BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 3/9/22

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How terrible were the corners again today? Stupid routines including the one to the edge of the box in the first half and the numerous short ones in the second, none of which we ever looked like scoring from. The managers responsibility.

Read something where some data concluded the likeliness of scoring a whipped in corner is 3% but 6% of short corners end in a goal. I for one am happy the club semi to be adopting a data led approach, especially considering Hyam/Ayala are the only capable ones of scoring a header anyway.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

That was the second home game in a row that I’ve walked out early. The scoreline flattered us.

The midfield was once again major issue. You could have drove a 747 through it today. I honestly believe it’s down to the way we’re set up. We’re far too wide as a unit. We also created very little. 

If things don’t change, we’re in a relegation battle. JDT is increasingly looking like he’s out of his depth. I get the sense he’s trying to play something the squad isn’t capable of. 

45 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

There are huge gaps where our midfield should be when we don't have the ball. We are so easily overrun. 

Again, that's down to the tactics employed. 

I’ll qualify this by admitting that I’ve only seen 2 games so far this season (the other being WBA) so it’s probably not fair to judge too harshly, but I thought today’s game was very similar to watching us under Ince - trying to play football the ‘right’ way, some fantastic bits of interplay and great to watch on the ball when it clicks (see both of our goals), however no real discipline on team shape, not close enough to the opposition out of possession and not a tackle anywhere in the team - all of which means we are wide open to play against and far to easy to break on.
I can unfortunately see us losing far more than we win this season 

However, listening to Kevin Gallacher on the way home on BBC Lancs, he reckoned it was just a bad day at the office and a poor performance, rather than anything tactically wrong, so hopefully he’s right and my fears are unfounded 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Realistic Rover said:

Everyone’s golden boy but I’m not afraid to say it. Travis is sh1te. Only good at tackling, has no other strings to his bow. Worst passer of a football I have ever seen. 

He was hopeless today but I'm not going to write him based on one very poor game out of position. Thought we could've used him in midfield today with one of the youngsters.

• Like 3

On another note, not sure where this post goes here we go.

I go blues bar pre-match after game, have done for last few seasons.

I noted beer prices had increased this season, but it is what is is, well I thought until today.

I ordered a jug of Dark fruit, and was told £19.20.  I little perplexed why it had increased by £1.20 since the last match. I checked the tariff chart, which is a legal requirement to be displayed in all establishments which serve alcohol and is also a legal requirement to the licencees licence for compliance.

Upon reading the tariff which had my total drinks price at £18, I challenged the bar manager, and reminded him of the legal requirements and asked for an explanation.

In fairness to him, straight he away he stated he knew it was Illegal, had challenged the club over this when they put the prices up today, without changing/displaying the new tariff. 

He immediately ripped down the 3 tariff posters down (baring in mind its a legal requirement to display this)

I was quite annoyed, that the prices had again increased, but also despite the non -compliancy which can end in a big fine, and sanctions, they felt it was okay to continue over-charging.

Above may look trivial, but everyone who has gone in a very busy blues bar today has been shortchanged.

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Just seen our 2nd goal as I had left by that point. It reminds me to question why is Brereton played so wide now. He’s more left mid than an attacker. He’s almost glued to the touchline at times.

He's done that before though early in games particularly away from home so nothing new in it imo

5 minutes ago, Realistic Rover said:

Read something where some data concluded the likeliness of scoring a whipped in corner is 3% but 6% of short corners end in a goal. I for one am happy the club semi to be adopting a data led approach, especially considering Hyam/Ayala are the only capable ones of scoring a header anyway.

It's not the short corners specifically that bothers me, it is the actual routines. The short pass, receive back and then float in a ball to be easily headed away at the front post was repeated numerous times to the point that in the end we didn't even get a cross in. Also that rubbish floater to the edge of the box (think Pedersen to Tugay but shit) in the first half which doesn't even lead to the ball entering the box and was on show a couple of times earlier in the season. The actual routines throughout this season have abysmal, and that goes back to the training ground.

We actually had some extra height in Hirst too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

I’ll qualify this by admitting that I’ve only seen 2 games so far this season (the other being WBA) so it’s probably not fair to judge too harshly, but I thought today’s game was very similar to watching us under Ince - trying to play football the ‘right’ way, some fantastic bits of interplay and great to watch on the ball when it clicks (see both of our goals), however no real discipline on team shape, not close enough to the opposition out of possession and not a tackle anywhere in the team - all of which means we are wide open to play against and far to easy to break on.
I can unfortunately see us losing far more than we win this season 

However, listening to Kevin Gallacher on the way home on BBC Lancs, he reckoned it was just a bad day at the office and a poor performance, rather than anything tactically wrong, so hopefully he’s right and my fears are unfounded 

You’re not far wrong from what you’ve seen. As a season ticket holder, I think you’re bang on with your summary.

