BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yep that first goal took some scoring. He was second best right from the off but he made it into a goal. He’s running with the ball from out wide. The defenders are running without the ball and straight up the pitch.

Also I get the feeling he’s been playing less than 100 % fit but he’s never took a backward step. We had a real captain on the pitch yesterday. It ‘s great when you’re in a jam and you have a player like that. “ Just give it to Sammi, he’ll do something with it “ ! Like Dougie in the old days.

An even better goal when you factor in the number of touches he had to make at that speed, any of them less than perfect and he gets caught.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

An even better goal when you factor in the number of touches he had to make at that speed, any of them less than perfect and he gets caught.

For me it was not how he got there, it was the calmness of the finish when he got in the box. A life lesson for most people. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i love sammie,nearly as much as tugay,hendry,jansen and garner❤️

I’m sure this will be a controversial (and insignificant) an opinion but for all Szmodic’s goals and effort, I find his on-field antics a bit distasteful. Others will love it, as they loved it when Savage, Diouf (though, not sure he was in their league of wind-ups) and others were up to it. I find it especially cringeworthy given how pathetic a team we have been.

That said, he deserves all the credit for his goals and saving us from relegation. His effort in harrying opposition players was always great. I’ll remember him fondly but not in my pantheon!

Edited by riverholmes
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I’m sure this will be a controversial (and insignificant) an opinion but for all Szmodic’s goals and effort, I find his on-field antics a bit distasteful. Others will love it, as they loved it when Savage, Diouf (though, not sure he was in their league of wind-ups) and others were up to it. I find it especially cringeworthy given how pathetic a team we have been.

That said, he deserves all the credit for his goals and saving us from relegation. His effort in harrying opposition players was always great. I’ll remember him fondly but not in my pantheon!

more unfounded than controversial.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i love sammie,nearly as much as tugay,hendry,jansen and garner❤️

Seconded. I’m really going to miss him. Great professional and a very good player at this level. Saving us from League 1 isn’t the most exciting achievement but in effect it’s like winning a cup final imo. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Adam C said:

Seconded. I’m really going to miss him. Great professional and a very good player at this level. Saving us from League 1 isn’t the most exciting achievement but in effect it’s like winning a cup final imo. 

He did it entirely on his own.

8 hours ago, Upside Down said:

He did it entirely on his own.

More or less. I can’t recall a player doing more on his own to pull the team through. David Speedie is the nearest one I can think of but he had a lot of support from his team mates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

More or less. I can’t recall a player doing more on his own to pull the team through. David Speedie is the nearest one I can think of but he had a lot of support from his team mates.

I see Szmodics as a diluted version of Vardy. Came through via a tough schooling in non league, worked his way up through the leagues and grabbed his opportunity with both hands. Neither have been cosseted in academies and only know hard graft. Szmodics' attitude was exemplified by incidents at Sunderland and at home to Coventry. He went down injured and had lengthy treatment both times. Nobody expected him to play on but he did when many would have bailed out. That attitude is a big part of my respect towards him.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Speedie had Newell to convert the penalty for him.

Who does Szmodics have?

The Labore in Arte et Labore goes a long way with us Rovers fans, and as many have posted this is why I'll remember him fondly. Needless to say, we saw a ridiculous amount of 'Arte' too, especially this season, which is why he'll be moving up the leagues this summer.

I think it really started to kick into gear for him in the Sheffield United Cup QF away. Scored a lovely goal in front of us and never really looked back after that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I see Szmodics as a diluted version of Vardy. Came through via a tough schooling in non league, worked his way up through the leagues and grabbed his opportunity with both hands. Neither have been cosseted in academies and only know hard graft. Szmodics' attitude was exemplified by incidents at Sunderland and at home to Coventry. He went down injured and had lengthy treatment both times. Nobody expected him to play on but he did when many would have bailed out. That attitude is a big part of my respect towards him.

Looking at the strapping he was wearing on Saturday he can’t have been 100% fit but you would have never known it just watching him.

He’s known the dog shit training pitches and poor facilities. So you value it more when you get to a better place. The kids coming through the academy don’t know the rough side of football.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

Now the dust has settled and you can finally relax after what has been a horror show of a season, it sounds daft to say, but it's only really fully sinking in what this man has done for the club.

For about 15 minutes on Saturday the club felt like it was knife edge, the trap door was open.

Like a few have said, if we'd have gone down, we'd have stayed down for a long time - a financial disaster and a disaster for the fan base that we may have never recovered from.

That run for the first goal, I keep re-watching it, he's literally single handedly kept the club alive (for now at least), it's bloody massive...

The fact that he's a "very nice guy" too, a proper personality, makes it even better - he'll be sorely missed.

Get the statue built, or surely there's a new cul-de-sac that needs a name? Or perhaps name the Blues Bar after him and make sure it sells Moretti on draft. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Groundhog said:

Now the dust has settled and you can finally relax after what has been a horror show of a season, it sounds daft to say, but it's only really fully sinking in what this man has done for the club.

For about 15 minutes on Saturday the club felt like it was knife edge, the trap door was open.

Like a few have said, if we'd have gone down, we'd have stayed down for a long time - a financial disaster and a disaster for the fan base that we may have never recovered from.

That run for the first goal, I keep re-watching it, he's literally single handedly kept the club alive (for now at least), it's bloody massive...

The fact that he's a "very nice guy" too, a proper personality, makes it even better - he'll be sorely missed.

Get the statue built, or surely there's a new cul-de-sac that needs a name? Or perhaps name the Blues Bar after him and make sure it sells Moretti on draft. 

It’s £6-00 a pint where I drink.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Looking at the strapping he was wearing on Saturday he can’t have been 100% fit but you would have never known it just watching him.

I don't think he's been 100% fit for several weeks, and kept expecting him to break down and our season be over. So whilst I was dreading it turning to be a bad decision to keep him on the pitch at all times (bizarrely even at 4-0 up when he had clearly taken a knock, and at 5-0 down), his application, selflessness and persistence are unlike anything I've seen here since probably Dickov. The man loves playing football, and I hope he loves it as much at his next club. He deserves his move, and as long as he doesn't force us into accepting a lowball offer (probably won't be any forcing needed for this lot with their track record though), he'll leave with the blessing of all Rovers fans. Which isn't all that common.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

Wouldn’t surprise me if they sell him cheaply and to Burnley.

What the owners do, never seems to shock me anymore. 

I think they just make it up as they go along. Not realising the outcome further down the line. 

They really don’t have a clue and with the people down in charge at Ewood not being totally “honest” with them, as they wouldn’t want to hurt their feelings on how they’ve completely fucked the club up.

As I said before, Sammie will be sold under his value and not replaced with equal/better quality.

Next season is going to be a struggle, that’s for sure.

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Szmodics was amongst the crowd watching Bolton play Barnsley last night.

He is also going to be at the Peterborough vs Oxford game tonight.  Assume with Peterborough being one of his former clubs, the League one play offs are of interest to him.