sell him for 20 million quid in 2.5 years and buy 2 or 3 quality players for the squad. 

13 minutes ago, J*B said:

Yet - predictably - we’ve had some good performances and some bad performances. We’re sixth in the league at the moment. We will finish bottom half because we don’t have enough depth in our squad. Hopefully we get one over on the Dingles. 

We're 6 points above the relegation zone. 4 points if Boro win their game in hand. 

We'll be in the relegation zone in a matter of weeks if we carry on winning 1 game out of 5. 

Lots of complacency about, especially as we don't yet know if the manager is a total dud. 

• Like 3