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Considering that both the performance and result was crap, did no individual warrant any criticism from you?

My summary is fair and explained the game I has saw it. If you disagree with my summary that is fine by me but I am not going to single any player for any particular criticism tonight. 

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Aside from one pass to Brereton, Vale was typically ineffective.

What does he do well? Slow, weak, technically poor, not a goal threat.

Not his fault, just playing well, well above his level.

I have already explained what I said he did well just like his Blackpool game performance. His link up is decent enough, played one good pass and some good overall touches, plus his movement. Should have done better with his chance. If you disagree that fine by me just like I completely disagree with comments about Hirst performance 

44 minutes ago, Gav said:

We were battered today, off the pace from the first whistle, surely you recognise that?

I guess that is his point.

Off the pace from the final whistle despite us creating a chance in the first few minutes of the game. Another comment that is wrong

12 minutes ago, Realistic Rover said:

More pressing for us, the chances of scoring a corner that hits the first man  stands at 0%

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

My summary is fair and explained the game I has saw it. If you disagree with my summary that is fine by me but I am not going to single any player for any particular criticism tonight. 

I have already explained what I said he did well just like his Blackpool game performance. His link up is decent enough, played one good pass and some good overall touches, plus his movement. Should have done better with his chance. If you disagree that fine by me just like I completely disagree with comments about Hirst performance 

Off the pace from the final whistle despite us creating a chance in the first few minutes of the game. Another comment that is wrong

Any concerns? Anything that the manager got wrong? Any worries after a 4th loss in 5? Any players that warrant dropping next week?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

I was very confused about that goal. But watching it back the ball had crossed the line when Kaminski “saved” the second effort. Ref will have blown as soon as the goal line technology beeped in his ear or whatever it does. 

That makes sense now. I didn't remotely think it had crossed the line but I was very far away. I was fuming at the time and shouted some serious expletives...but if what you say is true then fair enough 

• Like 1

I really hope JDT will be successful here but he needs to have a re-think about how we're going to win games on a consistent basis. If he thinks we'll be successful by passing teams off the pitch then he won't last long. At the moment, the way he sets us up reminds me of how Henning Berg set us up. 

Mowbray ditched the idea of us playing passing football as he knew that wasn't how we were going to compete well in this league. 

For me, he needs to focus on making us hard to beat by going 3 at the back and putting Trav back in midfield. Tyler Morton, who will never be good enough for Liverpool btw, needs to be dropped. 

I do fear for JDT. I know many will say its for too early but the performances are so bad, I can see fans turning on him pretty quickly. He looks tactically inept to me so far. I'd say 50/50 as to whether he's here by Xmas. As I've said in the past, I always feel the best managers we've had have always come in and instantly made us much more solid and hard to beat. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Players I feel are not up to standard. Kaminski (distribution is woeful) Pickering (too slow) Carter(league 1) Travis(league 1) Gallagher(League 1) Vale(League 1) Rankin Costello(League 1) Edun (League 1). Get rid of that dead wood and upgrade them and see where we are then.

A bit unfair on Travis as he's a decent midfielder at that level, just not a fullback, but I'm glad to see that someone else thinks Pickering and Carter should be nowhere near the first team.

1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

I really hope JDT will be successful here but he needs to have a re-think about how we're going to win games on a consistent basis. If he thinks we'll be successful by passing teams off the pitch then he won't last long. At the moment, the way he sets us up reminds me of how Henning Berg set us up. 

Mowbray ditched the idea of us playing passing football as he knew that wasn't how we were going to compete well in this league. 

For me, he needs to focus on making us hard to beat by going 3 at the back and putting Trav back in midfield. Tyler Morton, who will never be good enough for Liverpool btw, needs to be dropped. 

I do fear for JDT. I know many will say its for too early but the performances are so bad, I can see fans turning on him pretty quickly. He looks tactically inept to me so far. I'd say 50/50 as to whether he's here by Xmas. As I've said in the past, I always feel the best managers we've had have always come in and instantly made us much more solid and hard to beat. 

The problem we have is if we don’t play out from the back we will lose the ball anyway because we do t have anyone big and strong to win it. Gallagher and brereton are our only hopes and compared to most cb on this league we won’t win much. We need some proper men in the team

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I said off the pace from the first whistle to the last, which we were, you think everything in the garden is rosy right now, I question if your seat faces the pitch to be honest chaddy as the alarm bells are ringing loudly, why can't you hear them?

• Like 5