BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 3/9/22

When we’ve lost, opposition fans have been in rapture: “That’s the best we’ve played in months”………..etc.
We are making average teams look impressive…..that’s the depressing thing for me.

Edited by tonyoz
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, DanielMB said:

A lot of people on this board really needs to get a grip. We have just changed most of our sporting setup after 5 years with the same manager. A lot of players just left and we got some new ones in. Ffs!!! People already saying JDT is out of his depth. Give the man some time ffs. Its not like we lost all of our games. We are currently in the playoff places. Support the manager,

Injuries to three first team defenders too. There’s no way we aren’t conceding goals weekly with that back line.

But the club should still have invested more in the team given how many players had left. The squad was short of goals last season, and a good left back.

• Like 1

Further reflections on yesterday's game (my first at Ewood this season, and clearly a different perspective from seeing it online or on the tv):

1) As several posters have pointed out, playing out from the back is a dangerous game if you don't have the players to progress beyond half way, as it simply gives the ball back to the opposition, cheaply and predictably. We saw yesterday how this just invites teams to exploit the clear weaknesses in our approach

2) Travis, for all his enthusiasm and commitment, is a liability in a defensive role. Almost guaranteed to be booked, and quite easily skinned by any attacking player with decent feet. His most effective role is as a DM breaking up opposition attacks, something we have missed recently. Can't blame the player, but it is an obvious weakness in the side.

3) Pickering is very limited and adds very little to the shape of the side. Combined with Travis' flaws at right back, this makes us easy to pick off at the back.

4) Hyam and Carter looked solid at the back. Hyam in particular looks like he's been a Rover for donkey's years and brings a Faz-like approach to the team.

5) We have the players to hurt the opposition, but we seem too anxious to find the killer pass all of the time, rather than playing safe passes and retaining possession. Fans remember results far longer than we do tactics, and at the moment it would be preferable to be grinding out points unspectacularly rather than always going for glory. Yes we want to be entertained, but we also resent making it too easy for the opposition to take games away from us.

6) We need a calm head in the centre to hold the ball, pick passes and to support our younger less experienced players. Relying on youth is not the answer against the battle scarred and wily opposition we will come up against week in, week out in this division. Not yet, in any case..

Bristol City weren't miles better than us on the day, just better. Their passing was more accurate, their attacking threat more incisive and aggressive and their calmness at the back more reliable. Rovers need to have a few dull games where everything is snuffed out but nothing dramatic happens to undermine confidence, and then start building on the qualities evident in our centre-backs, using the ball more effectively from midfield and capitalising on chances at the sharp end.

It wasn't a great day out, but it was worth the admission price and there is scope for better times ahead. 

We need to match Wigan (I can't believe I've actually written that!) and out-think them tactically, hoping for something special from the tank from the likes of Dack and BBD to give us the edge.

COYB!

I really don't understand this obsession with slagging Pickering off, it was prominent on the match day thread yesterday and he had a decent game, he's far from our main problem at the moment. I lost count of the number of attacks he setup, he linked up really well with Diaz in the first half and defended well. I think the problem with him is, he can't attack and defend at the same time, he needs cover in behind him and that was lacking at times, new formations eh......

If we had pots of cash yes I'd look to replace him, but I'd replace one of two others in the sqaud first, Pickering is the least of our problems right now. 

48 minutes ago, DanielMB said:

A lot of people on this board really needs to get a grip. We have just changed most of our sporting setup after 5 years with the same manager. A lot of players just left and we got some new ones in. Ffs!!! People already saying JDT is out of his depth. Give the man some time ffs. Its not like we lost all of our games. We are currently in the playoff places. Support the manager,

I think a lot of it it is heat of the moment. I tend to get up the following day and re-think my thought to agreement with you.

But at the same time the manor of our losses is a worry. We won’t go down, but we won’t make the top half IMO.

Patience is key, & I’m happy to wait. It’s still refreshing to hear JDT even after a loss. I’m just glad moggers isn’t here. 

Where did Farke finish his first season with Norwich? Was it 12th? Then he got them promoted the season after.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

I really don't understand this obsession with slagging Pickering off, it was prominent on the match day thread yesterday and he had a decent game, he's far from our main problem at the moment. I lost count of the number of attacks he setup, he linked up really well with Diaz in the first half and defended well. I think the problem with him is, he can't attack and defend at the same time, he needs cover in behind him and that was lacking at times, new formations eh......

If we had pots of cash yes I'd look to replace him, but I'd replace one of two others in the sqaud first, Pickering is the least of our problems right now. 

