BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

20 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Thank you for confirming what I understood from the time the event occured.

It is to be hoped that the CEO apportions the credit for the award to those who facilitated it.

I will await Waggott's announcement.

From Rovers official website:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2024/april/14/rovers-scoop-fan-engagement-award-/

• Like 5

It was great work from the Trust. The fans showing that with a bit of effort and actual caring about what you're doing you can realise the massive potential that lies with this club. 

Obviously it was an initiative put forward by the Trust, Blackburn Rovers has been 100% initiative free since November 2010.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bboy said:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/blackburns-sammie-szmodics-a-good-29007512

"with all respect to Blackburn. The only way he could reach the Premier League is by getting promoted with a club like Sunderland."

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Goodman mouthing off as usual and spouting BS as usual.

Delusions of adequacy.

The man needs help, badly.

I read something on twitter about what price should Szmodics be worth. I find it imo nonsense he should go for less than 20mill. People arguing his age keeps his tag down to 10-15 mill. I'm sorry but Would Harry Kane be going for 10-15 mill because of his age? not a chance! your buying goals, your buying a player in the form of his life, your buying a player at the complete finished package of his overall game. Whether its premier league or championship, prem clubs could argue hes unproven, fine dont buy him, but hes our best asset. Championship clubs on the other hand will want him to get them promoted, that comes at a price, hes the leagues top scorer, you pay full whack for that in the championship, no matter the age, if hes bought buy a promoting chasing championship team your buying a player at his pinnacle, your buying him chasing the dream of the promisland, you pay top end simple, you dont get him cheap because we are little old blackburn who got their pants pulled down on wharton to palace, or because we are near the bottom of the league, or because hes going to be 29 this year. Give your heads a wobble, stand firm, give us the 20mill minimum because we have one of the best attacking players in this division, and we aint replacing him for any amount of money we will get given. We also need a total rebuild of our front line, so we need the dosh. We simply have to be firm. I will personally be fuming if we sell for less than 20mill. If clubs really want him, they will pay it. 

5 hours ago, ruggles1995 said:

I read something on twitter about what price should Szmodics be worth. I find it imo nonsense he should go for less than 20mill. People arguing his age keeps his tag down to 10-15 mill. I'm sorry but Would Harry Kane be going for 10-15 mill because of his age? not a chance! your buying goals, your buying a player in the form of his life, your buying a player at the complete finished package of his overall game. Whether its premier league or championship, prem clubs could argue hes unproven, fine dont buy him, but hes our best asset. Championship clubs on the other hand will want him to get them promoted, that comes at a price, hes the leagues top scorer, you pay full whack for that in the championship, no matter the age, if hes bought buy a promoting chasing championship team your buying a player at his pinnacle, your buying him chasing the dream of the promisland, you pay top end simple, you dont get him cheap because we are little old blackburn who got their pants pulled down on wharton to palace, or because we are near the bottom of the league, or because hes going to be 29 this year. Give your heads a wobble, stand firm, give us the 20mill minimum because we have one of the best attacking players in this division, and we aint replacing him for any amount of money we will get given. We also need a total rebuild of our front line, so we need the dosh. We simply have to be firm. I will personally be fuming if we sell for less than 20mill. If clubs really want him, they will pay it. 

Clubs will be looking to offer 7-8m. Rovers will probably hold out for 10m A normal club might squeeze 12-15m.

Now if we only get 7m that means we will only get £150k to spend replacing him, However if we hit the jackpot and someone comes in at 15m, then I reckon the taps will be opened and GB will get £150k to pick up the best Conference striker whose contract has expired.

Short answer is, if he is sold I don't care what we get for him it makes no difference.

• Like 1

you said before we wouldn't get 20m for Wharton but we did 

Szmodics is on a long term contract and I do we would be asking for 15m plus given he is prime of his career, scored 30 goals and is the heartbeat of our team

As good as Szmodics has been this season, he has only shown this performance level in the last 18 months at most. He's a clinical finisher and a hard worker but he's not especially quick and isn't that much of a creator. The only way a club would really get return on investment from buying Szmodics is if they got promoted to the prem as a result. To be honest I think there is a fairly decent chance he stays this summer if he doesn't angle for a move, I don't think it makes too much sense for a club to buy him for more than £10m and it would be suicidal for us to sell him at that price given how important he is to us and our history in the transfer market.

That said, we are not a normally run club and there is a high chance a bid around that amount will see waggotts eyes pop out of their sockets. Even at that stage it shouldn't be the end of the world, with that £10m we should really buy 4 players we could develop into players at Szmodics level. I have no confidence this would actually happen so yeah, try and keep him.

• Like 1

We would get £12 million at the absolute max and I think I’m being kind with that. I’m expecting £8-10 million . One things for sure he won’t be playing for rovers when the window closes 

• Like 3

On 17/04/2024 at 21:58, Oldgregg86 said:

We would get £12 million at the absolute max and I think I’m being kind with that. I’m expecting £8-10 million . One things for sure he won’t be playing for rovers when the window closes 

'Of course, we wanted to keep Sammie, and we offered him a 1% pay rise to stay, but at the end of the day, Luton are a massive club. Sammie wanted to play in the Premiership, and that's just not on the agenda here, so we sold him for £2 million to keep the lights on.'

(I'm exaggerating, I think he'll go for about 8 million same as you, and probably could go for around 10 mill if we held out a bit, which we won't)

26 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

'Of course, we wanted to keep Sammie, and we offered him a 1% pay rise to stay, but at the end of the day, Luton are a massive club. Sammie wanted to play in the Premiership, and that's just not on the agenda here, so we sold him for £2 million to keep the lights on.'

(I'm exaggerating, I think he'll go for about 8 million same as you, and probably could go for around 10 mill if we held out a bit, which we won't)

You're right, we'll take 8 million ASAP so we can maximise its use in the summer window...only to have problems landing our top targets and ending up with Jim from Rushall Olympic on deadline day.

• Like 1

I think 8 mil and i'd keep him (as a goalscorer is coming from nowhere otherwise), 15 mil+ i'd sell and reinvest (w wharton + raya cash) to make a solid squad for 2-3 years (wage budget wouldnt last longer) and take a punt at promotion. Neither will happen.

• Like 1

Having made £22m and then with a further £4-5m to come from Raya, in theory the Szmodics shouldn't be necessary in determining what happens in this window. We should already have money to spend. Obviously not £26m or anything close, but we should have at least some money to spend. So any Szmodics sale shouldn't be required to raise even more, so then in that instance, it should be a case of weighing up what is best, a decent budget and Szmodics or an even bigger budget but without our only goalscorer and knowing how difficult he becomes to replace. So I would choose the former.

Obviously it won't turn out like that, and I suspect we will be begging, stealing and borrowing even with a Szmodics sale.

• Like 2

On 18/04/2024 at 14:05, NeilInBristol said:

Great interview in LT

He is showing what he wants 

Upto the club to match his ambition

We won’t. He’ll be sold in the summer and nowt reinvested.

• Like 2

Peterborough chairman has confirmed that Posh missed out on £100k with Szmodics not announced as POTY.

They will also get an additional £100k when Sammie makes an appearance in a competitive fixture for Ireland.