BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Szmodics-Your thoughts?

20 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t think he’s staying full stop. He’s had a great season in a poor team.

If we manage to say up, it will almost be entirely down to SS - without him, we'd be done for already.

He'll turn 29 this year and if he is to have a crack at the PL it's going to be this summer or never.

The lad deserves a far better stage than we can offer.

Sadly, our owners will see his fee as another 6 to 12 months where they don't need to input any money.  With the Wharton money, the Raya money and the SS fee, we'll be saddled with these, IMO, imbecilic and moronic owners for at least another 2 seasons after this.

• Like 3

I think regardless of if he stay up or not I can't see Sammie sticking around. He's dragged this team kicking and screaming throughout the season, and he has every right to want to move to a top end Championship club or possibly even have a crack at a bottom half Premier League club.

His value will never be higher than it is now, and the club will no doubt be looking to sell him on this summer.

28 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

A feeder club to Luton, who were embarking on a five year stint in non league as this lot bought BRFC, but ‘where would we be without them’?

We would be another Luton, only without the bounce. That's unless they leave of course and tomorrow could be the start.

Edited by lraC

While I don't think most premier league teams would be interested in him he does seem exactly a Luton signing. Works his heart out, a bit of quality where it matters. Can totally see them going for him. 

But as we saw with Kaminski they won't be giving us mega money for him. So we will have to hope someone else is willing to bid for him to drive up the price.

We've had an amazing run of pulling top scoring strikers out of hats. Hard to see where the next one comes from.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

A damning indictment of our awful tenure under this lot...a truly shameful situation.

And why can't we, why haven't we emulated them in the last decade ?

How can clubs almost extinct, Cov are another, who've plumbed the depths, had tiny income because they didn't have billionaire owners then suddenly come back and surpass us ?

Preston as well, Burnley in our shadows for 3 decades have now left us behind in the time Venkys have run this club.

It's unbelievable it's like a work of fiction.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Will leave for a low-placed Premier league Club or a Championship club looking for promotion.

Given the state of our finances and his age---£10M?

I keep thinking this myself, that due to his age etc, we would probably be looking at a fee in the region of £10 million for him to go to a Prem club, or about £8 million to go to a Championship club (would have to be one of the recently relegated ones, nobody else has that dosh really). Give or take 1 or 2 million in either case (probably take, if we get relegated).

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’s not Prem level but he’s a real asset for a top team in our division. Luton, Sheff Utd etc.

I firmly disagree with that assessment. I think he's definitely Prem level. Not absolutely smashing the goals in at Prem level like he does in the Championship of course, but I'm sure there are a few teams he could start for and several others he'd be a good squad player for. His game isn't missing much. Works his ass off, reads the game well, can pass, can score. He's short but that isn't the be all, and he's not lightning but he's not a slouch. He has also scored twice in two games against Premiership opposition in the last 12 months in the cup. If he were 23 we'd have Prem clubs all over us trying to get him.

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I keep thinking this myself, that due to his age etc, we would probably be looking at a fee in the region of £10 million for him to go to a Prem club, or about £8 million to go to a Championship club (would have to be one of the recently relegated ones, nobody else has that dosh really). Give or take 1 or 2 million in either case (probably take, if we get relegated).

I firmly disagree with that assessment. I think he's definitely Prem level. Not absolutely smashing the goals in at Prem level like he does in the Championship of course, but I'm sure there are a few teams he could start for and several others he'd be a good squad player for. His game isn't missing much. Works his ass off, reads the game well, can pass, can score. He's short but that isn't the be all, and he's not lightning but he's not a slouch. He has also scored twice in two games against Premiership opposition in the last 12 months in the cup. If he were 23 we'd have Prem clubs all over us trying to get him.

But he’s not 23.

• Like 2

Szmdics is a late developer and has got better with age but he's now at a stage when his age will be a problem for top clubs and they will not be willing to part with decent (from our point of view) money. I can't see him leaving for more than £5 million and even that might be wishful thinking

18 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Szmdics is a late developer and has got better with age but he's now at a stage when his age will be a problem for top clubs and they will not be willing to part with decent (from our point of view) money. I can't see him leaving for more than £5 million and even that might be wishful thinking

vardy was a late developer and he`s done ok,they are similar types of players as well,think sammie will get the move he deserves in the summer,we`ll want to sell (such is our ambition to sell everyone of value)and he`ll want to move,i hope he gets a move to the top flight

ironically i thought he was a head down and run merchant when he first arrived,he adapted to a higher standard very well after a couple of months

33 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Excellent player and a consummate professional.
We’ll miss him a lot more than he’ll miss us.

Yeah, he never gives less than 100% no matter what the circumstances. In an ideal world we need to keep him but his agent will have him away this summer.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

vardy was a late developer and he`s done ok,they are similar types of players as well,think sammie will get the move he deserves in the summer,we`ll want to sell (such is our ambition to sell everyone of value)and he`ll want to move,i hope he gets a move to the top flight

ironically i thought he was a head down and run merchant when he first arrived,he adapted to a higher standard very well after a couple of months

I had doubts about his technical ability when I first saw him play but he’s improved his game dramatically in his time here.