I still think left back is one of the weaker areas that needs upgrading but Pickering played well at Blackpool and was no where near our worst player yesterday. Sometimes it seems like once people have made there mind up it can’t be unchanged 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, booth said:

Injuries to three first team defenders too. There’s no way we aren’t conceding goals weekly with that back line.

But the club should still have invested more in the team given how many players had left. The squad was short of goals last season, and a good left back.

Yep! All true! Doesn't matter how positive JDT is or even how good a coach he is.

He can only work with what he's got.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Any concerns? Anything that the manager got wrong? Any worries after a 4th loss in 5? Any players that warrant dropping next week?

no concerns as yet as I understand the project that JDT and GB have spoken about and JDT has said they would be transition period and where we will win and lose over this time, but I am confidence that we will get better as the season goes on 

As I said yesterday, I wouldn't have taken off Hirst for Vale but instead taken Adam Wharton off and go 4-4-2. I agree with taken Dack off and I was surprised Hedges went off cos I thought it would be Adam Wharton. 

You say 4th loss in 5 or you could look at it as I do 4 wins in 8 league games, but I guess it all depends at how you look at the situation

I will post what my team will be in the Wigan game thread shortly. 

13 hours ago, Gav said:

I said off the pace from the first whistle to the last, which we were, you think everything in the garden is rosy right now, I question if your seat faces the pitch to be honest chaddy as the alarm bells are ringing loudly, why can't you hear them?

which is totally wrong given we have 2 very good chances in the first 5 minutes, so you first comment is just wrong! Simple as Gav! 

Everything isn't rosy in the garden, and no one has said that including our head coach JDT who has repeating said since the start of the season we will have good and bad times as we go through this transition ph

ase, but we have a plan and I think we get stronger and more consist as time go on in the season under JDT. Maybe you can't see that or don't want to see that. 

I don't hear any alarm bells from my seat in the Blackburn End cos I can see where JDT and GB want to move this club forward so maybe try to understand the project that is happening here.  

8 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I still think left back is one of the weaker areas that needs upgrading but Pickering played well at Blackpool and was no where near our worst player yesterday. Sometimes it seems like once people have made there mind up it can’t be unchanged 

I agree with this, I have a much bigger issue on the other side that if Brittain is unavailable we have a back up of JRC, Travis or Buckley. 

The Trav at right back is a double blow due to missing his steel in the middle.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

no concerns as yet as I understand the project that JDT and GB have spoken about and JDT has said they would be transition period and where we will win and lose over this time, but I am confidence that we will get better as the season goes on 

Exactly 

• Like 1

Poor…..…..but what concerns me more is the fact that JDT continued with a futile line of attack…not working in the 10th minute, the 40th minute, the 80th ..yes, he changed the personnel ..but not the system..it was failed attack after failed attack…and defensively we were so exposed.

Travis is NOT a full back.. and there were times today when I questioned whether he was a footballer….shocking first touch, dire positioning , wreck less.

Pickering..a decent 45 …then reverted to type..slow, no forward ball , not championship standard

Wharton and Morton are obviously footballers and the best is yet to come ..but, currently, without additional steel in there with them , they are exposed..as happened yesterday, time and again .

Dack was too deep ( plan or …does he find the game easier there )?? …because of this offered no support to Hirst. …surprised to see him subbed on 45.

Hedges had good and bad moments …takes a long time to sort out his feet….opportunities then pass him by.

We had some Brereton and we had some Diaz…took his goal well

Hirst…had great opportunity in the opening minutes…had that gone in ??

The score line flattered us …they were much better in every area of the park…I believe this season will be one of good and dark days whilst a new philosophy/ system takes shape …

but I want more steel, more leadership and a defensive set up  which makes us hard to beat…these are prerequisites …and I look for more from JDT ..he cannot continue with a system for 90 mins when it’s obvious it does not work .

• Like 1

It's very difficult. Between a rock and hard place, we don't have the ability to pass out from the back but we don't have the imposing personnel to be able to play long ball tactics. 

I think we made a few decent signings but we need top players in every area. 

I think the lads need to go and have a tea spoon of cement and harden the fuck up too.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cesus said:

I agree with this, I have a much bigger issue on the other side that if Brittain is unavailable we have a back up of JRC, Travis or Buckley. 

The Trav at right back is a double blow due to missing his steel in the middle.

We've been having these right back issues for years though it seems the Ewood policy is have a first choice but then draft in anybody or everybody as back up.

43 minutes ago, Gav said:

It got to the point yesterday where the Riverside was shouting “forwards!” every time he got the ball such is his tendency to go back inside to Hyam. He was a standout league two player and hasn’t improved. I hope Mola can play…

• Like 6

There was little criticism of Mowbray inside the ground either even at the end of last season so Tomasson is always likely to get an easy ride there. The concern for me is that we are still a “soft” side, a team they can be bullied and outfought easily. Teams press us hard and we just concede goals. Appleton for Blackpool for some reason hadn’t worked it out otherwise we’d be looking at 5 straight defeats

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy612 said:

Less than 48 hours before this post you lambasted me for daring to question why our strikeforce won't tear up the divison... I quote "But hey look you just stick with the negative outlook on this one." 

Seems a bit hypocritical now doesn't it?

In fact, here was your original quote on Thursday.... "The ingredients are there, this division is shite, we really are a left back and a midfield general away from the Premier League imo. Top class keeper, solid centre halves now, talented but young midfield and a front line that can tear up this division." 

Gone from PL in waiting to absoutely not up to it and substandard in many positions, from Thursday night to Saturday afternoon 😂😂😂😂

Waited in the long grass did you?

You are missing my point completely and that's fine, you clearly want to carry the grudge because we had a back and forth. I stand by what I said on both occasions. You do realise our strike force scored 2 again yesterday and one got an assist too? Soon as we take one step forward it's two steps back. Do I think we could get promoted with a quality midfielder that grabs game by the scruff and battles and fights and dictates games and a left back who doesn't get skint 20 times a game and looks frightened to death anytime someone goes at him? Yeah I definitely do. But guess what? We are substandard in those positions and it makes the difference between top 6 and and maybe 12th to 16th.

Nothing I said was negative, what I saw Saturday was very deflating and sometimes it's just a case of facing reality. A weakness in one area can hinder your promotion ambitions nevermind two. 

Have a good Sunday pal. Hopefully next week a few more bodies will be back and we go again and get a result and who knows.

A carbon copy of the Stoke game yesteday, sluggish start scrappy giving the ball away far to much for my liking and the game was over before we decided to give it a go. Lets not go over the top on criticism we had debutants who were probably nervy there first game and youngsters still in the learning process.Lets stay 100% behind JDT, like he said it will take more than 1 season to put his team together. When we turn up and get into top gear were a match for any team.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

A carbon copy of the Stoke game yesteday, sluggish start scrappy giving the ball away far to much for my liking and the game was over before we decided to give it a go. Lets not go over the top on criticism we had debutants who were probably nervy there first game and youngsters still in the learning process.Lets stay 100% behind JDT, like he said it will take more than 1 season to put his team together. When we turn up and get into top gear were a match for any team.

Another “project” then 

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Another “project” then 

Yep, apart from this ship isn’t being steered by Tony and Swag.

I said when he took over I would be happy to give them 3 years and what my 3 year plan (assess, improve, compete) would be. As far as I’m concerned this season is JDTs opportunity to review the players. As long as he doesn’t get us relegated it’s fine. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

There was little criticism of Mowbray inside the ground either even at the end of last season so Tomasson is always likely to get an easy ride there. The concern for me is that we are still a “soft” side, a team they can be bullied and outfought easily. Teams press us hard and we just concede goals. Appleton for Blackpool for some reason hadn’t worked it out otherwise we’d be looking at 5 straight defeats

For some reason a Mowbray interview regarding their transfer window the other day popped up on my facebook.  Reading it was genuinely hilarious it was a complete cut and paste from his first few days here and Boro and Coventry.

The man really is all talk priming the Sunland fans for the exact same journey it really was almost word for word identical to what he said here.

Whatever is happening at the min i'm really glad we've moved on from that and Tomasson himself has said it wasn't good enough.  Mentioned the missing players and inexperience but didn't go over the top waffling on with excuse after excuse.

• Like 2

When we have won games this season the front four rotation was key as we pressed and worked extremely hard. There wasn't as much evidence of this yesterday and last Saturday as the front formation was far more rigid. In the first half we had very little ahead of Travis on the right and the balance didn't feel right. An example was that Brereton was isolated on the left touchline for the majority of the game which culminated in him only have 40 touches of the ball. As he is our best chance of a goal he should be far more involved in than that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Only when we score first.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

Yep, apart from this ship isn’t being steered by Tony and Swag.

I said when he took over I would be happy to give them 3 years and what my 3 year plan (assess, improve, compete) would be. As far as I’m concerned this season is JDTs opportunity to review the players. As long as he doesn’t get us relegated it’s fine. 

I’m not sure about that. I would expect a good manager to lmprove a struggling team instantly. Eddie Howe is an example. At the moment all I see is the old faults and weaknesses of Mowbray’s team - possibly worse.  Reading provided a template for other managers to beat this  soft Rovers team. Tomasson has to overcome that, and soon. I’d say there’s  a big question mark over him already. 

• Like 1